Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 ... LastLast
    Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2014
      Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
      Small update

The cradle for the third link is at the powder coaters. I should have it back at the end of this week. Then I can reinstall all my suspension. I still need to make some clearance on my inner fenders and plan out a sway bar.

We are in the middle of installing a rear sway bar on my dads 65 mustang, everything has been custom fabbed in the garage. I plan on taking the lessons learned from that and applying to my sway bar build. Should be nice.
      The tire scrubbing on my '63 is such a ridiculous pain. I just finally took it out of the garage yesterday for the first time in a couple months (loads of chassis stiffening, seats, carpet, bulkhead, 6-point roll bar, etc.), and after beating the crap out of the fenders, I've still got a bit of tire rub. It's improved greatly since I started, but the flimsy fenders don't have much of a memory for correction, it seems... Keep in mind that I've only got 15x7s; mine might be a bit lower than yours, though, but with leafs and stock-type pieces.

Anyhoo, on the rear sway bar idea, are you sure? Most race guys swear against them (think of pickup truck tail-happiness), and I spent a few years swearing against them with Mustangs I had in the past (I tried the 3/4 several times, in different configs). Only once did I smack a guardrail, though, at about 60-65. I'm considering one now, a light one, but I'll reserve the decision for the day I can lose all of my tire scrubbing and really push the Falcon at low and high (for a Falcon) speed. Typically, decent springs and axle location, with pliable shocks, are the preferred prescription for the Falcon/Mustang chassis. Stiff rear is a bad rear, unless you're at Daytona. I do understand your building/engineering proclivity, however...

Last edited by rustomatic; 07-20-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: extra word

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      The tire scrubbing on my '63 is such a ridiculous pain. I just finally took it out of the garage yesterday for the first time in a couple months (loads of chassis stiffening, seats, carpet, bulkhead, 6-point roll bar, etc.), and after beating the crap out of the fenders, I've still got a bit of tire rub. It's improved greatly since I started, but the flimsy fenders don't have much of a memory for correction, it seems... Keep in mind that I've only got 15x7s; mine might be a bit lower than yours, though, but with leafs and stock-type pieces.

Anyhoo, on the rear sway bar idea, are you sure? Most race guys swear against them (think of pickup truck tail-happiness), and I spent a few years swearing against them with Mustangs I had in the past (I tried the 3/4 several times, in different configs). Only once did I smack a guardrail, though, at about 60-65. I'm considering one now, a light one, but I'll reserve the decision for the day I can lose all of my tire scrubbing and really push the Falcon at low and high (for a Falcon) speed. Typically, decent springs and axle location, with pliable shocks, are the preferred prescription for the Falcon/Mustang chassis. Stiff rear is a bad rear, unless you're at Daytona. I do understand your building/engineering proclivity, however...
      You need to soften your front.
      Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

I am new to the site and saw your falcon it looks good.I have a 65 hardtop falcon and 63 convertible falcon. My dad has a 64 hardtop falcon.They are great cars to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 Falcon View Post
      I am new to the site and saw your falcon it looks good.I have a 65 hardtop falcon and 63 convertible falcon. My dad has a 64 hardtop falcon.They are great cars to drive.

Sounds like a nice flock you got going! Good luck with your projects.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 Falcon View Post
      Pictures or we don't believe you.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post

Congrats on driving your car. I was fitting a 245 tire all the way around with no tire rub. This was with leafs, slapper bars and lowered about 3"s. I actually plan on running the 245s again to see how much body roll I do have. since there should be no issues with rubbing a 245 now.

A leaf spring rear suspension will react differently than a linked rear suspension with coilovers.

Roll stiffness in a leaf sprung car depends on bushing compliance and leaf spring twist (too some degree) and spring rate and roll center.

If you are running heims on all 6 ends of a 3-link and spherical bearings on the coilovers, then the roll stiffness is only dependent on the roll center and spring rate and spring angle. So a sway bar would be needed to increase the roll stiffness to that of a leaf sprung car, assuming similar spring rates and roll centers. Leafs typically have a higher roll center than a linked suspension with a well designed watts or panhard.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfast View Post
      pictures or we don't believe you.
      haha. Werd!

The powder coating place had their sandblaster go down for a few days. So I guess my parts will be back by the end of this week.

aaaah the waiting game 9 months, 3 months, a week its all worth it in the end
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny68 View Post
      aaaah the waiting game 9 months, 3 months, a week its all worth it in the end
      john
      HAHAHA! absoFREAKINGlutely

A few things with this update.

I got my part back from teh powder coater. It turned out great and perfectly matches some of the other painted items I have. The car is back together and driving. I clearanced the inner wheel well. I got another 3/16" but I dont know if its enough yet. I plan on mounting the flip camera underneath and watch for tire rub. this should give me the definitive answer if I need a sway bar or not. But it is driveable!

Also, I have been thinking about a project name. How about blueprint?

Glad to hear she is back together! I would try "chalking" the sidewalls of the tires to check for tire rub; just rub white chalk on the sidewalls of the tires, go for a drive, and see what rubbed off. Might be easier than mounting a camera and reviewing the video.

Can't wait to check out the Falcon in August.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      Glad to hear she is back together! I would try "chalking" the sidewalls of the tires to check for tire rub; just rub white chalk on the sidewalls of the tires, go for a drive, and see what rubbed off. Might be easier than mounting a camera and reviewing the video.

Can't wait to check out the Falcon in August.
      Jon, only if you bring your Nova!!! HAHA.

I used white shoe polish last time and that worked well. I wouls still like to see if I have excesive sidewall deflection or any flex in the watts link. Really any other issues.

Sweet that your car is on the road, seems a little late to come up with a name tho but Id say it fits
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      Sweet that your car is on the road, seems a little late to come up with a name tho but Id say it fits
      Thanks Steve, your project is coming along nicely too!

BLUEprint: The car is blue, will be a different shade of blue next. And everything I designed for this car will be the BLUEprint for my next project!

I mounted my flip camera under the car last night and took a spin around the block. The video is upside down. I dont have any video editing software. But its still cool to see. I will start mounting in other locations as well. The video is almost up in my youtube account. Its still loading right now.

Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/user/BryceFalcon?feature=mhee

That was a pretty cool video, and it looks like the whole "chalk" mark was intact when you finished.

When do we get to see it run some cones?!
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      That was a pretty cool video, and it looks like the whole "chalk" mark was intact when you finished.

When do we get to see it run some cones?!
      Thanks Jon. No tire rub.

The rear suspension is done (for now). Just more driving and tuning. I have clearance for those 275 tires. WOOHOO.

After some more street driving I can actually go and dodge some cones.

Check out my build. i built my own torque arm rear suspension on my regal.

Dave Van Nuys
      83 455 Regal in progress

Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com