Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

700R4 shift points

What should the shift rpm points be in a 700R4? I think the tranny cable needs an adjustment. When in drive the 1 - 2 shifts are stacking on top of each other. 1st shifts at 2100 rpm, drops to 1800 in 2nd and shifts in 2nd at 2100 rpm.
      9.5 tight 2800 stall converter

70 Nova - 406 sb -488 HP/504 TQ-3:73's
      http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/steelratnova/

Country Flag: United States
      They should vary based on desire and throttle position. Best kit out there IMO www.tvmadeez.com
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

First, you need to adjust the TV cable properly and NOT play with it from there. If you adjust it incorrectly you will burn up the transmission.
      Second, the governor also has an effect that you need to take into account.

Once you've got the TV cable set properly tell us how it responds at full throttle, and how it is at mid throttle, along with what it does at light throttle.

BTO does have some well engineered kits for connecting the TV cable. They take the guesswork and uncertainty out of doing the steup and still allow for some adjustment in the part throttle mode.
      Jason Scheer

Quote Originally Posted by GetMore View Post
      First, you need to adjust the TV cable properly and NOT play with it from there. If you adjust it incorrectly you will burn up the transmission.
      Second, the governor also has an effect that you need to take into account.

Once you've got the TV cable set properly tell us how it responds at full throttle, and how it is at mid throttle, along with what it does at light throttle.

BTO does have some well engineered kits for connecting the TV cable. They take the guesswork and uncertainty out of doing the steup and still allow for some adjustment in the part throttle mode.
      Perfectly said. Getting the cable set is the first thing and a must. If adjustments are needed after this point, do everything with changing the weights or springs on the governor. You should also check out our Bowler Tru-Shift Throttle correction system. Very user friendly, no adjustments needed, you do not have to drop the pan or put a pressure gauge on. Just wide open throttle once to set the cable just as GM designed it. http://www.bowlertransmissions.com/u...shiftflyer.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check out our system.

Mark

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...o/700R4p1.html

Figure 17 was a huge help for me using a Demon carb. My linkage was way off causeing real late shifts due to the wrong radius and angle. Fabed my own and shifts awesome now at all throttle level!

What carb are you running?

Adjust the detent cable once.The gov spring swap helped my shifts.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com