Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dmax camaro

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Dmax camaro

Started a new thread from tomba67's thread "the duramax camaro" since I continued his idea.

My project is a '67 rs camaro that I am throwing an '06 lbz duramax diesel engine in. Yes, it sounds a little insane, but it's what I've wanted to do for a long time now. And yes, it will fit.

So as of right now, I'm in the middle of replacing the right rear frame rail. It was damaged when the car was in an accident a number of years ago, and just looked ugly, so I bought a goodmark complete frame rail and am installing it. After that, I will finish the dse minitub install, since the driverside is already done.

As far as the engine goes, I'm researching and talking to some people on the diesel place forum to see if someone makes a shorter oil pan so I can mount the engine as low as possible. Mike Racke, the guy who built the duramax powered '70 chevelle (wow is all I can say!) cut his oil pan and shortened it that way, or so I've heard. Many options, but I haven't decided yet. I already have the hot rod stand alone wiring harness to get the motor running from ppe.

I have a chris alston chassisworks g machine front subframe that I know will handle the weight and size of the motor. I also have their subframe connectors, and I'm considering tying in a rollcage through the floor and attatching it to the chassis for added rigidity.

I'm using the air ride bolt in 4 link setup out back which I need to modify because of the minitubs. A fab9 rear axle will be ordered from chassisworks once I get the framerail and tub job done.

I'm going to mount a 47rh chrysler tranny behind it (based off of the 727) using and adapter plate from suncoast converters. It's not electronic, so it will be easy to set up.

I'm replacing the floors, trunk floor, tail panel and both quarters. Possibly widening the quarters so I can fit a wider rear tire, kinda like the baldwin motion camaro.

Can't think of much else other than that right now. I will be working on the car this weekend, so I will take pictures and post them for all of you.
      Last edited by andrewb70; 08-02-2009 at 09:36 AM.
      '67 RS Duramax Camaro, Chassisworks subframes and cage, Built Not Bought

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57718

'94 4x4 rclb 12v cummins, twin turbo grocery getter

It will fit and I bet it would go right in my car no problem.

Check out a few of he pics at my homepage website and you will see what you might have to do and get a dimensional aspect of what can be done.

It won't hurt you a bit to tie the frame and body together. A lot of us have done it for years.

I really like the car and the diesel is really a fantastic idea and alternative. You can run that thing on corn oil from the grocery store if you have to. You gotta love the torque power and being the only one with a diesel Camaro.

Wow, you really set your small block way back through your firewall! I bet that thing will have awesome weight distribution. Nice looking '67 for sure.

Thanks for the compliments. I have heard that there are two other duramax camaro's, but I have never seen proof of them existing, so... maybe I might have the first.

I'm planning on running biodiesel in it, just for the heck of it. That way the local hippie's and prius drivers can't hate me too much.

I'm taking pictures this weekend, so come back some time and check 'em out.

Here's a link to my photobucket page with the pics I took today. Not much of a looker yet, but it'll get there one day. I can't figure out how to load pictures on the thread page so I have to resort to this right now.
      Last edited by dslhtrdr; 07-16-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Removed link, see next post

not bad, good luck with the build

Update: Figured out how to load pics. Tell me what you guys think.

I think it will be bad a$$!
      My Rides
      72 Cuda (Back to work on it)
      09 Challenger R/T (RIP)
      12 Ram R/T DD

Thanks for the compliment! Keep 'em coming. The more input I get on this the better. Since I need to replace both quarter panels, I was thinking about widening them in the process. Nothing too drastic, maybe an inch so it still looks stock, but I'll be able to fit that much more tire in the back. What do you guys think?

cool project. Definitely plan on adding some bracing for the subframe, that Dmax is much heavier than any small or big block gas engine. I just swapped out the LMM in my Dmax earlier this year, and my engine hoist that hasn't whimpered with any of the small and big blocks I've pulled in the past was beyond stressed. Had to shorten the arm as far in as it would go, welded the adjustable legs, and it still wanted to flip nose over with the weight of the engine. The subframe is already weaker than most full frames by design, and the weight and torque are going to wreak havoc with it.

Definitely doable, just plan for those changes like a cage, and front support tubes to the subframe.

Jody

Awesome project...subscribed to this one. Crazy high MPG's and the HP/Torque potential of these engines in stock form is baffling. I know these Diesels have a whole lot of STUFF attached to them, but somthing I'd really like to see (but never have) on one of these mills is the wiring harness & electronics extended and tucked/hidden...coupled with all A/N lines, it would be georgious. It's not 100% practical or necessary and sure is time consuming, but the magnitude of the swap would truely shine.

The EVS MOTORS 2JZ-GTE Camaro is a good example

Keep the updates comming
      Last edited by Ash; 07-23-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Can't spell
      You can't be slick to a can of oil

Quote Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
      cool project. Definitely plan on adding some bracing for the subframe, that Dmax is much heavier than any small or big block gas engine. I just swapped out the LMM in my Dmax earlier this year, and my engine hoist that hasn't whimpered with any of the small and big blocks I've pulled in the past was beyond stressed. Had to shorten the arm as far in as it would go, welded the adjustable legs, and it still wanted to flip nose over with the weight of the engine. The subframe is already weaker than most full frames by design, and the weight and torque are going to wreak havoc with it.

Definitely doable, just plan for those changes like a cage, and front support tubes to the subframe.

Jody
      Thanks for the advice. I am planning on some serious bracing with a good roll cage tied into the frame. A friend of mine is a professional welder and has done cages for rock crawlers before, so I have faith that we can work something out with this beast.

I know what you mean about stressing out an engine hoist with a diesel. The only engines worse than a duramax is a cummins. I know from personal experience. They weigh a little over 1000 lbs, and I've pulled one out of the same truck 6 times A duramax weighs (from what I'm told) 830 lbs or so.

I'm thinking now about buying the art morrison rear subframe for my camaro now. Saw it on the "camaro 2nv" thread, and damn! Looks awesome, and most of all, strong.

Very true Ash. There is a lot of STUFF attached to the new electronic diesels, but the hot rod harness I have from PPE is supposed to take care of it, I hope Mike Racke, the guy that built the duramax chevelle did a great job keeping it clean under the hood. I don't think I can replicate what he did though. He used twin turbos, but I want to keep the stock VGT and add an F1 Procharger from empire diesel to spool it up faster. But do I really need another pipe dream on this project?

Thanks for posting the pic, very cool! Not really a toyota fan myself, but seeing a supra motor in any muscle car is definately cool. Here's a pic of the chevelle underhood that I attached. Hope you guys like it!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a pretty crowded engine bay on that one...never seen that style of piping coupler before.

Don't know a whole lot about diesels, but are you gonna wire up the exhaust break controller? and would it be useful in this application?

...Another new feature of the Duramax 6600's turbo system is the capability of the variable-geometry turbocharger to provide exhaust braking. This function is available on some medium-duty truck models and can replace add-on exhaust brake hardware. With the new system, braking is controlled by a signal from the engine controller and can be activated by the driver...
      http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...ewsrelease.htm
      You can't be slick to a can of oil

Great Project! Mine won't be completed any time soon, but it is alive..
      69 Camaro- LBZ duramax diesel by Fleece Performance, Outlaw 10.5 Chrome-moly tube chassis by Bivens Race Cars, TCI race 4L80E with controller, Aerospace brakes, Moser fabbed 9'', Air Ride Technologies Strong Arms & Shockwaves with Airpod, KMC Nova 22x11's, 20x8.5's with Michelins, etc, etc

Thanks Morse. It turns out I'm not the only one with a dmax camaro everybody! Morse's car is on the http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php forum if anyone wants to check it out. Let's see who finishes theirs first!

Still trying to sell the air bar. One guy was gonna come and get it on monday but he backed out of the deal hours after we made an agreement. Figures . Guaranteed I'm not the only one on here where that's happened to them.

Ok, getting frustrated with flakey craigsliters. If anybody is interested in my air bar, let me know. Selling it with the air bags for $1800 OBO. Send me a pm and maybe we can work something out.

Well I'm officially not the only one on this website dropping a dmax into their project. Hang with me guys, about another month and I will be working on it much more regularly.

"Patience, young grasshopper" lol

Started tearing down the dmax last week. It's actually coming apart easier than I thought it would...

Took a few pictures of the little stuff I did. I'll be working on it later today. Since I'm going to use the stock turbo, I'm gonna take it off, sand it smooth, and polish it to look like an aftermarket turbo, just to fool some people.

I'll post more pics when I get 'em.

A diesel torque monster that can put out serious hp with a tune in a 1st GEN Camaro? You sir, are a sick, sick man! Seek help. LOL!
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      A diesel torque monster that can put out serious hp with a tune in a 1st GEN Camaro? You sir, are a sick, sick man! Seek help. LOL!
      Lol, thanks for the tip! I've been getting a lot of that with this project. Can't imagine why...

Anyway I finished tearing the dmax down to where I want it for mocking it up in the chassis. I will reinstall the turbo for that, and I might take off the fuel filter housing. I'll make that decision when I get there.

Finished removing the entire main engine wiring harness. All that's left is a few misc. plugs on the motor itself that didn't need to be taken off. A bit of a rats nest at the moment. I think I got kinda lucky with it, since there's only one plug on it that's broken (and I didn't do it). Maybe I can find a totaled dmax somewhere and rob the correct plug off of it. It's nice that each plug can pretty much only go one place, so reassembly should be a breeze.

Took the turbo off. Needed to remove the second half of the drivers side manifold to get it off. The oil drain line was getting caught on it. Gonna find some time to sand and polish it, which shouldn't take a lot of work. It's already very smooth. Just a little cleaning and some elbow grease.

The EGR pipe that routes to the stock intake elbow was cut off and welded up before I got the dmax. They did a pretty nice job. I'll need to fab up my own intake plenum and search for the right kind of intercooler setup, if I'm going to use one at all.

Factory starter.

Factory power steering pump, looks brand new. Just now took it out of the box. Gonna need to buy a power steering rack and pinion for my chassisworks front subframe, since mine is for manual steering.

Turbo oil feed line. Needs some cleaning, uh, everywhere

And finally what it looks like without the harness draped all over the top of the motor. Still a little cluttered looking, but I think it's a good start.

I'd like to leave as much stuff in the factory place as I can so it will be easier to buy/fix/repair things in the years to come. Don't know how much of that I'll be able to accomplish, but I'm gonna try.

Country Flag: Australia
      Silver and blue is always a good combination.
      Very interesting poject! Good luck.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com