Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1965 Buick Skylark base 2ddr ht v8 300

I purchased my car in 1972 when I got out of the USMC my wife of 45 years dated in it and all those years later I would like to fix it up I had the engine rebuild and not I am trying to work on the body. Auto body shops do not want to work on it except if I spend $22,000 to 40,000.00. They are nuts. I do need doors and rear quarter panels. I thought maybe try to buy another car like mine and use the parts or fix that one up. I need help and ideas if anyone can help. Thanks, Mario [email protected]

You can sure build a car worth owning without spending $40G at the body shop. I'd say the first thing to keep in mind is that you don't need a show car to enjoy driving it and being proud to talk to people about it.

Next thing is the best advice I didn't take on my last project...which years later is languishing 1,200 miles from where I now live and frankly is not worth going to get. That advice is to get the car driving ASAP and drive the wheels off it while the weather is good. The whole time you're driving it think about what you'd most like to improve, and do it during the winter. . Don't take on so much you can't finish by the time good weather comes again. You'll want some basic upgrades to suspension and brakes sufficient to mix well in modern traffic. Nothing will spoil your fun faster than some kid in a Civic merging right in front of your drum brake Skylark and nailing the brakes. Then drive the wheels off it again. Repeat every single year and your car will get better on a consistent basis. I sure wish I had taken that advice.

Next, read this. https://www.ridetech.com/how-to-build-a-happy-hot-rod/ It's GREAT advice on how to build a car you'll truly enjoy.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Country Flag: United States
      Those cars are tough to build because no model specific sheet metal is produced and most are rotted in the lower quarters etc. No door skins and no fender patch panels etc. So everything has to be fabricated which is expensive.

I think there might be a company in Quebec Canada producing quarter panel patches.

Another option would be to try to find a solid car to replace the one you have. It is likely more cost effective.

65 Skylarks are one of my favorites. Good luck with your project.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com