Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Dmax camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by '70rs View Post
      This is a very cool project. I am subscribed. Not to hi jack the thread but have you seen the chevelle that was done on MTVs "Pimp My Ride"? I never saw anything about it after the build. I only bring it up as another source for pics and info to maybe help you along in your build.
      Good luck and keep the updates coming please!
      It was a '65 Impala that was built for that show. I saw it and was impressed by how little they had to modify the car to make it fit. Diesel Power Magazine wrote an article on it. I heard that the kid they built it for totaled it. Don't know if it's true, but if it is, what a waste. That was a very special car. I would hate myself if I did that.

Can't do much to the car since I'm still trying to sell my air bar to help pay for the art morrison rear clip I want to use now, so until then the project is on hold unfortunately.
      '67 RS Duramax Camaro, Chassisworks subframes and cage, Built Not Bought

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57718

'94 4x4 rclb 12v cummins, twin turbo grocery getter

You are right. And now that you mention it , it was an Impala. That would suck to be the guy that totalled that car. I hope it was just a rumor and is still on the road somewhere.
      Good luck with yours. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

Great Project! Mine won't be completed any time soon, but it is alive..
      69 Camaro- LBZ duramax diesel by Fleece Performance, Outlaw 10.5 Chrome-moly tube chassis by Bivens Race Cars, TCI race 4L80E with controller, Aerospace brakes, Moser fabbed 9'', Air Ride Technologies Strong Arms & Shockwaves with Airpod, KMC Nova 22x11's, 20x8.5's with Michelins, etc, etc

Thanks Morse. It turns out I'm not the only one with a dmax camaro everybody! Morse's car is on the http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php forum if anyone wants to check it out. Let's see who finishes theirs first!

Still trying to sell the air bar. One guy was gonna come and get it on monday but he backed out of the deal hours after we made an agreement. Figures . Guaranteed I'm not the only one on here where that's happened to them.

Ok, getting frustrated with flakey craigsliters. If anybody is interested in my air bar, let me know. Selling it with the air bags for $1800 OBO. Send me a pm and maybe we can work something out.

Well I'm officially not the only one on this website dropping a dmax into their project. Hang with me guys, about another month and I will be working on it much more regularly.

"Patience, young grasshopper" lol

Started tearing down the dmax last week. It's actually coming apart easier than I thought it would...

Took a few pictures of the little stuff I did. I'll be working on it later today. Since I'm going to use the stock turbo, I'm gonna take it off, sand it smooth, and polish it to look like an aftermarket turbo, just to fool some people.

I'll post more pics when I get 'em.

A diesel torque monster that can put out serious hp with a tune in a 1st GEN Camaro? You sir, are a sick, sick man! Seek help. LOL!

Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      A diesel torque monster that can put out serious hp with a tune in a 1st GEN Camaro? You sir, are a sick, sick man! Seek help. LOL!
      Lol, thanks for the tip! I've been getting a lot of that with this project. Can't imagine why...

Anyway I finished tearing the dmax down to where I want it for mocking it up in the chassis. I will reinstall the turbo for that, and I might take off the fuel filter housing. I'll make that decision when I get there.

Finished removing the entire main engine wiring harness. All that's left is a few misc. plugs on the motor itself that didn't need to be taken off. A bit of a rats nest at the moment. I think I got kinda lucky with it, since there's only one plug on it that's broken (and I didn't do it). Maybe I can find a totaled dmax somewhere and rob the correct plug off of it. It's nice that each plug can pretty much only go one place, so reassembly should be a breeze.

Took the turbo off. Needed to remove the second half of the drivers side manifold to get it off. The oil drain line was getting caught on it. Gonna find some time to sand and polish it, which shouldn't take a lot of work. It's already very smooth. Just a little cleaning and some elbow grease.

The EGR pipe that routes to the stock intake elbow was cut off and welded up before I got the dmax. They did a pretty nice job. I'll need to fab up my own intake plenum and search for the right kind of intercooler setup, if I'm going to use one at all.

Factory starter.

Factory power steering pump, looks brand new. Just now took it out of the box. Gonna need to buy a power steering rack and pinion for my chassisworks front subframe, since mine is for manual steering.

Turbo oil feed line. Needs some cleaning, uh, everywhere

And finally what it looks like without the harness draped all over the top of the motor. Still a little cluttered looking, but I think it's a good start.

I'd like to leave as much stuff in the factory place as I can so it will be easier to buy/fix/repair things in the years to come. Don't know how much of that I'll be able to accomplish, but I'm gonna try.

Finally a color choice!

Well I decided to start really thinking about what color scheme I was going to do on my camaro. For the longest time I wanted to paint it viper red. Then later I wanted satin black, but any black is such a pain to take care of. So now, since I work at a body shop, and I have an abundance of color choices to choose from, this is what I've chosen. I sprayed it myself last weekend. And ya, I ran the header panel, so give me a break, lol.

The silver is a custom mix of about 50 different silvers that we had stored at the shop and mixed together in a 1 gallon can to make it. The blue is called electron blue and came on honda preludes in 2000, and maybe some other years.

I think I'm going to use the body line going along the top of the fenders to the back of the car to break the silver and blue. What do you think?

Country Flag: Australia
      Silver and blue is always a good combination.
      Very interesting poject! Good luck.

Cool project man. I'd like to put a duramax in something. Too bad they weigh so much though.
      Traven

got a picture of the plug that's broken? I may have it and will send it to you no charge.

Jody

I don't have a pic of the broken plug yet. But, if you look reeeeally close at the pic of the main engine harness above, you can kinda see it. It is slightly right of the center of the picture. It's bright green, the only bright green plug in the whole harness I believe. It's mostly covered by the harness in the picture unfortunately, so I will try to get a pic of it asap. I don't have a garage at my house so it's difficult for me to work on my projects because I have to keep them elsewhere.

That would be friggin awesome if you would be willing to do that for me! I was thinking I was going to have to find a totaled truck and rob the plug off of it. That would save me a lot of time and hassle if you happened to have the plug and could send it to me. I'd be more than willing to pay for the shipping, and a little extra for a "finders fee". Thanks a lot and let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by dslhtrdr View Post
      I don't have a pic of the broken plug yet. But, if you look reeeeally close at the pic of the main engine harness above, you can kinda see it. It is slightly right of the center of the picture. It's bright green, the only bright green plug in the whole harness I believe. It's mostly covered by the harness in the picture unfortunately, so I will try to get a pic of it asap. I don't have a garage at my house so it's difficult for me to work on my projects because I have to keep them elsewhere.

That would be friggin awesome if you would be willing to do that for me! I was thinking I was going to have to find a totaled truck and rob the plug off of it. That would save me a lot of time and hassle if you happened to have the plug and could send it to me. I'd be more than willing to pay for the shipping, and a little extra for a "finders fee". Thanks a lot and let me know!
      sorry, I do not have that section of the harness. I do know what you're talking about though. I swapped an LBZ and twin turbos into my Dmax and the guy I bought the engine from hacked the harness, just cut it instead of un-plugging it.............

Jody

Quote Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
      sorry, I do not have that section of the harness. I do know what you're talking about though. I swapped an LBZ and twin turbos into my Dmax and the guy I bought the engine from hacked the harness, just cut it instead of un-plugging it.............

Jody
      Thanks anyways. I appreciate that you were willing to help out a fellow hot rodder regardless! Sorry to hear about the harness you got from the guy. It's not very hard to unplug things...

It's been a long time since I've visited this site. I thought since I've gotten so far on the Camaro, I would share the current progress. I hope nobody gets offended because I abandoned the pro touring theme for my ultimate passion, pro street cars. I'm a drag racer at heart and built the Camaro the way I wanted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Huyp7SdZHo

If anybody would like me to post pictures of the build, I will. I have LOTS of them. It is like I said no longer a pro touring build, so I don't want to offend anybody by posting things nobody wants to see.

oh please do post up the build!!!!!!!! whats the numbers on the engine? anymore videos?
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com