Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: Denmark

BMW headlights - 1967 firebird???

Hi
      I'm thinking of installing a set of BMW headlights on my firebird. But before I start cutting up my car I'd curious about how it looks.... Could anyone help me? Here's a couple of pictures - neither of the cars are mine.. Thanks!!!!!!

just the regular sealed halogens?

I was thinking of doing all four lights, while at it

Country Flag: United States
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Thanks!!!! I'll give it a few thoughts before I start cutting..

not feeling it...

With all the good aftermarket headlights out there. I just can not see putting a set of BMW ellipsoid headlights in a firebird.

What do you get other then the euro smiley cutout on the lowbeam and replaceable bulbs.
      Nelson Parker - Sales Manager @ www.supermuscleparts.com

CURRENT PROJECTS:
      1968 Pontiac Firebird
      1967 Chevrolet K20

Quote Originally Posted by bavtech View Post
      not feeling it...

With all the good aftermarket headlights out there. I just can not see putting a set of BMW ellipsoid headlights in a firebird.

What do you get other then the euro smiley cutout on the lowbeam and replaceable bulbs.
      To start with I'd like a little bit more light. I have the headlights allready, and I think they give a lot of light compared to the sealed beams. The main reason why I don't buy the aftermarket lights is that they cost twice as much over here... If I get them in the US shipping and taxes doubles the price as well....

My frind did the new BMW head light conversion in his 69 firebird ""super cool"" i say.....

Country Flag: Netherlands
      If makes your better go for in therms of better light go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage David View Post
      My frind did the new BMW head light conversion in his 69 firebird ""super cool"" i say.....
      You wouldn't happen to have any pictures ???

Country Flag: United States
      I'd thought about trying to make the guts of some of the retrofit E36 "angel eyes" fit the El Camino.

I probably won't do it though - I'm not sure whether it'd look cool or not. Definitely give better illumination, anyway.

Il see if i can get some soon ...

If you're going to go through with the work to adapt those, check out the older (88-92) 7-series headlights:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...Q5fAccessories

These have the halo and projector lamps as well.

A friend of mine adapted some H4 headlights to his '69 Firebird and chopped a bit of the stock buckets, and they fit in there, I would put money on you could adapt the BMW headlight mounting plate in there, they are quite similar in
      shape.
      Here are the stock Firebird headlight mounts:

more pics of the '69 here:
      http://www.1969fb.com/Firebird.asp?m...ion_Electrical

With the projection headlamps you can upgrade the bulbs to a color range close to HID (4000k-5000k), or for a new more $$ can insert some true HIDs in the low beams and get some modern lighting in there.

MC84_zz4: I must admit, that I find those new e32 headlights a bit "bling bling" I have a set of the original e32 (old 7-series) headlights laying around allready. They are quite similar to the 3-series headlight in my photo. I think I prefer the black hella lights. They are quite common for the e30, but a bit more rare (more expensive) for the e34/e32

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

It's really hard, so very few people have them...

which is why I like them.

It's your car. if you want them, do it!

I modified the radiator support in my '70 Chevelle to install a set of E34 BMW headlamps. I got the idea from the Art Morrison 3G Corvette. If you go to their website you can see numerous photos of the modifications needed to add them, which is FAR harder in a 50's Corvette than your/my car. He told me they had WEEKS of actual hours involved in making them fit.

Craig Morrison is a member here and he assisted me in locating the lights. They are E34 DELO for a 5 series BMW. I paid $400 for the set, but they are available on eBay for less than 1/2 that.

The BMW mounting plate will not work. The headlights "plates" in a BMW are "stepped" to allow for the curvature of the front end. The good news is that you have the stock mounting plates to work with. I had to modify the rad. support.

I would not say that I am a fabricator by any means, but I was able to successfully create a NEAT, CLEAN, & STURDY mounting system that works with the lights. Here are a few things that may help you to do that.

Step 1-Plan on it taking a long time.
      Step 2-Take your time
      Step 3- Re-read steps 1 & 2

The BMW headlights are attached to the mounting plate in a similar fashion as the stock headlights, but the components are significantly different. The starting point is to completely disassemble the BMW lights (leaving only the light assy's and a pile of parts).

I took about a dozen close up photos of the lights before starting to disassemble them and would recommend the same for anyone trying this.

The headlight end of the adjusting/mounting studs have a ball shape with a phillips indent. They fit into a cone shaped insert, then the 2 components are press fit into the holes in the mounting ears on each headlight. There are little "ears" that keep them in place and the "press fit" provides the tension need to hold them securely yet allow you to adjust them.

NOTE: You CANNOT press them back out with out the strong possibility of cracking the headlight mounts (ask me how I know), so you SHOULD cut the plastic "cones" to remove them (ruining them) to prevent that and buy new ones. I will be buying another light set and keeping these as "replacement parts" for if/when that time comes.

The mounting nuts are really designed to accommodate aiming adjustment from the engine bay, not the grill side, so you will need some new studs/screws too. Reason is that some of them can be shortened, but some have a knurled but not a screw end.

The cones and screws are available from Bavarian Autosport www.bavauto.com, but they are not cheap (like $2-$3 each).

I bought just enough to replace the ones I cut. I want to replace all of them during the final assy, so I will be going to the local BMW dealer to see if they are cheaper.

I had to swap the left and right high beam lights to find a suitable mounting solution, then fabricate and add a bracket for the 3rd ear mounts. The part numbers of the "bulb" assy's are EXACTLY the same so there is no issue swapping side-to-side, only keeping the aim parallel to the ground (the light pattern is wide/flat not round like stock), so that is CRITICAL.

You will most likely have to cut both the stock mounting plate and possible the rad support to fit the headlights deep enough into the car so they do not stick out like "Marty Feldman Eyes". Another issue to look for is the ability to angle the lights for proper aiming. Most likely 1 of the mounting ears will be almost flush (the most inward) with the headlight plate/rad support.

I've seen a number of people come up with different ways to secure them to the rad. support (or maybe in your case the headlight support), but all of them basically use some kind of a threaded insert that holds the adjusting/mounting studs securely and allows for the studs to be used to aim the lights using the phillips end that will under the headlight trim rings.

Note on the stock chrome headlight trim inserts. The ones on the Chevelle are not round openings. They are slightly eliptical and the angle of their "cone shape" is inconsistent, so the reflection/shadowing effect of both will affect the final "locating" effort

Be prepared for it to take a lo-o-o-g time to get the 1st light fitted...disassemble, cut, grind, reassemble, doesn't fit, do over, and over.

Last but not least, the brightness of the angel eye led's are yellow-y and dim. I plan on disassembling the headlights themselves this Winter to determine if I can retro-fit a set of whiter/brighter leds.

Here's a shot of the before & finished effort (although I have at least a year before they will be lighting the road). I basically had to remove all of the metal behind the trim opening that you can see in the photo below. Good luck!

very nice my friend, you should consider taking this on full time, i have a 70 chevelle as well and i know alot of us would jump at something like this!!!!
      "Project Yeti"
      70 Chevelle Coupe

BIGGER is BETTER...
      Bigger Engine !!..........
      Bigger Wheels !!!.............
      Bigger AUDIO !!!!..................
      ---------------------------------------------------
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIRkWENUxM

Chicken coupe - Thanks for the info! I have the lights allready and I think I'll mount them. I think I'll mount the black hella versions while at it!!!

If you need some help with the mounting details, PM me.

Funny.. Was thinking of a similar thing for my '67 Firebird. Did a search and this thread came up. Just a few years late to this game, ha ha. Good info on this thread still so hopefully bringing it back will help someone else.
      Long Live the Muscle Car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com