Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

SBC fast burn heads and headers

Is there any reason a pair of SBC headers with 1-3/4" primaries won't fit the fast burn heads? I've never dealt with the fast burn heads before and just want to make sure before I assume they will.

Thanks
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

I think the FB heads have "D" shaped exhaust ports. I don't know if that matters or not.
      Jason Scheer

The exhaust ports on Fast-Burn heads are positioned a little higher than the regular bolt pattern location. If you can get a picture of F/B header gaskets compared to stock header gaskets you will see the difference. A few people have said that you can run a standard port header. I don't know if the restriction/misalignment of the port negates the advantage that the F/B heads provide. I didn't realize how few headers were available when I purchased my heads. Edelbrock makes F/B headers for some F-bodies. Otherwise Lemons or Stainless Works can custom make them for your application.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

Hedman makes a mid-length header that has the fast-burn port. (My '72 has a ZZ383)
      I ended up getting them because I wanted a good fit and didn't want any ground clearance issues. They won't clear a clutch pivot though, so if you have a stick you'll need to run a hydraulic clutch.
      The other option I've heard about is slotting the flange on a 3/4" header and sliding it up a little.
      -Rich-
      '72 Camaro RS/SS350: (ZZ383-TH350) Under Construction

'88 IROC L98 (TPI 383-700R4)

'70 VW Beetle (1600cc-Auto-Stick)

'92 Camaro RS (Carbed 350-TKO)

'04 Chevy Tahoe-Daily Driver (5.3-4L60E)

'29 Ford Sedan (Carbed 350-T5 ...Grandpa's RatRod)

Country Flag: United States
      Standard headers can work with Fastburns but the flange bolt holes will need to be slotted approx 3/16" to align the top of the port to the top of the header tube. A 1-5/8" Hooker Super Competition header will also work but the excess weld on the inside of the tube should be removed as well.

If memory serves it's a 1470 Felpro gasket.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Hello Guys

Is their any issues with spark plug clearances? I will be attempting to fit an old school set of 1 3/4 Hedmanns to my fast burn heads. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Mike

Country Flag: Canada

Update on fast burn heads

Hello friends

I thought i would update you with the info i found out about this header install. Yes Carlc is correct about port placement and his recommendation about slotting the bolt holes is spot on. However i have a tendency to over analyze things ( a lot of us gearheads are like this..lol). I currently have the heads off the car and fully disassembled, this allows me to visually see the port match looking up through the exhaust seat. My fast burns are the early style and my research says exh. port is .200 raised so its actually a bit more than 3/16. What i did was to grind the header holes downwards and keep an eye on my progress with a vernier caliper measuring the slotting as i progress. when the slots get close i then fit the header to the head and check the positioning. This prep work will pay off with a much easier install, all you have to do is pull headers up till they stop and tighten in place. You can even go as far to spot weld two holes so the slot becomes more of a permanent round hole. this will not allow the header to drop out off alignment. As we all know headers do get a bit loose on there "break in" of the gaskets and require retightening. There is always a chance they could slip down so the welding up of a few slots is added insurance. ( anal i know but some of us lose sleep over stuff like this..lol). As far as spark plug clearance goes, it all looks very good with #3 cylinder a little tight but still has an air gap between boot and header tube. These are Hedman 1-3/4 tubes purchased in 1985 (early F body). I might just give it a little tweak (dent) for a bit more clearance. I'm happy I can make these old school headers work, i'm a frugal car guy, like a lot of us.

Cheers and take care guys!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com