Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Well chances are an earlier car would be lighter than the 87, it just so happens that he had the information for his car. Note there aren't a lot of v6 cars posted from the earllier years. Note that the 82 firebird is pretty damn light and it has a v8. I think a base 82 camaro is likely just as light.

But realistically, if you want a car to race, the best thing to do is watch the CMC and SCCA boards. There are some killer deals that come up on american sedan cars and the like.

I know part of the fun is building your own, but no one says you can't start your build from a proven race car.

Chances are you'll save a little weight starting from a 82-84 chassis, but if youre stripping it down. I'd just grab whatever you find in good shape, they're almost free.

Yeah, I've seen CMC cars going for $8000, definitely a good start, and yeah, the Firebirds are definitely alot lighter but I will go Chevy, old school 383 stroker, M-22 trans, and independent rear suspension, Thats the plan.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

looking for a road racer here a good starting point
      http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...ICAN-IRON.html

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by joe5.8 View Post
      looking for a road racer here a good starting point
      http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...ICAN-IRON.html
      agreed....it already has "all the good chit in it"
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Quote Originally Posted by Gitter Dun View Post
      Yeah, I've seen CMC cars going for $8000, definitely a good start, and yeah, the Firebirds are definitely alot lighter but I will go Chevy, old school 383 stroker, M-22 trans, and independent rear suspension, Thats the plan.
      I don't think the firebird are always lighter, I was just stating that the early cars tend to be lighter as they likely added subtle chassis modifications thru the production run

My '89 weighed in at 3250 wet, according to the gravel pit scales.
      1969 1/2 Maverick
      4.6 DOHC, Mustang II front, T56, & Cobra IRS
      Custom Interior in the works.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2200206

Getting closer to putting "Project Snowball" on the road. We don't advertise this 89 Formula as a Pro-touring build in GM High Tech Performance, but I think it's safe to say it's a PT car.

The photo is from the May 2010 article in GM High Tech Performance where the Formula gets Baer 6S brakes, Toyo R888's, and Budnik GTX's
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: Netherlands
      mine's getting closer too! Engine and tranny are in, susp.& brakes all done (except parking brake cables)

Hopefully it won't be long before it's like this

I'm REALLY regretting looking at this thread. Now I have another car to add to the list of builds I want to do.

TWIN TURBO - didn't you have 2 badass C3 Vette builds going on a year or so ago?

Here's a couple third gens in my stable. Not sure which one of these I'm gonna do 1st. I gotta finish my 2nd gen TA too.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Jeff Schwartz 815-770-0751
      SchwartzPerformance
      Where classic style meets modern performance.
      455 Commanche Circle
      Harvard IL 60033
      SchwartzPerformance.com | Facebook | Twitter

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Quote Originally Posted by brrymnvette View Post
      I'm REALLY regretting looking at this thread. Now I have another car to add to the list of builds I want to do.

TWIN TURBO - didn't you have 2 badass C3 Vette builds going on a year or so ago?

Yeah, the 82 is still in the same state, haven't touched it. The 77 is done apart from putting the hood on and doing some final tweaks here and there.

77:
      http://www.vettemod.com/forum/imageh...9818ee78a3.jpg

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/imageh...ef710ca97b.jpg

There's an old threads here for both of them, the 77 has the latest update. the 82...oh, not since a couple of years. Problem is, I have an 82 Trans Am coming in and I also have an 86 Monte Carlo on the way and I can;t just leave well enough alone.

I see some pro touring potential in this... it has a E4ME Q jet 305 now....hmmm, that's not good.

I guess I'm a sucker for 80s US cars that no one else likes (here) and I don't even live in a trailer LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek View Post
      Getting closer to putting "Project Snowball" on the road. We don't advertise this 89 Formula as a Pro-touring build in GM High Tech Performance, but I think it's safe to say it's a PT car.

The photo is from the May 2010 article in GM High Tech Performance where the Formula gets Baer 6S brakes, Toyo R888's, and Budnik GTX's
      Just happy to see some more third gen love in your mag! Keep it coming!
      Brandon Pursley,

Just curious for you third gen guys. Has anybody used a tubular K-member? I was thinking about picking up a third gen and doing an LSX swap. The tubular K-members for these cars are pretty cheap, but I don't know how much of an improvement they would be over stock other than weight savings. Seems like you could put a couple of grand into all the suspension upgrades, do some C5/C6 brakes and an LSX and have an extremely capable autocrosser for 10K if you don't do paint and body. Am I missing something?
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      Just curious for you third gen guys. Has anybody used a tubular K-member? I was thinking about picking up a third gen and doing an LSX swap. The tubular K-members for these cars are pretty cheap, but I don't know how much of an improvement they would be over stock other than weight savings. Seems like you could put a couple of grand into all the suspension upgrades, do some C5/C6 brakes and an LSX and have an extremely capable autocrosser for 10K if you don't do paint and body. Am I missing something?
      There have been numerous threads on this over at thirdgen.org From what I remember reading the tubular cross members aren't much lighter, but what they do provide is more space under the car. more space for headers, turbo ,etc. Also, you can have a rack and pinion steering set up, too.

Just do your research before you buy. not all of them on the market are really designed for street use.

Again, from what I remember reading. I was looking into this when I had my '84 T/A with LS1 engine.

I hope this helps.
      Long Live the Muscle Car

There isnt a k-member on the market for the 3rd gen which i would use in an autocross or roadrace application. UMI offers(offered) a roadrace version for 4th gen cars, You may be able to see if they are able to engineer an upgraded version for thirdgens, but the demand isnt really there.

Here is a nice one selling for a fraction of the build cost:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...maro-iroc.html

Staying with the 305 was an interesting choice given the level of mods to this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
      Here is a nice one selling for a fraction of the build cost:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...maro-iroc.html

Staying with the 305 was an interesting choice given the level of mods to this car.
      Interestingly enough, this is the car that started the thread. It is a nicely done example and I think it is cool that he stayed with the 305 but is making a ton of power.
      Stephen

Dang, somebody stole that thing for 10 grand!!
      Life is Better Spent in the Garage
      Laine O

72 Camaro, 468, TH400, 3:42 = FUN!
      92 Camaro RS, Restored Autocross wannabe

LIVE LOVE DRIVE!

Wow, that Camaro went for $10k? Thats crazyness!

Maybe when I finish with my Monte Carlo I will start a 3rd gen Fbody project.

Hey Twin Turbo. What brand header wrap are you using?
      Thanks.
      MarkK

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com