Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Just curious Trey, but did you look at the 4th gen tank compared to the 2nd gen tank. I was wondering if you could do a tank swap. I realize the 4th gen tanks have the filler neck that connects to the drivers quarter, but I will be doing an LSx swap into a second gen and I was thinking about a billet filler on the quarter and having the tank straight out of an LS1 car would make for a nice swap. I have neither seen either tank out of the car nor can I remember what my 4th gen tank looked like when I had one, so I may be way off base here. Let me know since you have laid eyes on both during this project.

Stephen

I never considered it since my 2nd gen tank was in good condition. I'm honestly not sure if the tanks would swap. The LS1 tanks after 98 were plastic. My 96's tank was metal. What you may want to look into doing is swapping in the LS1 fuel pump assembly to your 2nd gen tank. That's what I would do if I had an LS1 tank to start with.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Thanks, just curious if there was an easy solution. My guess is they are too different to use or you would see more people using the LS1 tanks with swaps.
      Stephen

My tank in the Trans Am was in good shape so I was going to order one of these from Tanks Inc. for $225 & stick it in. You could always just get a new Spectra EFI tank from Rock Auto as well for $450 & just be done with it (which is what I did) Just a few options for you

HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Those are nice options too. The swap will be down the road, but the tank options have been on my mind as I slowly assemble parts.
      Stephen

Good idea on the Spectre tank. I had forgotten the early 2nd gen cars had that as an option as well. Still not much love for the late 2nd gens in the market place yet.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

got dang those m-pars look great on there--are you still around athens, or have you already moved? If you're still in GA you oughta sneak out to PSMC this weekend,just to show the ol' girl off...

Thanks Wes. I leave friday morning for Colorado unfortunately so yet again I will miss the PSMC.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Trey,
      What master cylinder and booster did you use. I need to go all the way back through this thread and will likely do just that when I start getting my hands dirty on my car. Also, when you have the car out again, try and get some good shots of how the tires look from the back. I have stumbled across some 9.5 inch wide wheels that I really like and I am wanting to know how a 275 would look. In the pics that you have already posted, the width of the tire gets lost in the shadows.

(edit) I found that you used your LT1 master, follow up question, you have had the car on the road for limited runs, so how is the pedal feel with this particular master?
      Stephen

Well, I'm in Colorado now and the car is back in Georgia so pictures will be a problem. I drove the car a few times before leaving and the pedal felt fine. Travel was not much at all to actually stop the car but i was only stopping from ~30-35mph. I did a couple brake checks from a little higher and the brakes work very well. Still haven't adjusted the prop valve so I am sure there is more tuning to be had with the brakes.

if you run this MC, make sure you get the line nuts with it because they aren't easy to find typically.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Just reading through the thread again, this is going to be a good reference for me. Hurry up and get the car to Colorado and enjoy your hard work.
      Stephen

Good I am really glad it will help you out. That was my whole reason for showing this build in such detail especially with the engine and trans even if they aren't common.

It's looking like I will have to buy a house before I can bring it out here. So maybe 1 year. There are a lot of foreclosures and short sales in this area. I'm making enough and living so far below my means that I'll be able to save quickly. Most houses have two car garages and they aren't two barely fitting into the place garages.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Trey-
      Beautiful job on your car! The wheels look fantastic on there! I never thought I'd say this, but nice job on the <non-Pontiac> engine (okay, that's enough... I gotta shower after that comment)- the reuse of parts was very creative and resourceful. I like how you packaged the computer and wiring- very neat job!
      I'm showing my nine year old some of the pics to help him visualize what's after the "take it apart, clean it, clean it some more" stage. He's very excited to see your car "finished."
      A couple of random thoughts:
      1) When I "built" my 88 T/A's engine (back in early 1993), I had a place called B&B Performance (So Cal) make me some custom valve covers for the "new" centerbolt heads- that might be a really nice touch for such a fine install/display of craftsmanship.
      2) It seems that the Impala SS/ Caprice/ Roadmaster cars had a plastic gas tank that will bolt right in to a second gen. I 'think' I read an install piece on it on this forum. I suppose it's a little late for that now, but it may help other folks.
      3) Did I tell you how nice your car looks?
      4) Any issues w/ the core support (lining it up, tightening the hardware, etc)?
      Thanks!

So you didn't use the pedals from your 96 formula. I'm doing a similar swap(LS1/T56) and I was going to attempt adapting the pedal assembly to the car. But I was wondering if I can take just the clutch pedal out and adapt it to the firewall along with the MC from the 2000 WS6 I got it from.
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

thank you for the kind words John. Eventually i may do something with the valve covers as the stock stamped steel ones aren't the nicest you're right. The core support lined up well enough. The driver's side was not perfect and was actually out a little bit. i was able to get it all lined up and then bolted down. I'll do a better job next time but for now it works.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Quote Originally Posted by zamora7 View Post
      So you didn't use the pedals from your 96 formula. I'm doing a similar swap(LS1/T56) and I was going to attempt adapting the pedal assembly to the car. But I was wondering if I can take just the clutch pedal out and adapt it to the firewall along with the MC from the 2000 WS6 I got it from.
      correct. you need to get factory four speed pedals which is a clutch and brake pedal. i show how to do it back on some of the earlier pages.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Great build, Looks good!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Thank you. I was surprised to see my thread brought back to life. Nothing's changed with the car. It's still in GA and I'm in TX now. I did drive it last week for all of 3 minutes. I had to go back to GA unexpectedly so I figured I might as well drive it while I'm there.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Nicely Done! Thanks for the good reading.

Thanks! One day I'll get back on it and get it road worthy so I can drive and enjoy the car.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com