Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New front seats

Got the seats....just need to which wire to connect to....

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by jocko124 View Post
      The installer attached a set of wires to the seats so I can operate the seats via a 12v battery. I'm not sure if the seats will retain the Memory settings under my current setup. I know you can get wiring harnesses for the seats from BMW. I'm not sure what that does for you. Maybe Daredvl22 can chime in on this--- I think he has a good handle on wiring these seats.

I haven't installed, nor wired my seats yet. I did call my local BMW dealer and I can buy the complete wiring harness to power both seats for about $150. My plan is to remove the seats from my daily driver ('08 M3) and refer to that as my template to create the mounts for my seats, kind of like a template. I'll probably buy the wiring harness, only so I can connect everything into the motors mounted under the seats correctly. Then, I'll need to identify the functionality of each wire. Shouldn't be too hard once I get my hands on a wiring diagram and a 12v battery. Maybe one day I'll get to this part of my build!
      Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Quote Originally Posted by daredvl22 View Post
      I haven't installed, nor wired my seats yet. I did call my local BMW dealer and I can buy the complete wiring harness to power both seats for about $150. My plan is to remove the seats from my daily driver ('08 M3) and refer to that as my template to create the mounts for my seats, kind of like a template. I'll probably buy the wiring harness, only so I can connect everything into the motors mounted under the seats correctly. Then, I'll need to identify the functionality of each wire. Shouldn't be too hard once I get my hands on a wiring diagram and a 12v battery. Maybe one day I'll get to this part of my build!
      You only need to connect the positive and the negative wires of the seats to a 12v source. I believe it will be the largest red wire (postive) and the largest brown wire (ground) if my memory serves me correct. I'm at the office right now. All the other functions will work with the exception of the memory features, and I believe you have to have the BMW BCM for that. It really is pretty simple. Hope this helps.

Sam
      69 Firebird convertible T/A pro-touring custom, Now LS1/T56 six speed, 3:42 Eaton posi, 18" Iforged wheels, 04 GTO interior.
      www.fquick.com/SamHatco
      Jack of all trades, master of none.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHatco View Post
      You only need to connect the positive and the negative wires of the seats to a 12v source. I believe it will be the largest red wire (postive) and the largest brown wire (ground) if my memory serves me correct. I'm at the office right now. All the other functions will work with the exception of the memory features, and I believe you have to have the BMW BCM for that. It really is pretty simple. Hope this helps.

Sam
      Sam,
      I hooked a battery to the Red and Brown cable. Everything except for lumbar worked, but after 20 seconds or so nothing worked. I waited about 15 minutes, came back and the seat worked again for about 20-30 sec then became unresponsive again. I'm lost.......

Quote Originally Posted by fast400 View Post
      Sam,
      I hooked a battery to the Red and Brown cable. Everything except for lumbar worked, but after 20 seconds or so nothing worked. I waited about 15 minutes, came back and the seat worked again for about 20-30 sec then became unresponsive again. I'm lost.......

I'm dealing with the same problem. After 15 seconds of so, I lose function (sliding seat forward/back and seat back forward/back). If you can't get the lumbar working, it's because you're missing a ground wire. I had the same problem while I was trouble shooting. I disconnected one of my ground wires, and lost that function. Once I reconnected it I had lumbar function again. Also, i never lose lumbar function, like I do with the sliding mechanism. If anyone know why this is, I'm all ears!!

BTW - I'm back working on my seats again, so I'll post some pics soon. I was actually figuring out how I'm going to mount them in the car again last night.
      Dave

1972 Nova

Sam,
      Fast400, I'm not sure what is going on. That's all I did to get my seats working. Do you have the pigtail that plugs into the seat? I made sure that I did so when I wired it up power was to the entire plug.

Sam
      69 Firebird convertible T/A pro-touring custom, Now LS1/T56 six speed, 3:42 Eaton posi, 18" Iforged wheels, 04 GTO interior.
      www.fquick.com/SamHatco

Seat install update

Ok, I've finally got around to installing my seats. It took a little fabrication, but that's most of the fun! I had to create a new mounting bracket out of 3/16 x 1 1/2 flat stock, and 16 ga. to give me the strength and support needed. Overall, I think it turned out pretty good, and I can't complain with the finished product. I still need to do the drivers side, but it should go pretty quick now that I know what I'm doing.

1) shot of the bracket. I used grade 8 allen head bolts and welded the bolts to the under side of the bracket itself.

2) Here's a shot of the bracket as I was fabbing up on the bottom of the seat to get the proper fitment.

3)Bracket installed on the floor board. Notice the stock seat pan was not used because it made the seat sit too high.

4)Installed w/out the head rest.

5)Installed with the headrest. I plan on keeping the headrest because it captures the look I'm going for.

6) Good shot of the minimal spacing between the rocker and seat. Very tight, but overall perfect fit. I still had plenty of space against the tunnel on the opposite side. I did have to slightly cut and re-weld one spot on th tunnel that stuck out too far.

Hope this is useful. if anyone has questions, let me know. Sorry, pics are a little big, I need to figure out how to re-size. Also, let me know your thoughts on the seats. I appreciate everyone's opinions.
      Dave

1972 Nova

I have some seats from a GTO. I didn't get the connector from the car side of the harness, and can't get them from GM. Any suggestions where to get them, or where to get a completely new connector to take its place.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

connector

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      I have some seats from a GTO. I didn't get the connector from the car side of the harness, and can't get them from GM. Any suggestions where to get them, or where to get a completely new connector to take its place.

Scot,

Do a little research on the connector itself. I'm sure you can find it. I had to do the same with my seats. I discovered the the connector was actually made by Tyco. It is a standard 19-PIN connector. Fortunately for me, I was able to buy it through my BMW dealership once I figured out the part #. I think it was only $3.

If you know anyone with a GTO look at the connector on their seats. That's where you'll find the part # you're looking for, or maybe someone here can look at theirs and give you what you need. Good luck!
      Dave

1972 Nova

head room

Quote Originally Posted by 69keith View Post
      They look a little high..
      Passenger seat is installed and I have plenty of head room. I'm 6'1". I still need to do the drivers side, but I don't suspect there will be any problems....I hope
      Dave

1972 Nova

Scot,

Do a little research on the connector itself. I'm sure you can find it. I had to do the same with my seats. I discovered the the connector was actually made by Tyco. It is a standard 19-PIN connector. Fortunately for me, I was able to buy it through my BMW dealership once I figured out the part #. I think it was only $3.

If you know anyone with a GTO look at the connector on their seats. That's where you'll find the part # you're looking for, or maybe someone here can look at theirs and give you what you need. Good luck!
      I haven't looked into it for a while, but did a few months back. Didn't have any luck, looked through the GM book on connectors, and searched the net for the P/N that is on it. Didn't have any luck there. It's not a standard GM Weatherpak connector.

Here are pics:

Scot
      86 Monte SS

Check with Cleveland Pick A Part. They sell a lot of GTO interiors
      www.fquick.com/SamHatco

Man, those seats are SO nice looking! Makes me feel like I don't just want a pair but NEED a pair! Hahaha. I bet they're very comfortable too.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHatco View Post
      Fast400, I'm not sure what is going on. That's all I did to get my seats working. Do you have the pigtail that plugs into the seat? I made sure that I did so when I wired it up power was to the entire plug.

Sam
      Sam,
      I didn't have the plug, so I temporarily connected with alligator clips through a fuse to battery. The odd thing is that the seat will function for 15-20 sec, then quit.??
      Maybe the Germans are soo efficient that they figure you should be adjusted in 15sec or less...

Country Flag: China
      Good info and looks like a professional install.

Nice welding. Was that MIG?

I have a set of BMW M3 convertible seats going in my 68 camaro and this will be a big help.

Sam,
      I didn't have the plug, so I temporarily connected with alligator clips through a fuse to battery. The odd thing is that the seat will function for 15-20 sec, then quit.??
      Maybe the Germans are soo efficient that they figure you should be adjusted in 15sec or less...
      The reason this is happening is because it's on some kind of relay, or there is a resistor connected to one of the power wires. I almost have this figured out. I'm not an electrical guy, so I may call Jay at ISIS and see if he knows what I can do to solve this issue. I am fortunate to have a '08 M3 I can use as my guinea pig. I've removed the seats and tested every wire going to the seats. There are only 3 power wires feeding the seats. However, one of the wires does not send the same voltage and it changes when I have the keys close to the car "comfort access". This tells me that there I have to go something to limit the power coming from this wire. If I try and adjust the seats without my keys in my pocket, or in the car, I lose all functions to my power seats in about 15 min. So, power to the wiring harness is somehow being shut off. This is much more complicated than I anticipated, but I'm determined to figure it out. If you figure it out before I do, please let me know!
      Dave

1972 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by meenaggie View Post
      Good info and looks like a professional install.

Nice welding. Was that MIG?

I have a set of BMW M3 convertible seats going in my 68 camaro and this will be a big help.
      Thanks, yes MIG welds.
      Dave

1972 Nova

Daredvl22,
      I've looked at this site...only problem I have an Apple and things aren't showing up right. http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/

I've tried that site numerous times, from different PC's and I can never seem to download the wiring diagrams. It would be helpful, but I've had no luck.
      Dave

1972 Nova

Is there any kind of write up like this for GTO seats going into a Chevelle?
      70 Chevelle LS3 T-56 Whiplash Rushforth Wheels.
      Paint design by Jason Rushforth

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com