Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

$20K budget- need advice on best full size van.

My wife oversees a not-for-profit human services agency and they received a grant of $20K to buy a 12 passenger van for transport. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
      Skip

dang i thought we had a $20k budget for a pro-touring full-size van build-up lol

i take it you are looking at used and not new?

i reccommend the Chevy Express

Quote Originally Posted by nightrunner View Post
      dang i thought we had a $20k budget for a pro-touring full-size van build-up lol

i take it you are looking at used and not new?

i reccommend the Chevy Express
      You mean 'The Denimachine part deaux?!

I'm thinking a new 12 passenger would be way over the $20K budget.

So yes, used.

I'll check the Express out...thanks.
      Skip

Country Flag: United States
      I'm not much of a ford guy myself, although I've had some friends that have had great luck with the E-250s and 350's. Great reliability and low maintenance costs.

I have been told that the previous body style was a little lacking in the HP department, but shouldn't be too big of an issue if it's just a people carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
      I have been told that the previous body style was a little lacking in the HP department, but shouldn't be too big of an issue if it's just a people carrier.
      PFFF... what? Call yourself a car guy with that attitude? haha

Having drove a '98 E250 for 5 years with the 5.4L. It moved out alright for being a van. Thing ran forever... rarely did maintenance to it. Not that it didn't need work done to it, but we just never took it in. Never broke though.

Also had an older '95 E250 with the 4.9L Inline 6 motor. Now talk about a motor that'll last forever. I ran that thing into the ground, thermostat would get stuck closed and it would start to over heat... then it'd finally open and the Temp would fall back down. Had a metric-crap-ton of miles on it.

Ford makes good fleet vehicles. I'll say that much.
      Matt Briggs
      1971 Camaro RS - Race car in progress

My dad and I wholesale cargo vans. You cant go wrong with either the big chevy or ford vans!
      Alex McCarty
      1955 Chevrolet 210 "JOE BEN", 425hp 355 smallblock, saginaw 4 speed
      1966 Chevelle: Talldeck 427 bigblock, turbo 400, 12 bolt

Thanks guys...
      Skip

Chevy express series... I have 4 of them 01,03,05 and 08' ... Paid $20,847 out the door for a Express 2500 3/4 ton van 08'
      in Louisville, Ky...a 1500 series would be less...Watch out, there is a huge price difference between dealers.....I also had 98 and 99 Ford econoline 250's, both had tranny problems before 100k, but that was ten years ago...
      - Mark
      67' RS Camaro - 468/476hp, polished, show car
      68' Camaro drag car-507/752hp,-13.1:1, only 241 miles
      79' TransAm- 540/763hp, Dave Monday custom built chasis,pump gas-10.2:1, LSM,CFS,Callies,AFR
      80' Z/28- all original, black w/ red stripes, 2nd owner, loaded, all paperwork - excellent driver

Being a Chevy guy I hate to say it... but the Ford Van's are nicer. I'm in the rental industry so I've tried them all.

I'm looking at Enterprise inventory and they have one for sale in Clifton (no I'm not in car sales)
      http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/ca...DA82014&type=1
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

For us (roofers), having multiple drivers and them not caring about taking care of a vehicle! The vans, it's a Chevy. But the trucks, it's Ford. Hands down.
      IMO
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

ford or chevy, in vans it's pretty much all the same. but if you go diesel, the chevy will be MUCH easier to work on. and chevy's will probably be cheaper, especially if you find a dealer getting dumped.
      work in progress--for the next 10 years.
      1987 monte carlo ss 383ci, 9.7:1, xe274 cam, vortec heads, 200r4, 3.73 posi.

Thanks again guys for the input.
      Skip

I drove a '99 Express 2500 for about 7 years for work. I only had trouble with it once, but it was after a buttload of highway miles. In my opinion it drove MUCH better than a Ford. It didn't feel as much like a truck as the Ford did. It had good power and was comfortable driving for long periods of time.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

My father owns daycares and puts tons of miles on his e350 15 passenger vans. No problems ever except more interior squaks and rattles as they get older. Great for towing cars and boats... Tons of space when you pull the seats out. Tinted the windows to help ac
      keep up with 15 sweaty kids in the middle of summer :
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

IF you plan to haul people with a VAN check with your insurance carrier FIRST!

It has becoming VERY hard to insure a 15 passenger or 12 passenger 3/4 or 1 ton van when the van used for transporting people. Many transport companies, local transit companies, taxi services, churches and non-profits are selling their window vans because coverage is very expensive or they can no longer get transport insurance when the "cargo" hauled by a van is people. Lot's of accidents and claims with this type of equipment when used for the transportation of people. Most of these former van users have moved up to larger bus based units or stopped providing their transport services.

Before you buy anything, check with your insurance carrier as the type of insurance they will write will probably dictate the type of equipment you purchase.

If you can and do buy a van, buy a 1 year old used van. There are LOT'S of nice low mileage window vans available for cheap money. Work vans without windows that are not used for transportation of people still sell well and bring decent money based upon condition and mileage.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

fOR 20 K you could probably pick up an converted Express bus with proper doors, seats and belts reasonable. used to do service for local schools on thiers and they rarely had any issues in driveline. Mosly AC isues and electrical from daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      IF you plan to haul people with a VAN check with your insurance carrier FIRST!

It has becoming VERY hard to insure a 15 passenger or 12 passenger 3/4 or 1 ton van when the van used for transporting people. Many transport companies, local transit companies, taxi services, churches and non-profits are selling their window vans because coverage is very expensive or they can no longer get transport insurance when the "cargo" hauled by a van is people. Lot's of accidents and claims with this type of equipment when used for the transportation of people. Most of these former van users have moved up to larger bus based units or stopped providing their transport services.

Before you buy anything, check with your insurance carrier as the type of insurance they will write will probably dictate the type of equipment you purchase.

If you can and do buy a van, buy a 1 year old used van. There are LOT'S of nice low mileage window vans available for cheap money. Work vans without windows that are not used for transportation of people still sell well and bring decent money based upon condition and mileage.
      I've been reading about the 15 pass 1 car accidents. Much more highly prone to rollovers.

I haven't read about the issues with the 12 pass problems though.
      Skip

Quote Originally Posted by WaterCooledNelds View Post
      I haven't read about the issues with the 12 pass problems though.
      12 passenger or 15 passenger van doesn't matter. You still must check first with your insurance carrier prior to purchase of any people transport vehicle.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      12 passenger or 15 passenger van doesn't matter. You still must check first with your insurance carrier prior to purchase of any people transport vehicle.
      Insurance issue has been addressed already.
      Skip

I vote for the Ford. We do maintenance on both as we have the Ford and Chevy vans in our fleet.
      The Chevy seems a little cheaper. Plus, support the company that DIDN'T take a government bailout.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com