Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Hot Rod Garage

Will be starting on a new house soon and I've been thinking of all the things I can do with the garage since it'll be a clean sheet design. Back in the mid 90's Hot Rod (I believe, could have been Car Craft) did a story on the ultimate car guy garage - there was even an overhead layout showing cabinet/tool placement. Does anyone remember that story? I remember thinking it was very well thought out and detailed, but can't find the issue it was in for the life of me.

I'm not talking about a garage-mahal, large-budget type garage, just a normal 2 car garage (3 car in my case - although the wife's car will undoubtedly take up one of the spaces) with your normal assortment of car guy tools - a couple of tool chests, an air compressor, shop vac, work bench, welder, floor jacks, jack stands...etc.

I'm really looking for that issue with the story, but I'm willing to take any advice/input on how to set up the garage. Some of the things I already have in mind:

1. 50a/220v outlet for welder/compressor
      2. Electrical outlets 36" high spaced every 4' along two walls - normal spacing on third wall.
      3. Plumbed for small sink - for hand washing, non-toxic parts washing.
      4. Multiple outlets in ceiling - for additional lighting, ext. cord on a reel, fan
      5. Insulated walls (builders in Texas don't normally insulate garage walls)
      6. Insulated garage doors.
      7. Absolutely level floor (you would be surprised how many garage floors have a slope to them)
      8. House will have gas, so I'm thinking of adding a drop in the ceiling for a future garage heater.

That's about it so far. I want a lot of cabinets, but don't know what I'll do about them yet. Gotta be cheap - craigslist maybe?

Country Flag: United States
      City code where I'm at required a slope on the garage floor. You might want to check your municipality.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

How can you call it "ultimate" without including a lift? Ask for 10' ceiling in one bay, along with 6" thick concrete. Now your 3-car garage becomes a 4-car, for only a few grand.
      Co-Founder, LS1TECH.com

Forged Wheel Dealer, Contact me for a quote!
      www.DV8Motoring.com

The slop sure help with water drainage if you park dirty cars in the garage and need to clean it out you will like it.(it snows in my area)
      I actually wash and wax my cars in the garage on hot and windy days.
      I had my garage extended 10’ deeper so I have workspace in front of the cars for all my stuff makes for a great work space.
      After I finish my convertible, I would like to tile the extra space.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
      How can you call it "ultimate" without including a lift? Ask for 10' ceiling in one bay, along with 6" thick concrete. Now your 3-car garage becomes a 4-car, for only a few grand.
      X2 try to work a 4 post lift with bridge jacks into the budget or at least set one spot up for one.
      try criags list for cabnets tools ect..

1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

I personally would ad a drain in the floor of the garage for washing cars, wetsanding, rinsing out the garage. Also move the compressor outside and just run cheap pvc pipe into the garage with a few different places to plug in for air.

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      I personally would ad a drain in the floor of the garage for washing cars, wetsanding, rinsing out the garage. Also move the compressor outside and just run cheap pvc pipe into the garage with a few different places to plug in for air.
      Worst idea ever.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

The Garage Turned out Nice.

When I designed my One Car Garage, I made sure I had the Ceiling Height for the 4 Post Lift ( I bought a American-Made Rotary), I put the Compressor Outside to get rid of the Noise (But it has it's own enclosure to keep it out of the Elements), Room for the Snap-On 54" Wide Box and of course the Beer Fridge!

T.C.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      Worst idea ever.
      Why is that the worst idea ever...not that kind agree or disagree but man if your going to insult someone you should maybe say why it's such a bad idea in your mind, while you're at it suggest why your idea would be so much better....this is how people learn.....!

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Why is that the worst idea ever...not that kind agree or disagree but man if your going to insult someone you should maybe say why it's such a bad idea in your mind, while you're at it suggest why your idea would be so much better....this is how people learn.....!
      A Google search on "compressed air PVC" returns 1,360,000 results. I didn't read all of them, but here's a very brief sample:

http://compressedair.squarespace.com...ir-system.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...not-do-230253/

When PVC goes, it creates shrapnel which, if not imbedded in skin, can do nasty things to paint.

I use copper pipe; others use iron pipe; still other use products expressly intended to last under the pressure of compressed air and the occasional impact that destroys PVC systems.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      A Google search on "compressed air PVC" returns 1,360,000 results. I didn't read all of them, but here's a very brief sample:

http://compressedair.squarespace.com...ir-system.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...not-do-230253/

When PVC goes, it creates shrapnel which, if not imbedded in skin, can do nasty things to paint.

I use copper pipe; others use iron pipe; still other use products expressly intended to last under the pressure of compressed air and the occasional impact that destroys PVC systems.
      Personally I completely agree and would never have suggested it either, I just thought that the post was. Lacking in information for someone who may have considered it a good idea. That said I really hope that he was suggesting using the cheap PVC as a grommet so to say for the steel pipe to run thru lol
      Thanks for helping others realize the dangers on why it is the worst idea ever
      Cheers Ryan Austin

x3 on the lift, if anything think where you may put it and put a 2-Pole 30amp circuit in for it. Also being in Texas how about a Mitsubishi Slim Jim A/C unit as well. Also do you have Neon signs and or clocks? Put receptacles high on the walls and have 1/2 operated by the switch so you can turn them on via a switch instead of having the strings hanging. Also a dedicated recpt for a fridge is nice too. Another thing i wish i had done is provision for washer and dryer for all the dirty car towels. Definitely a telephone jack, TV Jack and internet jack if you are not going to have a wireless router. Also stereo speakers in the ceiling and put the receiver in mechanical room or closet and pull the speaker wires back to there.
      John McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
      City code where I'm at required a slope on the garage floor. You might want to check your municipality.

I've already checked into that. I just moved from Denver where it was code to have a sloped garage floor, but here in Texas (where I live, at least) there is no such code. The sloped floor would drive me nuts every time I used a tool cart or anything else on wheels - I'd have to unlock the wheels to move it where I wanted it, then lock them back to keep it in place, then unlock them again to move it...on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post

Okay, scratch the use of the word "ultimate" (adequate, maybe?) The lift is a great idea but the cost of the lift, combined with the cost of the framing modifications to the garage and extra thick concrete it would require, puts it out of my budget. I could swing a few grand, but I bet the cost would actually be double or triple that, if not more. I understand that now is the time to do it, but, until my 3 girls are grown and out of the house I will be on a very strict budget with all of my projects - garage included.

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      ...Also move the compressor outside and just run cheap pvc pipe into the garage with a few different places to plug in for air.

The original design had the water heater closet in the garage, but we will be using a Rennai tankless water heater that fits inside a wall, so I will use the empty water heater closet for the compressor. I plan on adding a few vents to the door of the closet to allow air flow and also adding extra sound insulation inside the closet to cut the noise. For plumbing, Eastwood has a quick-connect garage airline kit that I'll be using. For about $200 you get everything you need to have 8 drops through out the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog19 View Post
      ...Also being in Texas how about a Mitsubishi Slim Jim A/C unit as well. Also do you have Neon signs and or clocks? Put receptacles high on the walls and have 1/2 operated by the switch so you can turn them on via a switch instead of having the strings hanging. Also a dedicated recpt for a fridge is nice too. Another thing i wish i had done is provision for washer and dryer for all the dirty car towels. Definitely a telephone jack, TV Jack and internet jack if you are not going to have a wireless router. Also stereo speakers in the ceiling and put the receiver in mechanical room or closet and pull the speaker wires back to there.

Great ideas. Definitely had A/C in mind but never heard of the Slim Jim unit - I’ll check into it. Currently don’t have any neon, but want to start collecting them, so the outlets up high make good sense. The garage will definitely be wired for tv and sound. Internet will be wireless.

Here is my list for my shop I am building. Concrete thickness varies for what area you live in by the way. I have seen some not even pour footings, which I think is nuts! 4" is just fine in most cases with good footings and ground. One good thing about a sloped floor is to insert a drain and you can do your wetsanding, wash the floors down ect. Cost of the pour would be more because it is a lot more handwork. www.garagejournal.com has some killer interior ideas.

Gravel for Driveway
      Dozer for clearingConcrete Safe RoomConcrete FootingsConcrete 39.91 yardsConcrete (Porch, Driveway, and sidewalk) 9 yardsConcrete For Safe RoomFormsrebarSafe Room DoorSafe Room Door Lock SetWell System & Drilling, pumpInterior Water Lines pipePVC pipeSeptic TankSeptic PipeSeptic BlanketSeptic GravelMetal Building 40x80x14(2) Garage Doors (1 w/ garage opener) 11Hx12W(1) Walk-in DoorWalk-in door lock set w/ deadboltMetal Screws(1) Outdoor French DoorOutdoor French Door Lock set(4) WindowsBuilding InsulationShop LightsConduitConduit Fittings and mouting tapsElectrical BoxesElectrical Box CoversPlug-InsExterior Shop Lights Utility Sink (Near Apartment/Kitchen Wall)Utility Sink Faucet & HandlesMetal Paneling for Shop Walls (8" high lining the interior)(3) 220V OutletsOutdoor wiringInterior Electrical Wiring (12-2 & 14-2)Breaker BoxSwitches (12)Switch CoversElectrical CoversElectrical Plug-Ins (15)Electrical BoxesGFCI Plug-Ins (4)Kitchen LightBathroom Light/ventBathroom Mirror LightMaster Bedroom fan/lightMaster Bedroom closet lightLiving Room Fan/lightOffice LightLaundry Room LightDining Room light220V hook-up for laundry room and in HVAC ClosetCable wiringcable boxes (4)Smoke Detectors (6)Telephone JacksTelephone Jack CoversTelephone wiringwire nutscopper ground rodInstant Hotwater Heater (Electric)Complete HVAC system 1.5 ton A/C systemElectronic ThermostatDuct WorkVents (7) & 1 return Laundry Dryer Vent & HoseAlarm SystemCeiling Joist (2x8 on 16" centers)Interior Framing (2x4x8)Interior Insulation R-13 w/ 1040 total ft. sq. @ $80 per 163 ft.Ceiling/Wall Insulation (Foam)Office French DoorsOffice Closet Accordian doorsAccordian Door HandlesBathroom DoorLaundry Room DoorMaster Bedroom Entry DoorMaster Bedroom Closet DoorInterior Door Knobs w/ lockInterior Door Knobs w/ out locksApartment Entry Door w/ windowEntry Door Lock set w/ deadboltDoor Stoppers (4)Closet Rod (4)Closet Wood ShelvingCloset Rod mounts (4)Window BlindsSheetrock (4x8) (130 sheets total @ $7) Sheetrock all purpose mud (13) 5 gallon containers)Sheetrock tapeSheetrock ScrewsSheetrock Metal Edge Trim Tape $12/100 ft.Primer-Sealer for interior walls KilzPaint for Interior WallsSemi-Gloss white for trim and cabinetsInterior Baseboard and door TrimWindow Sill boardsLaminate Wood Flooring Laminate Flooring BarrierStove/OvenMicrowaveRefrigeratorGarbage DisposalDishwasherKitchen Sink TrapKitchen SinkKitchen Sink FaucetCountertopsKitchen CabinetsKitchen Cabinet Handlesice maker water line valveBathtub/showerBathroom Sink/CountertopToiletBathroom Sink FaucetTrap for bath sinkBathtub Showerhead Bathtub Faucet SetBathroom MirrorBathtub Drain set

Here is the lift I have no post to worry about. Set you back about $4,000

http://www.bendpak.com/products/auto...ifts/sp-7x.php
      Last edited by GRNOVA; 06-06-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by GRNOVA View Post
      Here is the lift I have no post to worry about. Set you back about $4,000

Cool! Who makes that?
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

That's a cool lift.

I found this one, pretty cool. And you can break it down when not being used. Prices start at just under $2000.

http://www.garagejournal.com/?p=325#more-325
      Matt Briggs
      1971 Camaro RS - Race car in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Reihmann View Post
      Professional shops know what type of lift will work best for their business. Most professional shops have both two post and four post lifts https://www.elevatorauto.ro/
      https://reihmann.de/
      2 and 4 post lifts have different pluses/minuses. I put in a 2 post because I think it allows me to do more, ie, lift body off frame, change wheels/brakes/suspension. I don’t need to store a car above another which is something a 4 post seems better at.

Sink some radiant heat tubes in the floor... nice and warm!
      Kevin Oeste
      V8 Speed and Resto Shop
      V8TV
      Muscle Car Of The Week
      V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
      https://www.v8speedshop.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com