Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by oestek View Post
      Sink some radiant heat tubes in the floor... nice and warm!
      Radiant heat is nice, but only if you plan to keep it warm. I would rather not heat the area when I'm not using it. All that concrete takes a LOT of time to heat up if it's cold. The flip side of that is that the space heats back up very quickly if you do have to open the door.

maybe i missed something, but i didnt see anything for plumbing for air compressor lines.. and then have the retractable hoses mounted by them.
      Matt

never mind now i see it, i would hide the air lines from east woods behind the walls. just looks cleaner
      Matt

I completed the process you are going through 8 years ago.

Build your garage for the FUTURE!. You may not be able to afford a lift now but maybe you can in 3 years. Make sure your building is set up for a lift and the FUTURE. A few extra grand spent TODAY when building your garage is much cheaper than redoing the garage to meet your future needs and more importantly regretting the mistakes your made when building the garage in the first place.

Going overboard on electrical is expensive. You will use 3 or four outlets all the time and the rest will not be used much if at all. Ask me how I know!

Spend your money on the important "bones" of your building. Spend the extra money for the extra 2 ft tall walls and go from 10 ft ceilings to a 12 foot ceiling. Run the gas line, water line, telephone/cable/computer lines, floor drains and a 200 amp electrical service line to the building. Nobody says you have to hook all this stuff up but it is their when the budget is available. Put 6 inch concrete and a 12 foot ceiling where you "ultimately" plan to put your 2 post lift. I have a gas line to my shop that I have never hooked up since the building is so well insulated that I do not need heat or cooling for the building. Have not used it but it is still there if I need it! Consider the design of the building and location of the doors to help you accomplish this by making sure you have great ventilation and airflow. That's how I did it.

All the cabinets, airlines, shower, electrical outlets, A/C, heat, office walls etc can come with time and are NOT a big need in the beginning. It's a real bitch to stand back later and say I wish I did this to the building when I built it when you want something in the future.

Why anyone puts a shower in their shop I will never understand. EVERYONE I know who has a shower in their shop when it was built either uses the shower stall for storage or has removed the show all together because they never used it. Walk your ass in the house to wash off! The location of your compressor and the acceptable noise level you will tolerate is a hell of alot more important than a shower.

Nobody ever builds the perfect garage the first time. To determine the size of the perfect garage is to consider the total square footage for the biggest shop you think you will EVER need and then DOUBLE IT! You might be close at that point. A BIG shop does NOT mean a better shop. A well thought out shop building is the best shop building. Don't get carried away with size of the building but seriously consider the design AND provisions for future equipment that your may acquire.

As important as we think A/C, cabinets, air lines, shelves and all that crap is, consider the bones of the building and the building design first and foremost. Secondly it probably a good idea to talk with your city codes department so you will learn what codes you have to work around to build what you desire. This includes install drains or other items not allowed and then "hiding" them before inspection. Most guys know the drill!

Good luck with the "Dog House"!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Kingsport, TN. 30 min. from Bristol and 90 min. from Pigeon Forge, TN.
      I have a shower in my garage and it has been used, many times. I do not care to be covered in black grease and come in to shower only to have my wife get angry over the stains in the floor of the tub. It may not be for everyone but I like having mine. I do use it for storage occasionally as well.

My compressor sits outside on a concrete pad with a roof. Its alot easier to answer the phone or talk when you don't have to hear the noise.

make two footers in one bay about two foot wide by four inches deeper than the rest of your floor, and 9 feet wide. Separate them by 4/5 feet and you will have just added the needed concrete for your future lift for about $50, that is a no brainer. This way you have the proper footer for either a two post or four post lift.
      The Ceiling needs to be 11 foot though for the four post.
      I would also rough in plumbing for a toilet and even shower. So cheap to do that now and so costly later. Again, probably not $400 more to do it now.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

So how did the garage turn out?

Country Flag: Canada
      One thing I didnt see anyone mention is brick! I love Brick.

Name:  IMG_0993.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  220.7 KB

Radiant heat and my hoist. The three best things I did.

Name:  IMG-20120205-01369.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  665.9 KB
      Documented 302 Z-28 car updated restoration underway.

I think I just got sick....Nice place!
      1969 Chevy Camaro
      D&D T-56, 04 LQ4

Salinas, CA. 4.5 MI from the Corkscrew @ Laguna Seca
      Don't forget an oven for powder coating, wired for WIFI, cable TV etc. Maybe a fridge, sink, wet bar, stripper pole (no reason the wife or GF can't get involved in your project).

I noticed that you saw cut the floor.

At what floor size should you saw cut?
      Mine is 32'x46'

I think you should cut every 8 or 10 ft, I would probably do every 8 ft, It should be cut when it is still green, I am not a concrete guy. I had a pad poured 30x40 the contractor didn't cut it, It cracked, bad deal, court deal, If you look really close when the cut the floor there will be fine cracks down through the cut. Where is the garage with the stripper pole?

Quote Originally Posted by Coursey View Post
      I noticed that you saw cut the floor.

At what floor size should you saw cut?
      Mine is 32'x46'
      50 x 48

I was told anything bigger than 15' square.

Quote Originally Posted by Coursey View Post
      So how did the garage turn out?
      It turned out well.

Last edited by Boyd; 12-24-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added photos

Man that is sweet......

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      I personally would ad a drain in the floor of the garage for washing cars, wetsanding, rinsing out the garage. Also move the compressor outside and just run cheap pvc pipe into the garage with a few different places to plug in for air.
      Worst idea ever.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

The Garage Turned out Nice.

When I designed my One Car Garage, I made sure I had the Ceiling Height for the 4 Post Lift ( I bought a American-Made Rotary), I put the Compressor Outside to get rid of the Noise (But it has it's own enclosure to keep it out of the Elements), Room for the Snap-On 54" Wide Box and of course the Beer Fridge!

T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      Worst idea ever.
      Why is that the worst idea ever...not that kind agree or disagree but man if your going to insult someone you should maybe say why it's such a bad idea in your mind, while you're at it suggest why your idea would be so much better....this is how people learn.....!

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Why is that the worst idea ever...not that kind agree or disagree but man if your going to insult someone you should maybe say why it's such a bad idea in your mind, while you're at it suggest why your idea would be so much better....this is how people learn.....!
      A Google search on "compressed air PVC" returns 1,360,000 results. I didn't read all of them, but here's a very brief sample:

http://compressedair.squarespace.com...ir-system.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...not-do-230253/

When PVC goes, it creates shrapnel which, if not imbedded in skin, can do nasty things to paint.

I use copper pipe; others use iron pipe; still other use products expressly intended to last under the pressure of compressed air and the occasional impact that destroys PVC systems.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com