Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: Which 1st gen firebird hood to make in carbon fiber?

Voters
    213. You may not vote on this poll
    • Stock flat hood

8 3.76%
    • 400 type hood

70 32.86%
    • Trans Am hood

102 47.89%
    • Custom styled hood- Surprise me

33 15.49%
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I second 69TAPoser on the TA style wing, but you have to do 67-68 as well.

Ben Mowery

67 Firebird -Powered by Pontiac w/ RAM AIR V.

Back in the early 80s, I had a 68 Firebird with a teardrop scoop from a 78 z/28 molded into it. It might not sound like a great combo, but it actually looked great(like it even belonged on it). Some of the Local purists scoffed at it, buthey, it was cool in the day.
      Roger

A functional T/A hood gets my vote. The key being functional. However, any first gen Firebird parts will be awesome.

So it looks like the T/A hood wins the poll.

Now comes the million dollar question-

Who has one that fits great, is factory and would be willing to part with it for a free carbon version? We will entertain the idea of purchasing one if we have to as well.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by TitoJones View Post
      So it looks like the T/A hood wins the poll.

Now comes the million dollar question-

Who has one that fits great, is factory and would be willing to part with it for a free carbon version? We will entertain the idea of purchasing one if we have to as well.

Tyler
      Only 697 vehicles ever produced, your chances are much better trying to win that million dollars.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by TitoJones View Post
      Alright guys-

You asked, we listened. We are trying to figure out which hood is the most sought after hood for the 67-69 Firebirds. Please post up if you would like to see one of these made for your car and vote on which one to make. Options are:

Flat
      T/A
      Custom

Price point might be slightly higher than the Camaro hood only because of the larger size and the fact you don't have a header panel. We are looking into doing a cowl panel as well, and as you know, the rear deck lid will transfer over from the camaro.

2nd gen guys- We didn't forget you. thanks to Ty Ingle we have the lower front valance, nose, hood, and tail panel for the 70-73 getting ready to be tooled up.

Tyler
      Tyler -

I have a CF hood and cowl based on a Super 400 hood. It gives an additional 1 - 1/2 " of clearance which was required.

If you guys ever decide you would like to do a custom CF front end for a Firebird, I have one and had a full up mold already built if you are interested. The "bumper" and the lower valence are one integrated piece. Strong, light and functional.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Project "Freebird"

I have my original 69 Trans Am hood on a table and ready to pull a mold. I should have a mold within 1-2 weeks.

Here is a link to a thread where I posted some pics of a carbon fiber 69 Trans Am side air extractor, that we just made up as a quickie.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=591863

UGGHHhh

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      As for price point, Firebird guys are used to paying more for everything.
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

Quote Originally Posted by John Haley View Post
      I have my original 69 Trans Am hood on a table and ready to pull a mold. I should have a mold within 1-2 weeks.

Here is a link to a thread where I posted some pics of a carbon fiber 69 Trans Am side air extractor, that we just made up as a quickie.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=591863
      John-

Did you get a mold pulled from that hood? I know Matt doesn't want to have to be responsible for such a rare hood.
      1-888-723-8882

Tyler
      Last edited by TitoJones; 06-02-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Tito, you should work something out with John here in Mpls, I wonder if it'd be easier to just work with his mold, or fly in and take one yourself to your specs. As far as I'm aware, he's about the only guy with a real hood that has the guts to do this. The original hoods change hands for upwards of $15K and as some of us know, the Pontiac guys can get a little weird about modified parts.

Hell, hardly any of them will talk to me at the local shows...they sit there with their half-assed '67 GTO's and ignore me...but so it goes in this hobby.

1969 Firebird, Black, Parchment Arizen interior, Poncho 383 (4" crank), Kauffman heads, TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Wilwoods, DSE, Speed Tech, Koni, Hotchkis, GW, 18" TTI's, VA Gen IV, etc.

Will this be a bolt on hood, or pin on only?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I am going to make the frame too and make them a bolt on to the hinges deal. I can make one that is pin on if you like.

I just perfected the scoop inserts for the hood. I had to get these right before I pulled a mold from the hood.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...=591863&page=2

I am definitely interested in one of these hoods, but my issue is clearance... is this hood going to add any height in the center around the carb area?

how about adding functional heat extractors to the t/a hood?like the 99-02 firehawks have.

Quote Originally Posted by all wired View Post
      I am definitely interested in one of these hoods, but my issue is clearance... is this hood going to add any height in the center around the carb area?
      This hood will be the same as stock. I am thinking of making one that is raised 1" to 1 1/2" at the scoops and center and also do a raised cowl center to match for myself too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
      how about adding functional heat extractors to the t/a hood?like the 99-02 firehawks have.

These will be stock for now. I may do something custom for you in the future.

the 400 with 2 slightly larger mean scoops up front..would look nasty!

I vote for what others have mentioned, a TA hood with a raised center and cowl panel to match (1.5-2" rise). Really need this extra space over the carb to allow us to run a victor intake with 1-2" carb spacer. You would likely need a little bigger front scoop inlet and inserts to allow for more air flow but wouldn't want too much as the original dimensions work really well together. You build this in CF and people will buy it! Me included
      1969 Firebird 400, Pontiac Powered 585HP/565TQ, TKO 600, Bonspeed Big Blocks, Nitto 555's, Hydratech, Speedtech Control Arms, QA1 Coilover conversion kit, other stuff

Cliff S has it right. That hood that he's got on a 67-68 is the sexiest hood out. Makes me wanna start looking for a first gen.

Anything new on this???

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com