Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What is Manumatic Shifting Technology?

Broken down to its simplest elements, Manumatic technology can be described as follows:
      A computer program that allows an automatic transmission to emulate the shifting of a manual transmission.

In order for this manu-matic technology to exist and function, all of the following criteria must be met:
      1) A COMPUTER.
      2) Manumatic SOFTWARE loaded into the computer.
      3) An ELECTRONICALY controlled transmission.
      4) An ELECTRONICALLY controlled shifter.

So a TH350 (or TH400 or 700R4, or 2004R....) does not and cannot meet any of the above criteria. An LS1/4L60E with a factory computer comes close to meeting all of the criteria, but the computer does not contain manumatic software--nor is their any way to load the software into the factory computer, so an aftermarket transmission computer is still required. Bummer. Don't blame us--blame GM.

Now let's look at availability:
      1) COMPUTERS: TCI, Powertrain Control Solutions, BigStuff3, Compushift.
      2) MANUMATIC PROGRAMMING: Is loaded into all of the computers listed above.
      3) ELECTRONIC Transmission: Actually the PCS controller will run virtually any electronic transmission. The other brands run 4L60E, 4L80E, AOD-E and 4R70W. The key here is that shifting and line pressure are controlled electronically.
      4) ELECTRONIC Controlled Shifter: It bypasses the mechanical shifter and detent. Computers, programs and electronic transmission have been adapted to hot rods for years, the Shrifter is the first aftermarket electronic shifter that allows you to tap into the dormant shifting technology. All that we have built is a glorified switch. You could accomplish the the same function of our product with just a couple of momentary switches and coil cords. Likewise you can easily buy an electro-mechanical shifter from a junkyard. But neither alternative will install as cleanly or be as fun to drive as a paddle shifter.

The following link will take you to a detailed installation.
      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0507phr_twst/

I get it.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

OK!!

I want a "paddle-shifter" for my Muncie!!

pdq67

ok so if i were to find a 4l60e or 4l80e trans from a scrap yard and buy the twisted machine paddle shifters does it come with the computer and softwear i need? and do you have to change the floor shifter? or does it get removed? im really looking for the most affordable cause im doing the build while still in high school so any help would be great.

thanks
      Dylon

Country Flag: Netherlands
      www.twistmachine.com and proper use of the searchfunction will provide you with most of your answers.

Correct. You need: Transmission, computer, paddle shifter and a mechanical shifter for park, reverse, neutral, drive. We sell paddle shifters and computers.

This information is great for the paddle style/steering wheel shifters however, is the electronic packages offered by these companies compatible with a floor/consolor style steptronic shifter? Similar to a BMW X5 electronic floor shifter? Anybody tried to install an electronic BMW steptronic shifter with an Chevy LS engine/auto transmission package? Do any of these companies make the steptronic floor shifter package with electronic interface with the GM transmissions?

So I have a quick question for Steve, Steve I purcuased a paddle shifter from you and I am in the prossese of installing them now. It is going to work with a 4l80e transmission with compushift electronics. So when I am driving do I just put the shifter in drive and shift or overdrive and shift?

Just put 'er in drive. Your 4L80E will shift on its own until you tap a paddle, then it will enter manual mode. Your display will show 1, 2, 3, 4 in automatic mode and S1, S2, S3, S4 in paddle shift mode.
      Thanks!

Does this system rev match on downshift. The system in my wifes IS-F is stellar (frankly the whole car is awesome and I am jealous), if I could do something like that in my Falcon I would strongly consider goign auto instead of traditional manual.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Country Flag: Canada
      Cool product!
      Used to be known as 455regal

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com