Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      i do not belong to corsa. Perhaps when they get around to entering the information age, I'll think about it. That they charge for membership bothers me. They should have a messageboard and free membership.

For the price they charge the communique isn't enough for me.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
      lol!

The weirdness that is the corvair is thus: 4 intake ports, two per head. *six cylinders* per head. Weird compression waves sharing the plenum inside the manifold/head. would most likely be a problem. Now, there's a mod out there that mills off the head, and lets you bolt on *six* runners so I'd have one injector per runner. solving that problem. But it's exorbitantly expensive.

Hence me going for the simplest carb-like answer.
      That's called a Trioka manifold. They were around back in the day. You still see the heads that we're modified for it every so often.

On another not I ran a center Holley 390 cfm carb 4 barrel with the Edelbrock (if I remember right) 4 tube intake manifold and it was a huge improvement over the 4 one barrels.

I don't belong to Corsa but if you join your local corvair club they will let you use the corsa resources. Alot of the guys there have alot of wierd stuff for the corvair motor.

Mike

You could also try LS Corvair parts for some good deals.

If I came up with a low cost system that worked, how many buyers do you honestly think there would be? Also, what is the corvair world's price break point for "affordable"?

Us corvair guys are notoriously cheap. Is there a market? Bigger than you'd think. I'd say several hundred guys might be interested for sure. It's been a pipe dream for SO long. Clark's Corvair was working with someone a long time ago, and had several pre-orders. Corvairs are hugely raced, autocrossed and are gaining popularity every day. I get emails almost weekly from someone who found my car on the net, and ran out and bought one. I'm thinking a movement is starting. Cheap cars, easy to build, and surprisingly good handling.

The price break? 1000 bucks. much more than that, and you'll never sell them to "corvair guys". Do it for 800 bucks, and you'll sell hundreds of them right away. There's a blossoming market for "hard core" pro-touring corvair guys. Guys who couldnt care less about the classic image of a restored corvair, and just want the fun, cheap platform to build on.

Hence me starting my own website. www.hardcorevair.com.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

I love the play on words. Great URL choice!

There's a blossoming market for "hard core" pro-touring corvair guys. Guys who couldnt care less about the classic image of a restored corvair, and just want the fun, cheap platform to build on.

I've been thinking the same thing about '69 Camaros. Think it'll work?

j/k

I've seen several showing up and swapping hands @ Pomona and other places recently. I think a LOT of people are geetting into these little cars.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

The price break? 1000 bucks. much more than that, and you'll never sell them to "corvair guys". Do it for 800 bucks, and you'll sell hundreds of them right away. There's a blossoming market for "hard core" pro-touring corvair guys. Guys who couldnt care less about the classic image of a restored corvair, and just want the fun, cheap platform to build on.

Tony,
      That price point is not realistic. The supercharger will cost more than $800. Keep up the good work.

I think your paint job is sweeeet!

There are reverse rotation centrifugal blowers available, most of the stuff for the Ford mod 4.6 engines are set up that way.

The new FAST system is not designed for boosted applications, from the latest info I saw on teh intraweb.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson
      73 VW Super Beetle "Sports Bug"
      95 Taurus SHO 5-speed -- new open-track beater

I would be interested. I own a corvair van and I am in the process of actually trying to sup it up on the cheap.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      Tony,
      That price point is not realistic. The supercharger will cost more than $800. Keep up the good work.

I think your paint job is sweeeet!
      was talking only about the fuel injection idea. Not a supercharger also.
      Im not sure what'd it be. But yeah, well into the 2 grand area for a setup.

The stock carb/turbo setup usually costs about 1800 bucks complete if you want to convert a car. Sometimes less. Depends. But the output is only bumped from 140hp to 180 hp. Not a huge improvement. But with todays fuel systems, computer controls and stuff, one should be able to wring out lots more power.
      Last edited by TonyL; 04-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Many of the Vortech models are available in clockwise and CCW, so you have a lot of choices. For EFI, check out the Holley Commander Pro w/wideband sensor. It's available with a universal wiring harness and all sensors for around $1000. All you need is an EFI-ready fuel setup and a distributor that puts out a firing signal (any MSD inductive trigger works great) and a throttle body with TPS and an IAC. Not a tough project nowadays.

Jim
      Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Half-Assed = Half-Fast

$800...you guys are tough! Is that supposed to include injectors, sensors, throttle body(ies)?

I think GM TBI stuff and a Megasquirt set-up on a custom fab'd intake could be put together with a profit for $800-1000.

--JMarsa

I was going to recommend Megasquirt. They've got it working perfectly on far more esoteric platforms than Corvairs!
      Jeremy Wilson
      1969 Ford Torino GT Fastback

It's one thing to get it to work. It's another thing to allow enough "profit" to pay for all the product support that goes along with fuel injection systems. $800 is extremely tight. I don't think I'd mess with it, personally.

If you're a DIY kind of person, you can assemble a Megasquirt injection system for $500 or less out of a combination of OEM and aftermarket parts.

Jeremy Wilson
      1969 Ford Torino GT Fastback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com