Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Where’s TeeToe Jones when you need him? Oh that’s right – skiing. Plick!!!

I’ve been considering doing the swap for a while and I have to say that $10k in parts plus motor and trany is too high unless we are talking about something exotic. I’ll be the first to point out that I aint a motor-pulling-and-swapping-out-with-an-LS1 guy but I have seen plenty of them and Tyler of ATS swapped my tranny to a T56. This isn’t rocket science. Sure a little bit of fuel lines, pump, some oxygen sensors, update the exhaust, and a small amount of tinkering with the computer – bata-bing you have a running car. I think the swap should be able to be done for $8k including the motor and tranny on Ebay(no – not a new one).
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

It depends on how high of a performance job you want to do. Yes you can get the job done by purchasing a 97 vette pump and regulator or you could go high performance with an aeromotive pump and regulator. You could use the stock, and problie worn out clutch or get a new one. It all depends on how you want to use your car. Here is a list of what I used in my switch.

Stock 2000 ls1 w/ ls6 block + T-56 - $5000
      Spec stg 3 clutch w/ lighted opiton - 650
      Pacesetter long tube header for a 98-02 camaro - 300
      (If anyone wants to know they fit with a little modification to one pipe. I have pics if you want)
      Painless wiring harness - 620
      S+P motor mount adaptor plates - 65
      S+P modified oil pan - 200
      Aeromotive pump, filter, regulator, rails - 1000, or somewhere close
      A N fittings, hard lines, Steel braided tubes - 350
      Ron Davis Radiator w/ vapor fitting - 816 w/%5 pt discount
      ATS crossmeber and modified slave - 450
      Solid motor mounts - 35

Now this is just a rough estimate in prices I can't think of all of then exactly, but just to give you an idea.

Edit: After it's running I would still need to get it tuned and the injectors after sitting for over a year are problie bad so they may need to be cleaned or SLP has a set of stock ones for around 100 bucks.
      Stuart Seitz

Yuba City, CA (bout 1/2 hour north of Sacramento)
      Quote Originally Posted by harshman

I’ve been considering doing the swap for a while and I have to say that $10k in parts plus motor and trany is too high unless we are talking about something exotic. I think the swap should be able to be done for $8k including the motor and tranny on Ebay(no – not a new one).
      AMEN to that!
      When I spoke to S&P Mike I believe told me it is a pretty simple install with most of there stuff being bolt up he said he'll have it on dvd real soon and sent me out another install dvd and catalog in the meanwhile he said a shop shouldnt charge more than 40-50 hours($2250.00 50x$45.00 shop rate at S&P) to do it according to him but he also does these on a regular basis.... I have thought about it I want to get this done soon!! like yesterday even!!...I'm just wondering if I can get it all done for under 10k if so I'd be more than happy
      but somewhere close than that isnt too much of a problem either ...any bidders? Thanks for all the ideas and answers so far guys keep em coming and Charley I'll give Theo @ Wizard a buzz and see what he thinks...
      J.T.

ttt

ttt
      J.T.

well an ls1 swap there is nothing really to it hehe ...i did my own swap ...ls1s are almost ment to be in first gens hehe .. one of the small problems could be the shifter being kinda back there but wiring it is just like connecting a stereo ...and gauges you would need some aftermarket kind of setup ...gas tank either baffle your own or buy one headers is up to you if you on how much you want to spend ... but with all the parts an ls1 conversion should take no more than 30hrs of labor
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....
      1969 Camaro real RS SS DSE LS3 6M TWiiN TURBO in the make!(taking forever!!)..any donations apreciated hehe

Country Flag: United States
      Cruised through the GM yard in SJ last week, they had an LS1, w/o the trans for $3800. Seems kinda steep to me.

Stopped by today just for kicks, they have another with an auto trans (65k miles) for $3985. The guy said they usually sell them with the t-56 for about $4500.

Again, seems steep.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

if my garage was empty i would take the job. Too bad you can't do it yourself. Also GM sports is a complete rip of, you can find much better deals.

Inquiring minds want to know....where?
      True T.

My blog

just gotta do research, can't hold your hand

Oh, who's the elitist now?

LOL!

Just wanting to know where to start looking. Never tackled this kind of thing before.
      True T.

My blog

LOL! actually I don't know to be honest, however I have seen plenty of LSX oppurtunitys come up while surfin the net, so I know they are out there, but you will have to wait and search to find the right one. If you have to have now GMsports may be a good option, however they are such a ripoff! I hate giving them any money

gmsports would be the last place ever ....they are known to over charge ...and sometimes even try to sell you parts more expensive than at the dealer lol . .... i see a few on craigslist ...i dont like ebay because of all the scams hehe and also ls1tech ...so your best bet is to do a deal local
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....
      1969 Camaro real RS SS DSE LS3 6M TWiiN TURBO in the make!(taking forever!!)..any donations apreciated hehe

Quote Originally Posted by ViperBlue68
      Ok guys after much thought I've decided on a LS1 swap for my 68 Camaro does anyone know of a Knowledgable (about 1st gen swaps) shop in Northern California? Im right by Sacramento any advice will be Greatly appreciated!!
      Sorry, I do know of one down here in SoCal..
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Steve,
      The one that did your 69? Ive heard they do good work on another forum...I just would PREFER someone closer...but it looks like im gonna hafta bite the bullett and just ship it out.
      J.T.

Ok, how soon do you need it. Lets talk.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Vince its winter time man I got till its warm weather so I can drive it again...is that long enough? honestly just let me know what your schedule looks like for a swap and a minitub?? or is that pushing it? .... do you have a trailer?
      J.T.

yep

yeah we can do all...how about a Lateral Dynamics 3 link? MSP roll cage? Wayne Due or DSE front frame? have trailer will travel...I have to drop off a car over at Marquez Design so that might work out, he's in Galt. Road trip Allen?? shoot me an email...it looks like a long winter
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

jt ill do it ....f*** it lol ....bring it on haha .....I didnt know you was looking for an engine ....ummm do you want it stock or with some extras ...because if thats the case why dont you just buy a short block ls1 new and get your own heads intake and tb ...and at least you know everything is new ....thats how i did mine and it comes out to about the same price lol ....not everything was new though as in accessories and other minor stuff ...lots of people get rid of corvette engine harnesses for chip ...all you have to do is re-asign some pins and add the tps and idle control connectors and you have a stand alone harness too hehe ....
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....

yo rick... get off my cool aid!!!! lol
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

hehe so solly wont do it again.....lol
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com