Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

cold galvanizing compound

Hey guys anyone ever use cold galvanizing compound? i am looking to coat the inside of some new rocker panels before welding them on. I was originally going to use southern polyurethanes epoxy promer after sandblasting but I am now wondering if this stuff would be better. I saw it at eastwood by the way. I was going to go back over and touch up the areas that are affected by any welding heat. Any other reccomendations please speak up!!! Chris

Country Flag: United States
      I would not sandblast the ecoat off the rockers. I would lightly scuff them and then apply a couple coats of epoxy primer followed by some kind of rubberized undercoat or 3M body schutz (sp?). I would cover the welds with weldthru primer.

Just my opinion.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks for the reply- however these panels were the "american" made panels... There is no E- coat. They are bare steel covered in some type of protective oil. I need to protect the inside with something. With the epoxy from southern polyurethanes they reccomended a 80 grit finish before applying there product. Thanks again. Chris

I have used cold galvanizing compound on the inside of frame rails, and it seems to hold up pretty well. One thing I would definitely do is to use the 3M rust fighter (I can get the part number) on the inside of any area that will has a high chance of rust. You use the stuff after assembly, and it is applied with a shutz gun and long tubes to get into the rockers.

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

The coating that is on them is E Coat or not is probably just as good as you will get out of a spray can product anyway so leave as is. If it isn't coated you can coat the entire inner with weld through type primer if you wanted although costly.

Years ago there was test in one of the Body shop mags that actually showed 3m weldthrough primers as one of the best corrosion protection caotings out there. Problem is getting it out of the can. There are tons of weld through spray coating out there that work just as well.

As a note weld through primer is meant to be used between metal panels that are sandwiched together. It is designed to be used with a spot welder. If you are doing plug welds than you need to do the following; apply, line up panel, then wire brush out the coating in the holes you punched. If you try welding up the holes it is like welding in mud. Also any coating has to be removed in areas that are to be top coated. You do not spray on top of welds. Use a respirator if you are mig welding the holes as you will actually see the stuff floating in the air.

The most important thing to do is make sure the drain holes are there and opened. You can use a wand and spray a wax based coating in after it is all welded up.

Good luck!

Do not forget that there is a drying recommended drying time with weld through primer, and believe me, it works a lot better when you let it dry properly!

Oh, the part number for the 3M Rust Fighter Internal Panel Coating is 051135-08891

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com