Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register

    Results 1 to 5 of 5
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Cologne, Germany

      Bringing a Vehicle into Germany

      Looks like there are no new posts on here for a while so I'm assuming laws change and there may be new info.

      I moved to Germany a month ago for 3 years and would like to explore bring the 69 Camaro over. I've already been to the 'Ring twice and can't take it anymore with a slow car. It's fully PT'd with LS2, Viper T56, full suspension and brakes, in tank pump, seats, seatbelts, etc.

      I know all the requirements to get it here and taxes for import, but what are the requirements for the TÜV and registration tarrif I would have to pay. I need to go to an office and have a chat with them, but I'd like to know what to expect. It's extremely hard to find info on older vehicles here, especially with limited German abilities.

      Do I have to meet 1969 emissions or newer? The engine was a GM perf parts piece so it has no code that would ID to a specific vehicle or model year and I'm using a 2001 F body computer so if they pulled OBD it would come up as that.

      What about all the other stuff like suspension, brakes, etc.
      1969 Z/28 Dropped 2" GW uppers, lowers, leafs w/delrin, QA1 coilovers w/450 lb/in, Unisteer R&P, 1" solid anti-roll bar, subframe connectors, Billet specialties SLX-45 18X8 and 18X9 with Toyo RA-1 245/40/18 and F1-GS-D3 275/40/18. C5 Z06 brakes, 408 ci LS2, Viper T56 trans.

      2007 Wildkart shifter kart with Honda CR125 engine.
      2004 Dodge SRT4 daily driver and track day car, stage 2, rear ARB, dropped 2 inches
      1997 K1500 Z71 tow vehicle

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm on a english speaking german/european mustang forum with lot of stationed peoples over there. maybe they can help? check www.mightymustangs.net
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)

      1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 (Stage 1 Clone)

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      If its temporary you might want to check if its possible to keep your US plates and insurance.
      I'm not positive on how it works but I think its a major process to heve TUV on such a car, then youd have to pay tax.
      Have Fun!

      2009 Chrysler 300C Touring.
      3.0 liter V6 diesel, five speed auto, black with light grey leather.
      1968 Chevelle Coupe.
      355cid, Viper T56, Corvette C4 IRS (Dana 44) and Corvette C4 IFS with Porsche 6piston Brembo's.
      1980 Chevy Van (shortie G10).
      355cid, TH350, 8.5" 10bolt posi and Belltech spindles.
      2000 BMW 540i Wagon. (FOR SALE €7K)
      4.4 liter V8, six speed manual, lowered and with Bilstein B8's, silver with black leather.
      2001 Ford Focus Wagon.
      1.8 liter turbo diesel, and a whoppin 90HP.:bsjerk:
      1968 Benelli Motorella
      foldable 50c scooter to go in a car trunk.
      2x '90s Yamaha TZR 2stroke bikes.
      one 125cc one cylinder and one will be 350cc two cylinder.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2007

      You can contact Stefan, allias the findoctor in Hamburg, he knows how to do it.


      Regards, Jo
      Corvette 86 / Bel Air 57

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Frankfurt, Germany
      Hello, I just moved to Germany and shipped my 68 Camaro SS/RS over. The problem you will have is not in getting your car to pass a TUV as long as it is safe, the problem is if you want an "H" plate, H= Historic and not pay a lot in yearly tax's! The amount of HP= the price you pay in tax's, i.e. my car has 550HP my yearly tax's would be 3200.00 USD, YES that is the cost!!!, With the "H" plate I pay 230 EU!

      So here is the problem..... The is no standard for the TUV to use when determining which car get's an "H" plate. In the USA we just go by the age of the car. In Germany SOME TUV's want the car to be in original factory condition, so basically all the old ****ed up **** and no new SEMA type product's. So you will need to find a TUV inspector that looks past this and signs off on any changes you have do to the car for your "H" plate!!!

      It's not impossible, but it's not easy. I'm dealing with it now myself as I have a 68 Pro-touring set up.

      There is one way around all of this and that is to keep your car reg. in the USA. By German law if you have your car shipped over and your USA Reg. is still good you can drive your car until it runs out or for 6 months, and you will need Ins. for Germany as well.

      If your in the military then you can get around the TUV too, I am not so this option is not open to me.

      Hope this info helps.