Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

ram jet 350 upgrades

I just got a ram jet 350 installed in my camaro and was wondering what are upgrades you can do to the motor aside from supercharger or turbo? ANd with what upgrades will i have to get the computer re-programed?

P.S. I am a newbie so if this was already a subject dont flip.

lt4 hot cam, afr heads, stroker kit, ls1 nos plate kit. re-program the pcm anyway, you will see an improvement.

Country Flag: United States
      Is there software to reprogram these guys? I didn't think there was. Most of the posts I've seen have been recomending that you replace the whole pcm and harness. It would be cool if there was something out there. Mine is a MEFI3.
      '79 Z28,White w/camel tan interior,Cowl induction hood,TKO-500 5SPD,350 RamJet (polished),Jet-Hot coated Hooker Headers,Magnaflow dual exhaust,11" Ram clutch,10 bolt 370 Posi,Rock Valley fuel tank,Vette Brakes monoleaf suspension,AGR quick ratio steering,Baer 4 wheel brakes,17X7 Alloy Cragars w/245/45X17 AVS Sports in Front & 17X8 Alloys w/255/40X17's Rear.

Chris

Is your controler the Mericruiser one or the next gen (what's being supplied now with the ramjet)?

--JMarsa

ramjet

I was told you need the newest 4th gen computer to make modifications. The 3rd gen doesn't have a means to be modified I was told. You may have to change over to the newest generation computer to have any luck if yours is an older( I believe 1 year or older) ramjet.

Quote Originally Posted by 67rsconvert
      I was told you need the newest 4th gen computer to make modifications. The 3rd gen doesn't have a means to be modified I was told. You may have to change over to the newest generation computer to have any luck if yours is an older( I believe 1 year or older) ramjet.

I have software to re program the MEFI3s I used one to run my 468 until I got a Accel gen 7. The MEFI4 is similar to a 3, but adds coil on plug output, ls1 sensor input, and I think fan and charcoal cannister controls.

I will be using my MEFI3 to run a TPI 350 in my K5, its a decent ECM, for factory combos, but sucks for large cams.
      If you want an EFI engine that you are going to leave alone, the Ram Jets are a good buy, but if you want to modify the engine the aftermarket tune on the fly ECMs are the way to go. Accel, Speed Pro and Big Stuff are all good choices.
      Scoggin Dickey has some really good prices on EFI crate motors that use aftermarket ECMs.

Ram-Jet Power

Well, one thing that I can say about the ram jet is that if you are going to be using a decent cam and a head that flows at all, you need to have the ram-jet manifold sent out and get it extrude honed. I sent mine out and went from flowing 215 at the runners to flowing 270 at the runners. I will try and get the dyno sheet posted tomorrow but the numbers on my 383 Ram-Jet with a GM hot cam, ported fastburn heads, and extrude honed intake, are 434rwhp and 503rwt. The car was dyno tuned at Arizona Speed and Marine.

EFI69Cam, where did you get your software and what is it? Can you do any real time recording with it? Does anyone have a program that will? Mine is the MEFI3 but I would like to add closed loop.

Hey you say you have the software, is it available? and if so how much and what hardware is required, thanks a lot.

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam
      I have software to re program the MEFI3s I used one to run my 468 until I got a Accel gen 7. The MEFI4 is similar to a 3, but adds coil on plug output, ls1 sensor input, and I think fan and charcoal cannister controls.

I will be using my MEFI3 to run a TPI 350 in my K5, its a decent ECM, for factory combos, but sucks for large cams.
      If you want an EFI engine that you are going to leave alone, the Ram Jets are a good buy, but if you want to modify the engine the aftermarket tune on the fly ECMs are the way to go. Accel, Speed Pro and Big Stuff are all good choices.
      Scoggin Dickey has some really good prices on EFI crate motors that use aftermarket ECMs.

Mefi Software

I have a copy of the software available for $2500. Mefi 1-4 It works very well even with large cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckn8
      Well, one thing that I can say about the ram jet is that if you are going to be using a decent cam and a head that flows at all, you need to have the ram-jet manifold sent out and get it extrude honed. I sent mine out and went from flowing 215 at the runners to flowing 270 at the runners. I will try and get the dyno sheet posted tomorrow but the numbers on my 383 Ram-Jet with a GM hot cam, ported fastburn heads, and extrude honed intake, are 434rwhp and 503rwt. The car was dyno tuned at Arizona Speed and Marine.
      Ah,you must be the one sitting next to me at the dinner? Now i recognize your user name

SEMA Dinner

Yeah that was us sitting at your table. The reckn8 is now my dads login because it got to confusing with both of us using the same login. -Phillip

Tuning a MEFI 4

Anybody looking for a tuner of MEFI 4 should also look at UMI ( I think that was their name) in Scottsdale AZ. Scott Urschel and Todd Peterson over there are extremly fluent in tuning these computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckn8
      Were the flowbench numbers with the throttle body in place? Does the factory supplied TB become restrictive with the new enhanced flowrates?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Intake

To answer you question, no, the throttle body was not in place during the flow numbers. However, originally the throttle body was bigger than the intake so we marked exactly where the intake was smaller because it was really only on the top and bottom. The other areas were all flush. We then just port matched the TB to the intake.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com