Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Converting Speedometer to electric

Has anyone had there speedometer converted from cable drive to electric? This is for a Camaro speedometer...

James J.

Country Flag: United States
      Not sure if this is what you are asking but I used a Cable-X converter to drive my mechanical speedo with the electronic signal from my ECM.

http://www.atrol.com/cablex.htm
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have looked at that how is it working out for you is it worth the money?
      Can you tell us what you paid and do you like it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedodgeboys View Post
      I have looked at that how is it working out for you is it worth the money?
      Can you tell us what you paid and do you like it?
      Thanks
      It works OK. My car is not on the road yet so it is hard to say for sure. Sometimes the response seems to lag a little when slowing down.

The cost was around $300. Aftermarket dashes are not available for Firebirds so it was an easy option to keep the stock gauges.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

There's always the mechanical alternative if that's an option for you, it's $495 from Shiftworks. This tail housing for the 4L60E/4L65E/4L70E allows you to use a cable-driven speedo and keep the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), available for other transmissions too:

Bart F.

'64 Tempest - LS3/4L70E - Grandma's Poor-Touring car
      '64 GTO - 455 HO/TH400 - Ex-bracket racer, street bruiser
      '02 WS6 convert - LS1/4L60E - Pure stock, pure pleasure

I have used the box in other cars it works fine, there are some switches that allow you to get the speedometer real close.
      James J.

I would try and find an alternative to the Cable-X. I don't like the way it works in my car. It's jumpy at speed and sometimes it just doesn't seem to initiate when you start the car. You end up rolling down the street with no speedo. I then have to push the clutch in turn the car off and restart it to get the thing to work.
      CarlC here had his converted the an electric speedo by an outfit in the Santa Clarita valley of CA if I remember right. He's very happy with that solution. I'm sure if you search his user name and speedometer you'll find it.

Just for curiosity sake I looked at the Shiftworks website to see about the mechanical conversion tail housing for a T-56. HOLLY COW! $800!
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I'm looking to do the same thing, and have heard nothing but bad news about Cable-X.

I already have aftermarket gauges (Equus) so I've been waiting for them to manufacture an electric speedo for two years, but it is time to find another alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance-W View Post
      I would try and find an alternative to the Cable-X. I don't like the way it works in my car. It's jumpy at speed and sometimes it just doesn't seem to initiate when you start the car. You end up rolling down the street with no speedo. I then have to push the clutch in turn the car off and restart it to get the thing to work.
      CarlC here had his converted the an electric speedo by an outfit in the Santa Clarita valley of CA if I remember right. He's very happy with that solution. I'm sure if you search his user name and speedometer you'll find it.
      I searched:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      The speedo is currently out being modified by Redline Gaugeworks for an electronic speedometer upgrade. It will use the ECM output and will incorporate an engine malfunction light as well.
      http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

If you want to have an electric speedometer you do need to have a way to excite it. Whether it be a sensor in the transmission, ECM output, or some kind of driveshaft attachment, there has to be something.

I did not like the CableX option. To me, it's adding a big mechanical component that adds additional mechanical drawbacks. The electric conversion by Redline is, IMO, the best option. Prices start at around $350 and go up from there depending on what you want done. I bought a new VDO speedometer on Ebay with a similar sweep angle as the stock gauge. Redline mounted this into the stock speedo backing plate, re-numbered it, and made a new center section to show the digital odometer. Shannon also added a MIL, located at the very bottom below the turn signal indicator. If I were to do it again, I'd pony-up for a 160mph speedo movement, and have the stock backing plate re-numbered and re-tick marked accordingly.

No bouncy needle, trip functions, programmable, etc.

Last edited by CarlC; 03-27-2009 at 11:47 AM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Perhaps I am over simplifying this but IF (big if) you were to pull the guts from a junkyard electronic speedometer and stuff it in your factory gauge housing should you not be able to calibrate it using the TCU?

So I went and did some reading. I guess the sweep of the dial would factor in, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
      Perhaps I am over simplifying this but IF (big if) you were to pull the guts from a junkyard electronic speedometer and stuff it in your factory gauge housing should you not be able to calibrate it using the TCU?
      If I can find someplace to make a face decal, water or regular then I am basically doing this. I took the electronic head from a late 80's / early 90s Firebird & will put it on my factory Monte SS faceplate. I designed the graphics to look like the Monte, but at the angles of the Firebird. No idea how to calibrate it. Hopefully it will be close.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Let me know how it goes. I just can't imagine that this couldn't be done. If you can adjust the pulse rate and the sweep is the same it should be doable. Of course I have no experience at all so there you go.

These guys look just old school enough to know what they're doing. Maybe it will help:

http://www.williamsons.com/

What I don't like about what I am doing is the circuit board is a separate piece, not in an enclosed unit like ones made by Autometer & such. If I can just find what to do for the face. Any leads on someplace that makes them. I thought about printing it on a picture & glueing on. Not sure that is the route I want to go.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Be sure to check if the speedo uses a direct feed from the transmission or if the signal is conditioned in the ECU before going to the speedo. The ECU in later cars (LS1) use a 4000 pulse per mile signal. It can be fiddled with in the ECM, but the speedo must have the capability of reading 4000ppm. Your boneyard speedo may physically fit, but before going to far you may want to determine what input signal it needs and if you can supply it.

Shannon had to tune mine, even though it was new, to get it to sweep properly.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Looks like I will be calling them Monday, Thanks...
      James J.

Got my gauge back from Redline ! looks good, they made it a 160MPH Cost was about 300 so for the same price of the black box you can just keep it simple and do this instead.
      James J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com