Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Emissions complete!

The emission testing is done, she's got a clean bill of health. Next up is braving the Nevada DMV... :bsjerk:

1969 Chevelle SS396
      Currently figuring out more ways to make simple tasks difficult.
      Build thread...
      --Dan

Country Flag: United States
      The K&N look much better then the death by foam filter you had... I'm glad the guys at Silver State could help you out... The DMV up on NORTH Decatur is new, clean and usually not too busy...

Russ was working on mine last weekend and I'm going down again on Sunday... if you want to stretch the Chevelle's legs and take a trip down let me know... bring Nate along for the ride...
      Rich
      1969 Camaro (in hibernation)
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
      Russ was working on mine last weekend and I'm going down again on Sunday... if you want to stretch the Chevelle's legs and take a trip down let me know... bring Nate along for the ride...
      Oh, this was a while ago...

Got the Hellwig 1-1/4" hollow front sway bar on today and did a small low-speed drive around Aliante to check for squeaks and beeps. Apparently there's a car show over at Aliante Station... /shrug

Didn't have much time or I would have liked to go.

So far I am having just a little interference on the OE style tirerod sleeves. As I mentioned before at the last meet, I was having issues with it already from scraping the frame on low digs while turning. I need to scare up some low-profile hex style adjusters and see how that does me. Again, this is not the Swaybar's fault, it's the long ass adjuster sleeve bolts that are at 11o'clock on the passenger side. The driver's one was clocked inboard and it took out the SPC progressive jounce bumper on a quick turn, lol. I looked under the car after the noise and saw one of the white bumpers had jumped out of it's perch and is now lost on 215 between decatur and aliante pkwy.
      I put back in the OE wedge style bumpers on both lower arms. Definitely need to get rid of the OE style tire rod adjusters.

Also, I've got plates on the car~ I am still considering a personalized plate but the current one is growing on me...
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

Steering linkage getting replaced this weekend. I decided to spring for all new US made steering linkage. 2 outer and 2 inner tie rods, idler arm and center link.

After removing the steering linkage from the car, I noticed a slight problem...

Passenger side...

Driver's side...

Yes, they are most definitely bent.

Fast forward about 2 hours and a coke later, replacements installed.

Unfortunately, the Hex style adjusting sleeves won't arrive until Tuesday, so here she'll sit. I figure I'll just match the inner to outer rod lengths on the old linkage and match it to the new one then eyeball it good enough to get it rolling to the alignment shop.
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
      Unfortunately, the Hex style adjusting sleeves won't arrive until Tuesday, so here she'll sit. I figure I'll just match the inner to outer rod lengths on the old linkage and match it to the new one then eyeball it good enough to get it rolling to the alignment shop.

I would count on a whole bunch of eyeballing. I tried doing the length thing when I put the hex style adjusters on my Monte Carlo and it didn't work very well at all lol. Maybe I just didn't do it right?

This is one of my favorite project threads on PT BTW. Keep up the good work man.
      Andy McCatherine

1982 Monte Carlo SS (clone)

Quote Originally Posted by montessaj View Post
      I would count on a whole bunch of eyeballing. I tried doing the length thing when I put the hex style adjusters on my Monte Carlo and it didn't work very well at all lol. Maybe I just didn't do it right?
      I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure there's a few other methods I can use, assuming my frame is straight.

Quote Originally Posted by montessaj View Post
      This is one of my favorite project threads on PT BTW. Keep up the good work man.

Thanks! I'm trying to keep things realistic for just about anyone to do. I lack fab skills.
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

I also lack fab skills, but I dig this type of build, and the street-lites look KILLER on this car.
      Andy McCatherine

1982 Monte Carlo SS (clone)

Been a while since the last update. My better half is back from 'over there' and I haven't been motivated to get back to solving a few outstanding issues with the drivability.
      I've got a significant lean to the driver's side front, about 1/2" difference from pass. I'm not convinced it's a spring or suspension issue. I need to call around and see if there's a reputable colision center with a frame shop to have them check it out. I don't want to bandaid it and just shim using the SPC LCA, mainly because I don't want to cause any other problems and I don't know what possible issues could arise from compensating for a lean in this manner.

I've backed down the caster to a more manageable 5.5° and upped the neg camber a touch to -.75°. Toe set at 1/8".
      It feels solid but at low speed manuvers, I feel some binding/intereference. Probably some tierod/swaybar/adjuster/frame/bumper combination that is making some noise. Pretty much everything but the frame itself has been replaced on the suspension so it's relatively disappointing at the moment.
      I also need to get the rear abutment brackets milled down about 1/8" or so because the rear pads/rotors aren't centered to the abutment. The rotor is just kissing the anti-rattle tension shims for the pads.

Then ofcourse there's the pedal return spring for the manual brakes. I have a good idea on how to affix the spring end to the pedal clevis rod but I need to fab it up and test fit it.

Then at some point this summer I will try to placate the slight oil burn I am experiencing with some new valve stem seals and hope for the best.
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

looks grate ......

awesome Dude

So, I went all Rip Van Winkle apparently and lost track of my goal for the Chevelle. it's been 3 and 1/2 years since my last update and I haven't done a thing to it for the duration. I hope to regain my motivation for the new year and get back to modernizing my beloved Grizelda...
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

How about a current pic or two. Love the name 'Grizelda'.
      Rich

'Wicked Witch'...1969 Camaro, Mast Motorsports LS-3, Magnum T-56, DSE suspension & BFG Rival-S on Forgeline wheels.
      A herd of stock #'s-matching '69 Camaros.

So, nearly a year later...

I've moved again.

Also, a Gentleman in Florida has found my numbers matching 396 in a 72 Suburban restoration project. Thanks to the folks over at Team Chevelle, I reached out to him. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705986

Unfortunately, he did not accept my offer. Hopefully he will reconsider in the future.

But at the very least, I now know for sure it is a genuine SS.
      1969 Chevelle SS396
      Build thread...
      --Dan

I was wondering what caster setting you run on the Chevelle? Thanks.

Wow! I read that thread on the engine. Like the song, I tend to believe most people are good. Reading that just makes me shake my head and worry a bit for the human race. Hope you move on and enjoy your car.

***Edit**** just realized this is a 5 year old thread....
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

That was a sad outcome for that thread. But from the beginning (after seeing this thread and knowing the car wasn't original) it seemed like he was asking an awful lot. If the OP here was restoring it, it might have been worth something like that to him, I guess. The line about the Chevelle community making him uneasy was odd, since it sure seemed like he was the scam artist. smh.

Jay

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com