Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Just started talking racing photos:

These are from the Trans-Am race at Brainerd over labor day weekend.

Looks like you had a great location, And a good lens.
      Scott Shanks
      70 Challenger 6.1 Hemi 6-Speed

Country Flag: United States
      Didn't see this one yet, guess what I do for a living?

HDR (done correctly I may add...)

Some Racing...

Love shooting at night...

And of course a pretty girl helps...

I prefer long lenses even when shooting static subjects, you get less perspective distortion and better subject isolation.

I have a Canon 5D and love shooting at the track. Last year I started playing around with TV mode on the camera with some cool results. The GTO was going about 10 mph. The Camaro was launching pretty hard, so I had to turn up the shutter speed a little from the previous shot. The most important part about capturing images like this is getting really good and steady while panning (moving the camera at similar speed with the subject).

Name:  gto.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  124.1 KB
      Name:  Finch11.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  235.3 KB

If you don't have a long lens, borrow or rent one. They get you in on the action while staying out of harms way.

As others have pointed out, if you're shooting with a DSLR...shoot a lot of photos and play around with settings to help teach yourself what works and what doesn't. Here's a couple of shots of a few cones getting murdered that I just happened to catch.
      Name:  bmr.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  170.9 KB
      Name:  cone.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  170.0 KB

It won't help you take better photos, but don't forget to clean your sensor. You can see the dirt in the first 2 images on the left hand side. I forgot to edit the dirt out before posting them...

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      Last edited by TonyHuntimer; 12-01-2012 at 08:35 AM.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGenZq8 View Post
      how in the heck was that top shot taken? in the second shot, does the photographer have the camera hard mounted or is it possible to take a picture like that w/o a stand?
      Name:  4420929189_804ef0a4dc_o.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  4420926537_08e075fe00_o.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  28.1 KB

Car was being pushed about 2 MPH, he got out of the way, then 30 second exposure.

Camera mounted on beam, then photoshop to remove beam.

Name:  4587940824_e2db5d1912_b.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  121.6 KB

Interesting that the pics were taken just before total darkness.

(Done by a pro, not me)
      Don 67 Camaro RS/SS Texas

Country Flag: Denmark
      Here is one my buddy took of my GT at night in a parking garage - he used a tripod and long exposure time (how long I don't know)

Name:  _BP02600.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  645.6 KB

And doing this one he was hanging from a car at 40 mph

Name:  3m-4.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  643.9 KB

What site do you guys recommend for posting a lot of pics on websites like this? I need to use one but not sure who to go with Dropbox, Smugmug, photobucket or any of the others that are out there? Any suggestions?

DSLR isn't required for taking nice photos like someone here already mentioned.
      Problem with taking photos with a point and shoot camera is it doesn't allow you to control many of the settings to get an effect you want. The camera will determine the best settings on what it thinks you want.

A DSLR is the only way to have full control and slow down the shutter for techniques like "Panning".

Panning is when you follow an object as it passes like a race car etc.
      A slow shutter speed blurs the background but the technique of following the object as it passes keeps the object in focus and sharp but blurs the moving parts like wheels and the pavement/background.

Like this.
      E92 M3 Road Racing by -mik3ymomo-

The same effect also shown above can be accomplished with the "Rig". Basically the "Rig" is a pole with a camera on the end. You slow the shutter down in the camera and use ND filters on the wide angle lens.
      The car is not running and you push the car a few feet with the shutter open.

Later you edit out the pole in Photoshop like this.
      E92 M3 Rig shot by -mik3ymomo-

I actually pushed the car backwards a few feet for this one. The movement is what you are after. Your brain says its going forward.

Lastly the same effect can be had by shooting from another moving vehicle. It's known as the "Rolling shot"
      Does not require the rod but you are pacing the car you are shooting so the car is sharp but the background is blurred.
      Again. All these effects require that you can control the cameras settings.
      If you shoot these with a point and shoot they will take a sharp photo but freeze everything making the cars looked parked on the track or road instead of the blur seen here that gives a feeling of speed.
      This rolling shot is also a composite.
      I can explain those another day.
      1966 Corvette (Explored) by -mik3ymomo-

Hope that helps out my fellow car guys.

Lets talk a little bit about "Perspective".

The best way to make a car photo interesting is to take it from a different then eye level perspective.
      Also don't put it in the center of the frame.
      There is a compositional rule in Art and Photography. It is called "the rule of thirds"
      It means to put things at intersecting quadrants like on a Tic Tac Toe board.
      Here is an example of me shooting from a very low perspective and NOT centering the car in the frame.

This keep the viewers nterest. There is more going on here having to do with rules of landscape photography. The lightning adds a layer of depth.
      I believe a Venue you shoot a car is as important as how you shoot it.
      Here are 4 examples of cars I've shot.

Steves67 by -mik3ymomo-
      1967 Corvette Ben Franklin Bridge by -mik3ymomo-
      Mikeslightning by -mik3ymomo-
      RX-7 at Autumn by -mik3ymomo-

There are more technical aspects to the night shots but for now we are talking about Perspective and choosing a nice venue.
      As you can see they only add to the beauty of the photos.
      I am not a pro photographer but I would consider myself an advanced Ameteur and can probably help you guys step up your game behind a camera.

Great write up so! wanted to share a couple photos of mine that came out good. Im no pro and I havent even photoshopped anything. But I will say dusk or overcast days are the best for shooting! Perspective I have found to play a big part. Its funny how you look at something with your eyes and might not quite capture that with a photo. I have learned too take more pictures than you think are enough. My photos are brought to you by my Sony-Nex 6n, its compact and lightweight and you can get all kinds of lenses for it.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Some great photos you guys have!

This is a simple shot I took with a historic building in the background. Nowhere to the level of those in this thread. ...
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/AndrewnTX
      1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L Vortech
      1956 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L
      1961 Ford Econoline Pick Up 250CI "Stovebolt" 6
      1963 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop - sold Jan 2010

Name:  Nova at Dusk.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  49.5 KB

My good friend Jeff took this shot at Sears Point last year. Jeff takes pictures every week there of Wednesday night drags and drifting.
      Paul

Country Flag: South Korea

There's a lot of good information and excellent shots in this thread. I've been involved with photography and design all my life in one way or another... mandatory photography and darkroom courses while studying industrial design. I worked in the toy industry R&D/Market Research areas most of my life and also worked with professional photographers doing studio photography. A lot of what I learned in the old skool is transferred to newer digital photography. And although I'm retired for some time I still mess around with my cameras and Photoshop. I used to have three Nikon 35mm SLRs with a huge variety of lenses, flash systems, and whatever. Most all gone now, my DSLR is a Nikon D300 which is a good, solid workhorse. FWIW, I'll add some suggestions and thoughts. One piece of equipment I can't live without is a monopod. Sure, I have a couple of tripods, heavy duty and lighter duty... still clumsy to carry around. The monopod can't stand on its own, so what it offers is a rock-solid stand for the camera and takes most movement out of the picture. And if you're shooting long... its a godsend.

In today's digital world, many of us are walking around with a decent camera embedded in our phones. Sure, I can't tell you how many times I wish I had the Nikon with me, but I improvise. I'm using an iphone6 and its pretty amazing if you pay attention to detail and are careful with your shots. Camera lenses are quirky and even the iPhone sense system has its pros and cons. The shot below of my baby isn't perfect, but its a nice shot coming from an iPhone.

The trick that made this shot work was to shoot it long and be very steady, then crop the picture. If I had shot the picture up close,the car would've been much more distorted. I also try to be careful using the sun. My personal preference is to shoot with the sun somewhere's behind me and try to shoot on days where its very bright but not brutally strong. There are plenty of advantages to shooting on an overcast day as well. The shot below worked pretty good, just moved the car a little and walking around until I got an angle I liked.

The advantage that a real mild telephoto on a DSLR has over the iPhone is that you can mess with both focus and F-Stops. Camera basics are that a small F-Stop will give you incredible detail throughout the picture. Opening up the F-Stop will narrow the focus range which is nice to "loose" backgrounds that are distracting. If you mess with photoshop long enough you can learn to selectively blur out the background by masking the vehicle and working outside the mask with various filters and blur tools.

The above shot was made with my Nikon, shot a bit long, cropped and I threw in some extra blur around the truck. I was getting ready to sell the Lightning and wanted some shots that would showcase its stance (lowered 3" and 4") and custom paint work in my eBay ad. I didn't go hog wild with the blur... I could've been more anal, but overall it worked.

I didn't intend to d a ghost engine shot, but this is roughly what you need to do... take two identical shots, mask, copy, and paste the closed hood as a layer, then mask the engine, copy it and paste it as a layer over the closed hood shot. And then make sure the hood mask shot is _above_ the engine shot, and use the transparency tool to create the see-thru effect.

To do the ghost shots right, use a stepladder, and mount your camera to the stepladder, and have someone open and close the hood. Makes for better shot consistency. I had to fool a bit with photoshop to get the masks close, but the effect is there. If I wanted to get cute, I'd just mask out the Harwood cowl inside the lightning-bolt pinstripe border.

The Lightning was a turn-key show winner, and had numerous trophies for best engine, best paint, top truck... and these shots helped sell it. The fellow who bought it lived in Washington state, and bought it sight unseen based on my photographs. Had it shipped in an enclosed trailer cross country. Still miss that beast, its hard to explain what a great handling truck it was. I'd love to get my camaro to handle like that truck did LOL. I'm working on it. But I hope these comments and pix help somebody to take some great shots of their rides. You _don't_ need the $1500 camera, its amazing what a 7 megapixel point and shoot can do... and like I said... your iPhone is always in your pocket so take advantage of the moment, the lighting, the event, or whatever!
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com