Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      hehe, after 4.5 years of 3.1 megapixel service, I took my camera with me to Vikingsholm in Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay. While hiking around the rocks by Eagle falls, I took my camera case off my shoulder, set it down beside me, bumped it into the rushing falls (as per murphy's law) and watched it get sucked under on its way to Lake Tahoe. I looked for it for 2 hours with no luck.

Yea, that's the great thing about digital cameras, so much room for experimentation. When in a hurry at autoshows, I often take each pic once with flash and once without in auto mode and then figure out what looks better later.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Wow some great motion shots and stills you guys have taken.

I have found that if you consistently take bad shots using your only camera even while trying to learn what works and what doesn't, switching up to another's camera can have a drastic effect on your learning curve (up). Seems like an incidental bump or drop can really put a good camera off.
      http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/AndrewnTX
      1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L Vortech
      1956 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L
      1961 Ford Econoline Pick Up 250CI "Stovebolt" 6
      1963 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop - sold Jan 2010

My fave shot.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Learning to pan with your subject correctly can give you great results at slow shutter speeds

1 taken at 1/20th

And someone mentioned tail light streams..Here is a pic with the exif data for reference so you can try it too

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
      Date/Time: 2009:04:12 22:36:02
      Resolution: 800 x 533
      Flash Used: No
      Focal Length: 17.0mm (35mm equivalent: 134m...
      CCD Width: 4.58mm
      Exposure Time: 30.000 s
      Aperture: f/14.0
      ISO Equiv.: 100
      Whitebalance: Auto
      Exposure: Manual
      Exposure Mode: Manual
      Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

These are from the Lone Star Round Up this past weekend.
      I saw the guy setting up one of the shots.

I thought this was very cool.
      I know it's multiple exposures on a tripod but I would think after a few exposures the picture would wash out.

Frank
      Truck guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewNTX View Post
      I have found that if you consistently take bad shots using your only camera even while trying to learn what works and what doesn't, switching up to another's camera can have a drastic effect on your learning curve (up). Seems like an incidental bump or drop can really put a good camera off.

Maybe we can make another thread on camera selection some day.

If someone is consistently taking bad shots, it's probably not the camera's fault, especially with the average capability of any given 2005 and newer camera. Anyway, make sure you're not just treating the symptoms by letting a better camera make up for bad habits.

I'm split on the learning curve idea. My old camera forced me to do so much more right. On the other hand, my new camera let me learn to take advantage of more settings. IE my old camera would never have let me directly change the f-stop or ISO.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

I just ran a search and you can get a Canon Digital Rebel XT (what I use) 8 megapixel for about $300 now. that's way more camera than non-pros need.

also, it looks like some of the pics Frank posted are HDR (high dynamic range - run a google search, it's pretty sweet)
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

I'm going to read through these tips....

http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips...-condensed.pdf
      http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/AndrewnTX
      1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L Vortech
      1956 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L
      1961 Ford Econoline Pick Up 250CI "Stovebolt" 6
      1963 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop - sold Jan 2010

i have a hard time getting photos to look decent in the day time, but others have success. how was this photo taken?

Every once and a while you see something and say WOW.
      WOW
      Tony L

Back to the original subject. For those of us that are photographically challenged what is a good "idiot proof " camera?
      Photos in the shop always come out like crap for me. I've tried making adjustments but nothing seems to help.
      Tony L

These pics were all before I started correcting color/curves/contrast in photoshop. Taken with cheapy $100-$130 point and shoots in the 3-5megapixel range. I am FAR from a pro... but here is my input.

Horrible background... but it's my favorite pic of my truck. Early evening (facing west). Sun was behind clouds, but not setting... still all "white" light.
      The light is "soft".... no glare or harsh reflections... even the tree reflection looks softer. If only I had moved the wheelborrow and closed the garage door :(

This one was taken mid-day, high noon, no clouds... with CAR IN THE SHADE. Plain background, but the reflections in the car aren't as clean as I'd liked. I used the side of a grocery store as a backdrop. The van in the reflection pulled up and parked after we got there :( .

This shows the actual light once I backed up out of the shade. You can see just how bright it was out, and how dark in the shade. I should try fixing this one in photoshop to see how it comes out.

10am, not a cloud in the sky. Normal shutter speed, 80mph, no flash, shady side of truck
      1994 S-10 LT1/700r4

can anyone shed some light on how the below two pics were done? programs used?

Camera on tripod. Take two pics, one with hood one one with it off then use something like Photoshop to merge the photos into one image. Each photo on a different layer. Make one of the layers (hood on image) transprent and the engine shows through.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGenZq8 View Post

just like "samckitt" said

used photoshop elements 7

take two of the exact same picture, ut one with the hood up, copy one and paste it on top of the other, adjust the "opacity" or "transparency" and erase the leftovers. its actually simple to do!

The reason that most people are told that dusk or dawn are the best times to take pics is that it is much easier to control the exposure. With a DLSR in manual mode, exposure and white balance can kill a shot. There is a book named Understanding Exposure that really simplifies shooting digital. Most mistakes in digital can be fixed in Photoshop. That program is as important as any photo tip you will ever get.

nhisimagephoto.com
      RacerX

Aha! My area of expertise. Ask me any question and I'll have an answer for you.

Depending on the application or the look you want, you can take a picture at any time of day. The best way obviously is to have a decent Digital SLR that supports a good ISO range.

If you are limited by your camera you can still take great photos where you have ample light. Anything after sunset and unless you have a good Digital SLR, you will not get the best lighting possible.

Composition is #1 key. The angle in which the photo is taken + the balance of objects in the screen that make up the entire photo will give you the best composition.

One of the biggest misconceptions of taking a good photo is you don't need to take a 30-50 mile drive up to that cool mountain pass to get a great shot....

Take this photo for example....
      Name:  IMG_8480.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  236.1 KB

Most people would have never guessed that I took this in front of my own driveway on a busy street.

If anyone has any specific questions about how to get a particular shot, feel free to ask and I will post a response.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGenZq8 View Post

There are several ways this photos could have been done. The simplest way would have been to place the camera on a tripod, take a photo of the car with the hood open and the hood closed. You would then crop the engine photo of the car with the hood open then place it over the photo with the hood of the car down with a transparent opacity. You can soften the edges of the open engine photo and viola!
      Egine Xray photo.

The reason why you would want to shoot dusk or dawn is the ambient lighting. This application works very well when it comes to autos with very shiny paint. The reflection on the car defines the lines on it giving the car a very shiny look to it. If the reflection on the car is dark in contrast with strong lighting it will give the car's edges a highlight. Not to mention, the warm tones give the photo a very good edge to it.

Grey skies aren't necessarily bad, in fact they can make for some great photos if you are going for a different look.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com