Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

2004R or TH350 with Gearvendor

Hi guys,
      I am thinking about running the 2004R or a Th350 with a gear vendor overdrive unit. The trans is for my 1970 c-10. I plan on towing my car a couple of times a year. Which would you guys go with?

David

Country Flag: United States
      A decent 2004r will cost less than the GV and is essentially a bolt in replacement for the TH-350. Sounds like a good application for a 2004r trans with some mild upgrades.
      All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

I love my 200-4R in stock form and will be building it up. The question is how much. Right now I have a shift kit from transgo and a shifter. But there was a great article in the march CarCraft about the 200-4R and how to build it for power.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

You can have a built 200-4r for less than the price of a 350 with GV. Alot of guys are running a built 200-4r with great success behind high hp cars.
      98 Corvette-Z51, 6 speed, 346ci, shaved heads, z06 cam, straightpiped
      67 Camaro- soon to be completely overhauled!

I just just put a gv on my th-350. I went this route because I already had a custom converter and built tranny. Also the th350 with gv is way stronger. I was going to go with a 200r4 but I beat on my car and race it so I didn't feel like haveing my tranny rebuilt every year. The only thing is, is that you don't have a lock-up with the gv. The price of a well built 200r4 is around 2100-2400 and a good converter is about 600. I would think a 200r4 conversion is around $3000 and a gv with th350 is $3500. JUst remember a th-350 is easier and cheaper to rebuild than a 200r4. Either way you can't go wrong.
      Frank M
      1970 lemans sport
      2004 silverado 4x4 lowered
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SER1gBLn2N0

If I drive on the highway with the th350/gv, how fast will I burn up the tranny fluid? Should burning up the tranny fluid be a concern?

Like Poncho said, either way you can't go wrong.

You won't burn up tranny fluid unless your slipping the converter hard going down the highway. The gear vendor bolts to the back of the TH350 and uses it's own separate oil supply.

I don't know why some people knock the OD's as much, if you spend the money to build them properly they will survive behind a high hp engine. A friend of mine, as well as myself, run 700R's. Both of us street drive the cars alot, drive both to the strip. He's been running mid-high 11's on his for 4yrs, pulling a very thick stack of timeslips out of the glovebox every fall. I just put my first year of 12.80's on mine with no problems.

I think they get a bad rap from the guy who bolts a stock one in behind a big engine, or they don't adjust the kickdown properly. I do agree from the factory some of them were just plain junk, but the aftermarket has answered with enough parts to make them hang.

Either way you go, 700, 200, TH350/GV you're getting an OD, which will translate to better driveability and hopefully some fuel milage to boot. Good luck!
      Colin
      1950 Pontiac 12.82@105
      1999 GTP

I know of a few 200-4r's holding up to insane horsepower. 2 grand nationals making in excess of 400 hp. I know of one supercharged monte with a kurtz? (i think that's what he said) 200-4r that has made tons of passes and gets driven almost every nice day with around 550 hp. So I know they can hold up when built
      98 Corvette-Z51, 6 speed, 346ci, shaved heads, z06 cam, straightpiped
      67 Camaro- soon to be completely overhauled!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail8 View Post
      Like Poncho said, either way you can't go wrong.

You won't burn up tranny fluid unless your slipping the converter hard going down the highway. The gear vendor bolts to the back of the TH350 and uses it's own separate oil supply.

Either way you go, 700, 200, TH350/GV you're getting an OD, which will translate to better driveability and hopefully some fuel milage to boot. Good luck!
      I plan on running a stock-ish converter.

Thanks guys. I still have not made up my mind. I will let everyone know what decision I make.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      Thanks guys. I still have not made up my mind. I will let everyone know what decision I make.

David
      Well it's been 6 years now. When are you going to make up your mind and tell us?

HAAA Good one Allend43, he has probably changed a couple of times since!!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com