Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Repair substandard floor / trunk patches or replace panels?

OK everyone looking for some insight on some repairs that need to be made on my project car. If you have time take a look at the video at this link about the floors / trunk of my car and let me know what you think. Would it be better from a cost benefit aspect to repair the not so great patches and fix the holes that were missed or just replace the panels? I can add to the info that they do seem to have a lot of experience rebuilding these first gen F bodies and they have some kick butt tools to make the panel removal and install go pretty quick. I am leaning toward replacing the pans / panels but am interested in what you think. Thanks Steve
      The vid is on page 11 called "Body media blasted"

http://www.v8tvshow.com/forum/index....83.msg7740#new

1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

If you choose to try and save what you have then it might be worth your time to google Rustbusters. They are located in several states/and or their reps, and have a process known as spray welding. It is an excellent alternative to small patches for pin holes when you can reach both sides of the panel. With some grinder work and this process you can salvage what you have and make it pretty. The cost and whether or not there is a rep close enough to you would be the decideing factor.

The process uses zinc which is melted as it leaves the tip of the gun and sprays onto the metal like paint yet it is pure zinc. It can be worked and shaped just as lead with grinding and sanding tools and will not rust. I've used it to save floor pans which were pitted but not pin holed yet. It can be sprayed from a few mills to an inch thick. The only caviat to the process is just like lead you cannot weld to it and if you get the steel within an inch of it "cherry" red with heat it will disbond. For this type thing it is an excellent alternative and a good product. Also it might make a good tech piece for Kevin and Kelle, they might be able to work out a deal on the process in exchange for the publicity.
      Tommy Parker

1973 Camaro- fast burn 385, FAST EFI, Bowler 700R4, Hotchkis,Baer, Forgeline SP3P's, completed 2007, updated 2010
      1972 Camaro-Project Fool's Gold- LD 3-link,DSE sub-frame,C6 Z06 brakes,TKO 600, LS2 stroked to 402, Forgeline, in progress

Thanks for the info I will pass ot along to K & K.

1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com