Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

quarter patch and mini tub question

Whats the best tools to use for cutting the metal. I was looking at an air nibbler but already have a cut off tool and a sawz all. Just curious as to what other people are using and if theres a better tool for cleaner cuts. thanks

looks like you get the basics for sure, but if you have the coin you can't beat a plasma cutter...Miller has a new one that'll cut 1/8 inch for $1100.
      Joe A

72 El Camino 350, TH350, 3.08 open diff!!!
      65 GTO no motor, M20, 3.23 Safe-T-Trac
      04 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 6" lift,35" M/T BajaClaws
      06 Subaru WRX Turbocharged, Intercooled, AWD

Country Flag: United States
      You really can't get cleaner than a die grinder with cut off wheel. Roto zips work nice too.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

i think if you had to have one tool it would be cut off wheel. I have nibbler also dont use it much. I know a sheet metal guy and all he uses is a nibbler. So now that i didnt help you one bit good luck lol

i wish i could afford one of those but not right now. Looks like I'll go with the cut off wheel. I gotta say that the people on this site are some of the most helpful out there, i always get good quick answers.

thanks

hell for 20 bucks buy it and try it its only 20 dollars. I dont think a cheap one for 20 dollars will work all that great but it would give you an idea if you like it or not

I have a plasma cutter, recip saw, nibber, and a dozen different types of shears.

The best by far is a cut off wheel. 3M sells a thin cut off disk that comes in a multi pack (available at your local body shop supplier).

It is very precise, leaves a nice clean edge, and creates no unnecessary heat (very bad for sheet metal).

the only draw backs are that it is noisy and demands quite a bit of air

The fastest for me is the 4" electric grinder(Bosch/Makita/DeWalt) with the metal cut off wheel. Fast, no huge amount of air required and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 41565 chevelle View Post
      The fastest for me is the 4" electric grinder(Bosch/Makita/DeWalt) with the metal cut off wheel. Fast, no huge amount of air required and very accurate.
      i'm going to second this one. i have a 4.5" DeWalt angle grinder with metal cutting discs from Harbor Freight, and it sliced through my frame (1/8" thick) like butter.

just wear earplugs.
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

Country Flag: United States
      I just finished mini-tubs on my 69 Camaro....I used a few differnt tools that made it easy but I agree the 4.5 grinder with thin cut off wheels works great...i have also used a good jig saw with metal blades... You can cut nice corners and it leaves a nice edge..

I have a 4" grinder and it sounds like thats the best way to go, although I did just find a good deal on a plasma cutter. Thanks all

Everyone has their favorite, but I prefer a plasma cutter for most jobs ... nothing is faster, they produce a very low heat affected zone, the surrounding metal stays relatively cool, and it yields extremely high quality cuts - if I set up a fence or straight edge to run the torch against, the cuts are so clean and sharp it would be hard beat with any other cutting method.

Edward

My choices:

#1 Plasma cutter
      #2 Nibbler
      #3 Sawzall
      #4 Cut-off wheel (what I used)

If you use a Cut-off wheel plan on going through like 10-20 of them.

If you haven't seen it already check out this thread on mini-tubbing:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46900

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com