Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: United States
      Hi David,

Thanks for posting up all the info. Here is a post with pictures on our new Bumpsteer Corrected Tall Outer Tie Rod Ends for the 1st Gen:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...o-and-Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Latest news.
      Power Performance has changed it's name to Proforged L.L.C http://www.proforged.com/
      They are coming out with .5" taller outer tie rod ends. I have tested them and incorporated the results into my spreadsheet below.
      The optimum combo is .5" tall upper ball joints, with .5" taller outer tie rod ends.
      To put a little pressure on the boot, you can cut a 1/2" slice of neoprene hose and slip it over the ball joint stud. There have been some issues with the bolt pattern, especially with aftermarket A arms, usually two holes need some filing to fit. I had similar issues with the Howe uppers. If your ball joint won't fit through the hole in the A arm, bolt it in from below.
      David
      Doesn't mounting the BJ on the underside of the CA make the BJ longer by about 1/2"? It would seem to be moving the CA up in relation to the spindle? I'm just trying to wrap my ignorant head around this concept.
      This is getting very expensive?

NO it does not make the ball joint longer it simply moves the arm up. the pivot point of the upper ball joint does not change.

I know it can be confusing but the ball joint is located by the spindle not the control arm.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      NO it does not make the ball joint longer it simply moves the arm up. the pivot point of the upper ball joint does not change.

I know it can be confusing but the ball joint is located by the spindle not the control arm.
      Thank you for the reply.
      So I would be correct in thinking that moving the BJ like we are discussing raises the CA into a higher position, further into it's arc and that's a positive. Do I have that right?

A tall ball joint raises the pivot point, it's not about the control arm it's about the relationship between the pivot points
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

409, I see what you are getting at. Pretend the control arm is invisible for a second.

The only way to change the curve is to move the actual pivot points. Where the control arm attaches to the frame and pivot in the ball joint are fixed. That relationship between those two points can not change, regardless of how or where the control arm attaches to those pivot points.

It is true that a tall ball joint raises the control arm further up in it's curve but the actual geometric gain is from raising the pivot point of the ball joint, not from the control arm.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      409, I see what you are getting at. Pretend the control arm is invisible for a second.

The only way to change the curve is to move the actual pivot points. Where the control arm attaches to the frame and pivot in the ball joint are fixed. That relationship between those two points can not change, regardless of how or where the control arm attaches to those pivot points.

It is true that a tall ball joint raises the control arm further up in it's curve but the actual geometric gain is from raising the pivot point of the ball joint, not from the control arm.
      I see, said the blind man and thanks!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com