Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I thought I'd update this thread by posting new data on 2nd gen Camaro tall ball joints: http://www.pozziracing.com/second_ge...o_tall_bal.htm
      I'll post a new thread on it but wanted to stick this link in here too.
      David

67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

dave, have you tried the gmod and a taller b-joint together? just curious

Quote Originally Posted by LV42DAY View Post
      dave, have you tried the gmod and a taller b-joint together? just curious
      me too

Country Flag: Netherlands

Wondering if there's any kind of discount code for us PTers?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by neki67 View Post
      G-mod and 2nd gen F-body????????
      the thread started out talking about 1st gen and tall ball joints, some how we got a lot of info on 2nd gens also which is awesome since I have one of those now also!

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Hey Rod, when are you going to start stocking these at Got's?

Vince @ Dreamspeed
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      Hey Rod, when are you going to start stocking these at Got's?

Vince @ Dreamspeed
      we wont stock any protour stuff till maybe summer, Ted and Joe really want to Get a Dragster back on the track! I also need more of your cards so I can send more cars your way!

Quick question: Since tall lower ball joints would lower the car by raising the lower "A" arm by 0.5", should not all measurements for the tall lower ball joint tests be re-adjusted upward from "0" ride height since zero actually equalls a -0.5 drop? In other words; 0" = -0.5", -0.5" = 1.0", -1.0" = -1.5"etc.

The measurement graphs of tall lowers makes me wonder why theres is no additional gain with more "A" are separation?

If the above is true, i would think the tall lower is actually superior since it provides the same negative camber in bump AND less positive camber in droop. thus manitaining a higher tire contact patch in both extremes.

am i wrong? am i missing something?

joe c

All measurements were taken relative to the same ride height, not LBJ position. I started each test with the spindle the same height from the floor. Taller lowers helped a small amount but made bumpsteer worse.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I started each test with the spindle the same height from the floor.
      Does that not represent the suspension in droop sinced the tall lowers would lower the car by 0.5" (or raise the spindle 0.5")?

im in no-way a suspension expert, just trying to convert your test results to my limited knowledege of where the curve would start wth the lower ride height tall ball joints create.
      Last edited by clancj; 02-13-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: further claity

. Taller lowers helped a small amount but made bumpsteer worse.
      I dont have bump steer now w/tall PPM uppers. Could bump steer be compensated for by returning the ride height after installing tall lowers (if it appears), by taller springs or spring pocket spacers?

i'm starting to lean toward not installing the talls on the lower. With hotchkiss front springs, i dont think there's much bump going on in flat autocross courses, i just couldnt get enough negative camber last year. This year i went to a 265 18 35 on a 9" rim (from a 245 40 17 on an 8" rim) up front and dont want to eat the outers with insufficient neg camber. im hoping the 245's were rolling over and the 265 18 35 plants better (car is autocrossed 99%) rarely street driven.
      Last edited by clancj; 02-13-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: further clarity

All measurements were taken relative to the same ride height, not LBJ position. I started each test with the spindle the same height from the floor.
      Nevermind, i'm an idiot: spindle height is set by the wheel. i just hit me.

I don't know if I posted a pic, but the way I did the tests was on a 69 Camaro with no front sheet metal, I raised it up on jackstands and set the spindle height relative to the lower control arm on the subframe. I wanted to keep the ride height starting point for "0" the same for each test.

Adding .5" taller lower ball joints spaces the lower ball joint down .5" raising the instant center height, (the intersect of lines drawn through the upper and lower A arm pivot points. A higher IC is going to reduce neg camber gain curve a little so there is less gain than you would expect from adding the tall lower ball joint. I haven't modeled this, so I'm just speculating what the reasons are here. On a Camaro that is lowered a LOT, the .5" taller lower ball joint will increase bump travel by .5" and that may help prevent bottoming out, but not to say the headers or something else won't bottom out before that is an issue.
      David
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 02-14-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Latest news.
      Power Performance has changed it's name to Proforged L.L.C http://www.proforged.com/
      They are coming out with .5" taller outer tie rod ends. I have tested them and incorporated the results into my spreadsheet below.
      The optimum combo is .5" tall upper ball joints, with .5" taller outer tie rod ends.
      To put a little pressure on the boot, you can cut a 1/2" slice of neoprene hose and slip it over the ball joint stud. There have been some issues with the bolt pattern, especially with aftermarket A arms, usually two holes need some filing to fit. I had similar issues with the Howe uppers. If your ball joint won't fit through the hole in the A arm, bolt it in from below.
      David
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 07-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks for the update David. I thought the bolt pattern issue was with both factory and aftermarket A-arms.
      - David
      1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott

Well, I posted a reply, but its gone now... Weird

Anyways. David, did you happen to notice how much of the steering arm contacted the steering stop on the LCA with the tall LBJ installed? I have tall LBJ on my Nova and the arm only contacts the uper 1/4 of the steering stop hump; and that is after my LCA relocation, which should make this issue better. I would imagine on a stock subframe the arm may not contact the stop at all?
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendScott View Post
      Thanks for the update David. I thought the bolt pattern issue was with both factory and aftermarket A-arms.
      It's a little worse on the GW uppers I tried them on. The factory upper I used for the test needed filing on two holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      Well, I posted a reply, but its gone now... Weird

Anyways. David, did you happen to notice how much of the steering arm contacted the steering stop on the LCA with the tall LBJ installed? I have tall LBJ on my Nova and the arm only contacts the uper 1/4 of the steering stop hump; and that is after my LCA relocation, which should make this issue better. I would imagine on a stock subframe the arm may not contact the stop at all?
      Jon, I didn't look at that issue when testing. I'll check it out.
      David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com