Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Question for Painters

The guy doing the body work on my car is done with the car, However he is not painting it another friend of mine is. Question is that I cant get into the booth for a month and wondered if cold weather will affect the primer ie: cause any rust or moisture. The car also has a guide coat over it for the blocking it out the last time. The car will not be outside however my garage has no heat.

Corey

Corey

Country Flag: United States
      I imagine it is epoxy primer. If it is you won't have a problem. The older laquer primers had a bad habit of absorbing moisture out of the air and, because they were so porous, rusting the parent metal underneath. The 2 part primers don't do that. Just verify that is what you have.
      Sitting for a month is a good thing anyway as it lets the primer gas out entirely and any shrinkage should be over with. Block the car right before topcoat to level everything out.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I am 99% positive he used epoxy. He works up at one of the local dealerships as a body man so he likes using the new stuff.
      Corey

Primer

I would not take a chance --- ask him what kind of primer he put on the car. A lot of body shops use the cheapest stuff they can find.

I will ask him just to be positive but this is a buddy of mine and I have been paying for all the materials and I can tell you he is not using the cheap stuff
      Corey

primer

if there is guide4 coat on it, it is not epoxy primer, it is urethane primer, and or polyester primer, more than likely urethane primer, which will be fine in the weather.
      if it is polyester i would have it blocked then urethane primed as urethane is a high build and it seals everything
      jake

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com