• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Sounds just like open headers.

Bart F.

'64 Tempest - LS3/4L70E - Grandma's Poor-Touring car
      '64 GTO - 455 HO/TH400 - Ex-bracket racer, street bruiser
      '02 WS6 convert - LS1/4L60E - Pure stock, pure pleasure

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're not out there between 10pm and 6am reving the motor.

I guess I'm lucky, 4 neighbors have Harley's and the one is a city cop.... said he thinks it sounds good :D
      Doug G.-406ci ~68 Camaro Coupe
      Camaro Pics AKA: RedЯum
      1.643 - 60'
      7.511 @ 91.33 -660'
      11.823 @ 113.52 -1320'

18 inch Magnaflows quieted mine down.

Dynomax turbos are very quiet and have great flow characteristics. I ran them while running true duals on my TA. Very quiet at cruise but they still had some growl at the track and when at WOT.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rsk68 View Post
      Tom

Have you heard the Edelbrocks? how would you rate the magnaflows in comparison to the Edelbrock?
      Sorry for the delay in reply...

Yes... I have heard the Edelebrock's... and they remind me somewhat of the ole' Hooker Super Comp's (now know as their 'Aerochamber'). They are a little too loud and tinny for my liking...

I am however, a fan of the Borla XR, the XR Sportsman and ProXS series and of the Magnaflow's. The only other muffler's that I have used to quiet down an exhaust system... is the Dynomax 'Race Mangnum' (aka 'Ultraflo' welded)... which is virtually the same as their 'Ultraflo SS' internally, it just in a heavier, non-stainless case... and the Cadillac muffler.

Now... as for design influence... the straight thru mufflers will never be as quiet as the directed, aka Turbo, muffler. But there is a cost involved with that as well... flow and performance. The straight thru design on the other hand... is quiet on idle and low speed... and it does/can get a little loud at WOT. Which is... fine, for the most. The Turbo muffler is/can be quiet throughout the entire RPM bandwidth.

So the question was asked... 'Can a straight thru design be quieter than a chambered muffler'... Yes, it most certainly can be... at idle and low speed operation.

A lot of this also has to do with the rest of the exhaust system design. I have heard chambered mufflers systems that are unbelievably quiet... and they were actually on the local 'Sportsman's' series left hander cars. I mean real 550+ HP cars that were insanely quiet considering...

In the end... the system has to go up and over the rear axle and exit the rear... to the side or to the rear directly.

Rick,

If you're still undecided, I have some vids on my youtube page where you can hear my 505hp BBC El Camino on the autocross course (inside and outside the car). It has a complete 3" Pypes SS system w/ X pipe and Race Pro mufflers (18" case). I live in a typical neighborhood and my neighbors have never complained about my cars. There are also two vids of my Chevelle, which has a 3.5" system w/ X pipe and Spin Tech mufflers. At idle and low speeds I think it's actually quieter than the Elky; it could be due to the different tones though.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
      Dynomax turbos are very quiet and have great flow characteristics. I ran them while running true duals on my TA. Very quiet at cruise but they still had some growl at the track and when at WOT.
      Agreed. I have those mufflers on my car and it's the quietest muscle car I know.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I'm a MagnaFlow guy myself, and I wouldn't call my car quiet.

Does MagnaFlow sell a chambered muffler that is quieter?

jp
      x2 ... It thought the hooker supercomp turbo type mufflers I use to run were a bit tamer. I'm thinking the dynomax would be a quieter fit than the magnaflow.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

I put Hushpower race mufflers on my ZO6 they sound good about as loud as a 40 series
      Thall shall fear no amount of boost, For thy bottle is with me.......

Magnaflows and 12" resonators. NOT glasspacks. Resonators will help. Did you say you already have an x pipe? Oh and to mongoose, X2 on the cooker, show em what loud is. Of course your wife may have you doing their laundry for a week due to the poo they left in their shorts and drywall because they jumped high out of bed they went through the ceiling!

Simple solution get the quietest most restrictive 3" mufflers you can. Then install electric cutouts.
      I've recently installed QTP cutouts. When I come home, visit someone/s house I respect or see police I have them closed. Open headers when I fancy. Its the best solution for the teenager in us and enables you to be stealthier (grown up) when you want.
      (In terms of fun one of the best mods yet. Especially if you have 1 7/8" headers and an F1C Procharger turning up the volume!!!)

Hey guys i want to thank you for all the input, i think I'm going to change over to the Magnaflow's as soon as i find a local TIG guy, i need to pick up some more v clamps also.
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

Second the race pros, they were quiet at idle on my motor on the engine stand, but once you got on it, it wasn't mild mannered anymore!

I had great luck with this place for v-band clamps. They're very nicely machined.

http://www.quicktimemotorsports.net/products.asp?cat=31

Not the greatest video... this gives you an idea of how tame the magnaflows can be. I am running a 2 1/2" exhaust with a pypes x-pipe so it will be inherently quieter then your 3".

My dad is running exactly the same system except he is using flowmasters and his car probably has almost twice the volume.

I think I can post a video of his versus mine in the same video... i'll look for it and try posting later

Summit sells v-bands as well. Clampco brand so it's the good stuff.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Hey carl

Summit only has the Dynatech V clamps, are these made by Clampco?
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

The best v-band clamps I've seen came from SPD. They have a nice quick release mechanism.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

How about a set of catalytic convertors, like the Carsound ones made by Magnaflow, to help "muffle" the sound, and not to mention clean the exhaust on its way out..??
      95 SVT Cobra. 306 HCI, IRS and much more!

I was wondering if you guys think using chambered muflers as pipes ( where you have the room ) would quiet the exhaush without too much restriction? I'm using a 3" magnaflow X pipe system going to behind the tire. My motor is a true 600 hp.
      Wayne
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com