Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hinges w/ Fiberglass hood?

I have a '70 camaro and have just put a fiberglass hood on and the problem I am having is that it seems that the back of the hood isn't heavy enough to set the back of the hood all the way down. I have the light weight springs on but for some reason the back of the hinge wont go all the way down unless I push down on the backside of the hood.

Will it go down without the low tension springs on it??????????????????

I asked the guy doing the body work and he says it does it with or without the low tension springs

I'd put some nice "made in Taiwan" hood pins on it for the ricer look. Heh-what's up, Corey?
      Gmachinz Sales and Performance
      "updating the level of performance..."

[email protected]
      *never argue with an idiot-they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!*

Quote Originally Posted by gmachinz
      I'd put some nice "made in Taiwan" hood pins on it for the ricer look. Heh-what's up, Corey?

That may work for Monte Carlo Owners

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Did it go down with the factory Hood! Did you try some lubrication??
      KENNY DAVIS HOTRODS

I thought about some wd but it is going for paint here in a couple weeks and dont want any petrolium out and about. Withe the factory hood it did go down all the way but I did have the hinges powder coated and it may be just enough to hang up the hood. I just figured I would post this to see if it was a common problem or something withe the hinges.

Corey

YEs it is especialy after powder coat! Get all the paint work done then try the wd or maybe a strategically placed shim or 2! Good luck!
      KENNY DAVIS HOTRODS

Ahhhh, SNAP! That hurt...... I can't wait to see it painted! Did you ever find out anything about the door reveal rivets? -Jabin
      Gmachinz Sales and Performance
      "updating the level of performance..."

[email protected]
      *never argue with an idiot-they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!*

Quote Originally Posted by gmachinz
      Ahhhh, SNAP! That hurt...... I can't wait to see it painted! Did you ever find out anything about the door reveal rivets? -Jabin
      Yes and no, The company I was going to buy them from D&R classics has a $20 min order. I only need 10 screw so that is like $4.00. So I have another post on nastyz28.com to see if anyone live in Warrenville, Illinois where D&R is located to pick them up and send them to me.

Corey

Country Flag: United States
      sounds like your hinges are out of adjustment, or your hnges are binding.. Try to lower the rear slot and raise the front a hair. Is your motor in? I like to fit the hood by loosening the hinge bolts ,shutting the hood and get it square, then slowly tighten all bolts.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

is that minimum there so they will pay the shipping. offer to pay the shipping and see if they will sell it to you.

MRQUICK I will give that a shot as soon as I get some paint on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scogin918
      is that minimum there so they will pay the shipping. offer to pay the shipping and see if they will sell it to you.
      I tried and they just said with all ORDERS the is a $20 min but if I wanted to come up to their store I could by however many I needed.

I had that same problem on my '68 Camaro after installing a fiberglass hood with low tension hinge springs. All I had to do was loosen the three hood hinge to fender bolts and close the hood. Then have a helper lift the hood very carefully just far enough to tighten the bolt just enough to prevent movement. It took three tries to get it just right. Then I tightened the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by camrat68
      I had that same problem on my '68 Camaro after installing a fiberglass hood with low tension hinge springs. All I had to do was loosen the three hood hinge to fender bolts and close the hood. Then have a helper lift the hood very carefully just far enough to tighten the bolt just enough to prevent movement. It took three tries to get it just right. Then I tightened the bolts.

Cool...... Thanks for the info that is what I was wondering.

My 73 had the same problem, the fresh paint on the hinges was binding up.
      Todd
      67 RS/SS Camaro (FOR SALE), 73 Camaro, 15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
      http://www.fquick.com/qwik1320

Quote Originally Posted by qwik1320
      My 73 had the same problem, the fresh paint on the hinges was binding up.
      What did you do to correct the problem?

I worked the hinges about a hundred times and sprayed with some silicone. Every once in a while the one side still sticks up about 1/8" and I have to push it down...we had a hell of a time getting the hood to fit well in the first place though, the thing was bowed in the center, especially on that side. Don't buy from Unlimited Products.
      Todd
      67 RS/SS Camaro (FOR SALE), 73 Camaro, 15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
      http://www.fquick.com/qwik1320

Yeah after I thought about it for a while that is what I was kinda thinking I was going to do but I want to wait until after its painted to start spraying them down with chemicals and sh....tuff. Thank for the help as soon as this gets some paint on it I will try these things out.
      Corey

What I did was - eliminate the springs , and install a lightweight prop rod from a sunfire or cavi . This eliminated the hood bulge and a few #'s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com