Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Mock up of the D1SC on my 408 sbc

Here is a quick pic!

69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Country Flag: United States
      Looks a lot better there than on the carpet.
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

The wife thinks so too!
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Nice bay. If you can get the EV Pro hat and fab up some 4" tubing. I just switched from an EV 3.5" hat with a 1" spacer to the EV Pro hat and I can feel more torque from 2000rpm upwards. Its harder to keep traction from a dead hook or from a 30 mph roll!!!!! If you have the spectre hat or Procharger low rise sell 'em pronto!!!

I purchased the standard 4" tall EV hat with the 3.5" inlet. It also has no divider. Thats all I can fit with my 2" cowl hood. Still may need to do some minor trimming. Hat should be here in a few days.
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

you goin to put an intercooler on it?

Plans for now are water/meth injection kit. Down the road maybe....
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Quote Originally Posted by 4086D9 View Post
      Plans for now are water/meth injection kit. Down the road maybe....
      what compression are you going to run and how much boost?

I Would recommned you install a temp sensor at the intake as well so you can measure your air temp going into your carb and monitor it. I know a lot guys that throw blowers on with no cooling and get detonation and all kinds of nasty stuff becuase of running high temp air under boost into the carb.

Its not pretty.

are you putting a vacuum actuated blow off valve post blower on it?

Comp ratio is right at 9.8 to 1. As for boost with this shortblock plans are for 6-8 psi. Down the road I plan to build a real nice shortblock built specfic for boost. I also have a bypass valve in between the blower and the carb. Troy(Blown353) on here is a buddy of mine and has done a ton of blow thru stuff. He will be helping me tune it.
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

FYI, your pulleys will be here tomorrow. They tried to deliver today.
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Cool! PM me the total for it all.

Thanks!
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Comp ratio is right at 9.8 to 1. As for boost with this shortblock plans are for 6-8 psi. Down the road I plan to build a real nice shortblock built specfic for boost. I also have a bypass valve in between the blower and the carb. Troy(Blown353) on here is a buddy of mine and has done a ton of blow thru stuff. He will be helping me tune it.
      that compression is on the high end - especially if you are not intercooling.

8 or 8.5 would be best.

know you are not running a lot of boost - but.......you will want to one day.

8 to 8.5 is pretty low for a centri blower. Most seem to be in the 8.5 to 9.2 range. When I plan to crank the boost up I will have a real stout shortblock. With just 6-8 psi the car should still move out real well. Shoot N/A right now it runs 11.8's with 0 tuning so it no slouch. I would like to see some high 10's with low boost.
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

8 to 8.5 is pretty low for a centri blower. Most seem to be in the 8.5 to 9.2 range. When I plan to crank the boost up I will have a real stout shortblock. With just 6-8 psi the car should still move out real well. Shoot N/A right now it runs 11.8's with 0 tuning so it no slouch. I would like to see some high 10's with low boost.
      I have found the opposite and if you do some searches on blowers on here and other forums the consensus seems to be 8 to 8.5 to keep it running well and safe and solid. 6 psi should not be a problem and the higher compression will give you better low end with the low boost - but if you ever intend on going above 10 psi I would go on the lower side of compression.

what hp is running now at the rw? 11.8 is pretty darn fast.

btw - I have changed my view of methanol water injection - DONT DO IT>

I just got back from the shop looking at a kenneth bell twin screw that was trashed from a guy running meth injection on it - it corroded it and it was consuming itself . very costly mistake.

I would suspect this wont be good long term on any internals of blowers after seeing this.

I have done quite a bit of reasearch on it. If you go on Turbomustangs.com you will find most "street car's" prefer a bit more compression so when the car is not in boost its not to lazy like it will be with 8-8.5 to1. My buddy Blown353 and Camcojb on here have build tons of blow thru set ups and feel the same way. As far as the water/meth injection I plan to just use water as it does better to reduce inlet temps. Plus if it fails my A/F will remain the same. The next motor will be around 8.8 to 9 to 1. If i can swing it I will intercool this set up....we will see how the cash flow is!

Not sure on what my motor makes N/A as its never been on a dyno. But I would say its appox 475 fwhp or so. With the high stall converter and TH400/GV overdrive/Ford 9" Im sure the rwhp numbers are not great. Probably around 350rwhp or so.
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Quote Originally Posted by wicked68 View Post
      I have found the opposite and if you do some searches on blowers on here and other forums the consensus seems to be 8 to 8.5 to keep it running well and safe and solid. 6 psi should not be a problem and the higher compression will give you better low end with the low boost - but if you ever intend on going above 10 psi I would go on the lower side of compression.

what hp is running now at the rw? 11.8 is pretty darn fast.

btw - I have changed my view of methanol water injection - DONT DO IT>

I just got back from the shop looking at a kenneth bell twin screw that was trashed from a guy running meth injection on it - it corroded it and it was consuming itself . very costly mistake.

I would suspect this wont be good long term on any internals of blowers after seeing this.
      I run water only for that reason... methanol is mildly corrosive to aluminum especially if there are spots for it to puddle and sit. I've run distilled water only for 5 years through my engine and there are no corrosion problems-- in fact it keeps the combustion chambers & intake valves cleaner than NOT using water because of the steam cleaning effect!

However, I don't get into the boost (and water) for the last 5-10 minutes of driving time to give the water a chance to migrate & evaporate.

Water/methanol mix can make more power when tuned for it compared to water only, but the added expense plus the possible corrosion issues is why I choose to run water only. A few HP isn't worth the possible corrosion issues, at least to me.

As far as compression, for 3 years I ran 9.25:1 and 15.5 psi of boost (non-intercooled, water injection only) with no issues on 91 octane. It's all in the combo & tune. The engine was tuned to run reliably at 15.5 psi without the water injection, and the water was only added as a little bit of precaution.

Ron's 9.8:1 will run great probably even at 10-12 psi but I would be hesitant to do so given the rotating assembly and the cam won't be conducive to higher boost, so around 6psi will probably be where we end up at.
      1969 Chevelle

More test fitting...

69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Hi 4086D9 did you buy any chance purchase your hat on Ebay from the UK?

No...I purchased mine from the states.
      69 Camaro
      491BBC/TH400/GV OD/9"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com