Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LT1 installation in 68 Camaro help

I know this is the LS1 section but i didnt know where else to put it. Im buying an LT1 for cheap. I allready have an lt1 6 speed trans and an lt1 clutch. Where can i get the harness modified and what do i do for motor mounts? Im just trying to get a picture on what i need to get this motor in and running.

thanks
      Jesse

1969 Camaro under construction.
      1967 firebird. 6.0/t56. Ridetech stage 2. Moser 9 inch. Forgeline wheels.(SOLD)

Country Flag: United States
      Speartech.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I used the painless one (60502) without any problems. Let me know if you have any lt1 swap questions, had mine for about 6 years now.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Speartech. John does good work, although he can be slow at times - but he stands 100% behind his harnesses. As long as you aren't in a huge rush...
      The few, the proud, the crazy... the LT1 owners.

I wanted to show some pictures detailing a urban legend that an LT1 won't fit in an older car without major modification. This is simply not true. :bsjerk: Yes, the LT1 has offset motor mounts, but this is easily changed. Check it out:

This is what you start with. All you need to do is remove the stud on the far left (this used to mount part of the A/C compressor), and ta-da, you have your traditional Gen 1 SBC mounting point for your motor mounts.

Lined up with my new Energy Suspension polyurethane mount:

Note that this LT1 is from a B-body Caprice, and I eliminated the A/C. The same procedure holds true for the F-body (Camaro, Firebird) but the Corvette already has this problem out of the way - since the accessories are on the driver's side to start.

Alright cool! This sounds so much easier then doing the LS1 swap. Its going to be really nice having fuel injection after driving my big block around and getting 5 MPG's. Im sure I will have more quetions soon. Im getting the motor this week. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Jesse

I have a GM type 2 steering pump, can I use that with this motor?

I am using the street and performance accys, it uses a type 2 ps pump. I originally used the vette accys but wanted more bling. The LT's aren't that bad, they have their downfalls but I have fun in mine. The swap principles (LS/LT) are the same, except as said before LT's are alot easier overall (less specialized swap parts). Getting ready to do a t56 swap in mine. I have 300 rwhp and still get 20+ mpg.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

The motor is from a 94 camaro which from what i understand does not have a vented optispark. Im wondering if i should look into converting to the vented set up?

Jesse

If it works, don't F with it. If it doesn't work, then converting to the vented Opti is a good investment.

Word to the wise: have you thought about a fuel delivery system?

No i have no idea what im going to do for fuel yet. Any reccomendations?

Yeah... like save your pennies by going with a stock style tank with the EFI pick-up in the tank. I went with a Rock Valley stainless tank... $$$$$$$$$$$... what a waste of perfectly good money. Plus I had to send it back for them to get it right. You're lucky you have a common Camaro... try having an X body some time.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # GM32AFI {Fuel Tank Assembly}
      Fuel Tank Assembly; (Includes In-Tank Stock-Capacity fuel pump);Lock Ring Kit Included
      $449 at rockauto.com

Bend your own hard line, and terminate it using braided flex hose. Russell makes quick connect to -6AN fittings so you can hook up to the LT1 fuel rail easily.

I'm dealing with this chit as we speak. Running the fuel system is the biggest PITA in this whole build so far.

cool thing about the motor mount ..... i did not know that .

I already have a fuel cell re-cessed into the trunk and all brand new AN lines. What if i set up a return line and a fuel injection style external pump? Id like to keep this set up if i can.

You can run a Aeromotive pump to supply fuel if you wish. I know there are other companies that make quality external pumps, I just don't know of them off hand right now. Magnafuel?

Get an adjustable regulator for the fuel rail. You can use it for fine tuning the pressure since you'll be running a much stronger pump than the factory one.

Changing the opti over to a vented style unit is not a bad idea. What I would recommend instead is searching for info on making a non vented a vented one. People swear it works better than the vented designed ones. Besides, you have to swap front covers and make a dowel pin change to run a vented opti on a original nonvented engine. There's a cam difference too and I can't remember which way it works but it has to do with the hole in the front of the cam not the dowel pin.

In general, the LT1/4 may be a unique block but it's so similar to a normal SBC that there's nothing to really worry about when using them. Just treat them as a one piece rear seal SBC
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroJesse View Post
      I already have a fuel cell re-cessed into the trunk and all brand new AN lines. What if i set up a return line and a fuel injection style external pump? Id like to keep this set up if i can.
      I wouldn't suggest it... but to each their own...

Take one hard corner with a low tank of gas and ZZZT! There goes your external fuel pump, and the engine cuts out. External pumps are loud as hell and need to be mounted lower than the tank as close to the tank as possible.

Is your fuel cell baffled?

The cell has a bunch of foam in it.

I got mine for an 86 Monte from John at Speartech.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

sorry to but in, new member. I have the LT1 swap, stock LT1 power steering pump hooked up to the stock Camaro power steering gearbox. I an getting literally no power feel at low rpms. Before I start replacing stuff should this match p and work at all? It never has since the swap. Ive been ok with it up until now as I have started some autox events. Thanks for any feedback on this power steering system.

I know you said you wanted to stick with your fuel cell but you'll end up hating the noise of an external fuel pump in no time. Have you considered a Caprice fuel tank? I've seen a few of these conversions in First Gen's and would've done it myself if I hadn't gone vaporworx already.
      BTW-You can order a stock style 3/8" stainless steel fuel line with GM fuel injection style ends from Classic Tube and then use locking -6 AN hose ends that connect to the stock Caprice/Camaro fuel rail.
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...6erl/overview/

-Jim
      Last edited by camrat68; 12-04-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added pn for hose end
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com