Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Baer vs Wilwood....better choice for the money?

Hey guys,
      I have been going back and forth between Wilwood and Baer 6 piston set-ups for my front disc upgrade and rear drum to disc conversion. For those that have used these manufacturers, for the money is there any real advantage of one over the other? Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      I guess it depends on which brake systems you are really trying to compare.

If you are using a kit that is comprised of OEM abutments and calipers... this pretty much allows you to get replacement parts from just about everywhere. Whereas... with the Wilwood stuff... you can not. Maybe this is or is not a big issue... but if you do a lot of driving or if this is a daily driver... the down time waiting for parts to show up in the mail can make a difference.

Performance wise... they are pretty on an even plain. The high dollar kits from either of them are comparable. The mid range stuff leans a little towards the Wilwoods (repeatability and overall performance)... as this is where caliper construction of Wilwood makes the biggest difference. And then on the lower end... the OEM kills Wilwood.

For the money... the Baer GT stuff is damn hard to beat. Then to get into a six piston set-up... the Wilwoods start to shine. Iguess this really comes down to what you are looking at and how much you really want to spend.

From Baer I am looking at Pro-Plus 14" front and Track system with 13" rotors for the rear.

From Wilwood I am looking at Superlite 6 Big Brake Front and am still looking at rear options

I really like the look of the rear Wilwood calipers compared to the Baer...especially with an open spoke wheel design that would highlight the caliper/rotor assembly.

Between the two listed... I would lean toward the Wilwood.

The Baer 6 series calipers weight a flippin ton... and they have had a few problems with the caliper concerning pad wear... along with some other issues. But even with the issues being corrected... the weight of the caliper alone would make me look elsewhere.

The Wilwoods on the other hand... are damn light. A 13 inch SL4 would do the deed to button up the rear.

Yhe baer stuff is just more money, and the Wilwood stuff is good stuff.

Can anybody provide me with a specific kit from either company that would upgrade my front discs with max benefit while retaining the stock rear drums? I'll probably look for a 1" drop via new spindles at the same time. This is for a 70 Z28 with American 17" TTII wheels. I've tried searching the websites but can't find a definitive answer. Thanks.

Would probably be best just to call them both.
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
      Would probably be best just to call them both.
      Why? So they can each tell you how great they are?
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
      Why? So they can each tell you how great they are?
      As wise man once said!

"If you want to know what product is best, just call the manufacturer of the product"

Or talk to people that use the different products.

Personally, I really dislike the factory style e brake on the Baer set up. the Wilwood internal drum is superior and much easier to package.

That bear caliper reminds me of a 1987 Grand Prix with the same style calper. Always hated those things!! My e brake works awesome with my wilwoods. Simple and modern. Hard to beat Franks deals on brakes.
      Todd

Personally, I really dislike the factory style e brake on the Baer set up. the Wilwood internal drum is superior and much easier to package.
      THIS. Everyone I know that's used them, has raved about how easy the ebrake is to set up and use. Plus, to me wilwood is a "real" racing brake company. They have the best reputation going back decades.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Hey guys be careful. Keep in mind that rotor diameter is something to think about, bit the caliper bore sizing is VERY crucial. The Wilwood 6 piston and the Corvette c5 caliper have nearly identical bore sizes and create the same force, the c5 caliper uses a bigger pad. Watch out for "bling" style parts. Wilwoods work great on my 2150 pound GT-2 car, but they try and sell me the same stuff for my 3450 pound Camaro, yeah right! I put C5 stuff on my camaro, and swaped to a 7/8" master and now run manual brakes. last auto cross I nearly could stop the car as I went a bit off course. I have a few brake force calculators i use, Don't think you are upgrading your brakes, when you may be down grading the actual braking force. put the numbers in this calculator and see the results from a stock set up to a Wilwood or baer, I am thinking adding a power booster back on to the car, which gives poor feel, but will at least stop the car.
      http://www.jakelatham.com/radical/in...culators.shtml

or
      http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...alculator.html

Quote Originally Posted by ks71z28 View Post
      Hey guys be careful. Keep in mind that rotor diameter is something to think about, bit the caliper bore sizing is VERY crucial. The Wilwood 6 piston and the Corvette c5 caliper have nearly identical bore sizes and create the same force, the c5 caliper uses a bigger pad. Watch out for "bling" style parts. Wilwoods work great on my 2150 pound GT-2 car, but they try and sell me the same stuff for my 3450 pound Camaro, yeah right! I put C5 stuff on my camaro, and swaped to a 7/8" master and now run manual brakes. last auto cross I nearly could stop the car as I went a bit off course. I have a few brake force calculators i use, Don't think you are upgrading your brakes, when you may be down grading the actual braking force. put the numbers in this calculator and see the results from a stock set up to a Wilwood or baer, I am thinking adding a power booster back on to the car, which gives poor feel, but will at least stop the car.
      http://www.jakelatham.com/radical/in...culators.shtml

or
      http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...alculator.html
      Great advice. As with clutches, brakes don't have any "black magic." It is all about rotor diameter, caliper piston area, pad area, pad compound, and MC size. The number of pistons in a caliper doesn't mean anything. It is the piston area that is important. Pad area is important to consider in regards to pad life. Race cars that are setup for endurance racing use calipers with bigger pads. Short races can get away with smaller pads to save weight.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

wilwood all the way

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Great advice. As with clutches, brakes don't have any "black magic." It is all about rotor diameter, caliper piston area, pad area, pad compound, and MC size. The number of pistons in a caliper doesn't mean anything. It is the piston area that is important. Pad area is important to consider in regards to pad life. Race cars that are setup for endurance racing use calipers with bigger pads. Short races can get away with smaller pads to save weight.

Andrew
      Thanks

Wilwood is the real deal and much lighter.

Coming from a racing background and from a standpoint of having owned and ran both hard, the baer's are not only better, but have better sealing for road use, including rain. The wilwoods are good, just not as good.

wilwood for me they work great.

Mike

Nice to see this is alive. I will try Wilwoods sometime because I feel the fixed caliper has some advantages over a floating design in brake feel, but at a cost of almost double, is it worth it? Keep in mind I am running manual brakes. A stock set up with a power booster will shread tires on braking just fine, at some point tire grip and chassis set up become very important on how effective your braking is. My 2c

I run Wilwood's 14" SL6 calipers up front with 13" SL4 calipers in the rear without a booster...absolutely NO complaints here.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com