Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

OLDFLM's (Ty) 71 Firebird comes to Fletcher's Customs!! Giving back for my Freedom!!

This thread has really taken off and the support and contributions from this community and its vendors, is honestly "unreal". You folks never cease to amaze me. I thought it would be best that I list sponsors up here as they are added. Keep reading through the posts to see all the new news as it happens!

Business Sponsors
      -Inland Empire Driveline http://www.iedls.com/
      They have offered to donate a complete driveshaft for the Project

-Billet Accessories Direct http://www.billetaccessoriesdirect.com
      They have donated a "Smooth" series billet steering wheel

-Modo Innovations http://www.modoinnovations.com/
      They have donated a set of there awesome pedal covers

-Hoodpins.net http:// www.hoodpins.net
      Awesome set of hood pins

-Autorad Radiators http://www.autoradradiators.com/
      Custom Built Aluminum Radiator, and Aluminum core Support

-Ben @ Hermance Design http://www.hermancedesign.com/ for all his hard work he is doing on the design and layout of the car.

-Morris Classic Concepts http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/
      Front 3 point belts , and rear belts

-Anvil Auto http://www.anvilauto.com/
      Carbon Fiber Formula hood, nose, lower valance, rear spoiler, rear bumper, tail panel, dash guage bezel, console pieces

-Marquez Design http://www.marquezdesign.com/
      Custom interior door panels, rear pacakge tray, billet striker, billet jamb vents, billet hood adjusters

- AGR Performance http://www.agrperformance.com/ to the build.
      Larry with AGR has graciously donated a Billet 12.1 Steering Box and one of there great steering pumps

-Fesler Built http://www.feslerbuilt.com/
      Chris has donated a set of his hood hinges and will be doing a ton of new parts for first gen firebirds, with us getting the first sets. Tail lights, front signals, markers, along with a bunch of other goodies he is going to try and replicate, all out of nice shiny Billet!!

-US Collision,
      Mario (DOOM) has donated all the paint materials for the car. PPG base, clear and all other needed reducers, etc

-Pro-Touring F-Body http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/index.html
      Dave has donated a set of there awesome G-braces for the car

-Phoenix Transmission http://www.phoenixtrans.com/
      they have donated the following parts
      -special built version of there PT700R4ST 700R4 tranny
      -Torque Max 2500 Stall convertor
      -Ponitac adaptor plate
      -TV cable system
      -Dipstick and tube
      -Tranny x-member

--Auto Custom Carpet www.accmats.com
      they have graciously donated a full custom carpet kit, with one of kind custom embroidered floor mats. Thanks to Julie Tyson for working and helping us out with the project

-Shiftworks http://www.shiftworks.com/
      Herb... donated a 4-speed conversion kit to convert the stock slap stick shifter over to a 4-speed auto to work with the 700R4 from Phoenix Transmission Products!

--Hedman Hedders www.hedman.com
      They have graciously donated a set of #28150 ceramic coated headers to project CF-71 Freedom Bird!!
      Special thanks to Vic Wood for working this and helping us out with the project!

-American Autowire www.americanautowire.com
      They have graciously donated a complete “Classic Update” wiring kit to the build!! https://0193647.netsolstores.com/ind...D&ProdID=28047
      Special thanks to Donnie Bock for working hard on this for us and helping out with the project!

-Kevin Swaney at TIN INDIAN Performance (TIP) has partnered with Jeff Kauffman at Kauffman Racing Equipment (KRE) to build my 400cid Pontiac engine into a 440cid-stroker! The new engine will feature ALL aftermarket parts with the only original piece being the factory iron block... topped off with KRE heads and TIPs custom engraved billet valve covers!

-Pypes Performance Exhaust-
      XVF13s 3" x-pipes and MVR16S 3" RacePro mufflers!!

Personal Folks, who have made donations be it money or parts

-camcojb-Jody
      -SPchiv- Full poly bushing kit and stainless bolt kit
      -70bird-Mark
      -gearheads78-Richard

Moved over from Lateral G, so posts are a couple weeks old!! Know you guys over here know Ty and myself also, so knew you guys would want to see the process

Ty (OLDFLM) contacted me last week about the possibilty of rescueing his car from paint jail. Ty is is a 23 active enlisted member of the Air Force and had the all to famous trapped story. Car was dropped off for a simple scuff and shoot, suppossed to take 3 weeks, and when I picked it up it has been 14 or so with very minimal work done. So I agree to do the car on Ty's budget. Its one of those "pay it forward" things. For 23 years hes been doing things for me, and my fellow americans, so I had to give back in a way.

So fast forward to last Saturday, I make the plans, hit the road and drive up to pick up the car from the local guy who has it. Get there to find the car sitting in the rain, while not usuallt to bad but the guy had already applied some bondo to the quarter seems, and places, there was quite of bit of bare metal on it. So immediatly I see that this is gonna turn into a lot more work, now I got to strip out all the mud he put on the car. Anyways we get it out "paint jail" and bring it back to my place. Where I jump on it, and by midnight Saturday its stripped and ready to start. Few days pass by and I jump back on the car last night. Me, Jerry, and new guy Micheal jump on the car trying to sand off all of "local guys" body work. And low and behold we start to find very old filler and repairs from way back before Ty owned the car. So we ditch the little sanders, for 4.5 angle grinders with 3M pads on it and go to work. 4 hours later and lots work, we got a shop 2" in dust and bare metal on both quarters. Way back when apparently the car got rearend, and the shop who fixed it did some nice work!! You know instead of pulling out the dent in the lower valance lets jut slap in 3" of mud and call it a day. Filler must have been cheap back in the 70's!!! Basically I had no plans of stripping the car to metal, but once I started and didn't find things I liked then I had to. This wasn't included in Ty's budget, but I just can't bring myself to leave crap!! Anyone who wants to help out let me know. Lets give back to our troops!!

Current Plans while at Fletcher's Customs:

Bodywork, bodywork, bodywork, did I say bodywork!! Lots of metal work, I don't liek mud so there's gonna be a lot time spent with a hammer and dolly to get things straight
      -Paint a nice Burgundy that pops
      -Install Kore brake kit
      -Install 18" Rushforth Superspoke wheels and tires
      -Install Autometer guages
      -fix some other little issues

Few pics from earlier in the year, with the Resto Mod look

Right after it got in my shop

Some pics after last nights sanding thrash!!!

Jerry getting it done!!

Micheal getting in the action

By 9PM she looked better

Little history. Ty is 23 year active Air Force guy, with 4 kids a wife and very tight budget. He contacted me, gave me his situation and his budget. My heart told me "its the least I can do". this guy has helped defend my freedom , I can give back to him and touch his life. His budget is only about 1/4 of what I am doing to the car. I was simply going to rescue the car from the previous paint jail it was in, and do a simple scuff and shoot!! But then I wanted to give back. So its turned into a full on build. Complete strip of car, rust repair, lots metal work, bodywork, paint, strip and paint subframe, refinish underside of car with bedliner, etc, etc. You figure I am already 20 plus hours into the car now @ $50 a hour, I half his budget already! And still got a to buy a ton of materials.

I am doing a lot of stuff he didn't ask for, but its my way of giving back. hoping that he and his family can enjoy the car and maybe he can use it in his daily life to show other active veterans how much we appreciate them.

There are ton of things we need for the car!! I'm not a big high dollar shop!! I am simply a two man operation. No big budgets to throw at this car. So any help I can get on parts, etc is much appreciated and lets us all give back! if there is anything or if you would just simply like to help out please let me or Ty know. Thanks from Fletcher's Customs

What do you need? If We can help I think we all would try to.

Country Flag: United States
      Very cool! If I live closer, I'd donate some labor, but Indiana would be a far drive!

Keep up the good work. I love those early 70's Birds.
      Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

Well there things that were found that are needed!!! Then there are for sure tons of dreams Ty has!!

Needed

Full bushing kit for car
      tie rods
      full bolt kit
      rear leaf spring shackles
      set of stock or tubular upper control arms
      passenger floor pan

Wish list, well thats TY's job not mine

Sweet! Congrats Ty! That's such a nice thing you guys are doing!
      Helping those who help us is what it's all about. Ty's a very cool and deserving guy. I can't wait to see how Pro-touring.com comes through for another worthy cause!
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Grateful and humbled...

Quote Originally Posted by 72 GOAT
      What do you need? If We can help I think we all would try to.
      I don’t know whether to be embarrassed or humbled by all the attention this project is getting… but I am truly grateful!

(I thought) The car was a pretty nice “restomod” but I wanted to go the pro-touring route… call it my mid life crisis… but I sold my daily driver Pontiac G6 GT to eliminate the monthly car payment/free up funds and pulled the money for the wheels, brakes and paint out of my Roth IRA. I know, I know… don’t beat me up too bad over it… but that’s the only way I could afford to give the car the facelift I felt it deserved. I’d have probably lost the money by now anyway right! LOL

As Chad described, his part of the project started out as just getting it out of a local 4 month paint jail… a scuff-n-shoot job that was quoted to take only 3 weeks. That was mid-June. Fast forward to the present and I think “good things do come to those who wait” because I’m certain I’ll end up with a MUCH nicer car in every aspect than if it had stayed where it was! I can’t thank Chad and Jerry enough for taking on this project and the deal Fletcher’s Customs is giving me on the car!!! He’s literally doing the entire car for what the local guy originally quoted me for just the scuff-n-shoot! About 1/4th of what he would normally get for the same job! These guys are amazing!!

Even taking Chad’s generous discount into consideration I’m still trying to avoid project creep as I am on a very tight budget. I’m certain that the car has never been taken this far down before since it’s a 71 and I bought it in 1985 and it shows. It seems that nothing on the car has ever been apart and nearly everything needs to be replaced. Chad’s doing a great job of staying focused on what’s really “needed” to do it right this time and not letting me get carried away “dreaming” about what I’d like to do to the car if the budget allowed.

Here’s what we know is “needed” to continue:

- LUGNUTS! LOL I've misplaced the lugs that came from DriverzInc somewhere!

- Master Cylinder... either a 77 Malibu manual MC or the Wilwood deal...

- Body bushings… Chad said the original rubber core support bushings crumbled in their hands when they took them out!

- A-arms… bushings weren’t installed correctly back in 1990 (PST kit) and the A-arms were bent

- Bushing kit… A-arm bushings, sway bar bushings etc.

- Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends… 18 years old and need replaced.

- Rear spring bushings and shackles… the bushings are the original rubbers and the shackles had to be cut to get them out!

- Bolt/fastener kit… 90 percent of the bolts they touch either break or have to be cut out!

Here’s a laundry list that I had already started before Chad got the car… what I “wanted” to get to give it a deserved facelift:

- New shocks… the KYBs were put on there in 1990 along with the PST rebuild kit… it’s gonna be a driver!

- Gas tank/sending unit… had to buy new fuel and brake lines when they cracked while patching rust in the rear frame rails…

- Morris Concepts 3-point retractable seatbelts… front belts are inop... 3-points provide added safety factor!

- New glass… original side glass is badly scratched… front and rear glass is pitted/scratched… needs replaced

- Vintage Air… it’s gonna get hot down here next summer and I plan to use the car as my sunny day daily driver

- P O N T I A C emblem for trunk filler panel… Formula 400 emblems for the fenders…

- Hedman 28150 headers… freebie Summit 4-tubes are showing their age and one hangs an inch lower than the other

- Trans cooler lines… just prebent replacements needed…nothing fancy

- Overflow jug… junkyard find doesn’t seem like it’ll fit the car when done any longer!

- New Carpet… Original carpet is badly faded and smells like dead mice! LOL

- Dynamat/Hushmat/Second Skin… something to put under the carpet and quiet the interior

- New sill plates… just the $25 repops… no need for expensive NOS stuff here…

- New seats… even though they’re in good shape the stock seats don’t offer much support or bolstering

- battery tray… the stocker is only about half there! Or we could move it to the trunk?

- Dash pad cap… the stock dash is badly cracked as is common in 2nd Gens…

- Washer bottle, hose, filter… missing in action… the car hasn’t had one since I’ve owned it.

- Interior trim screw kit… would like to replace all those dry wall screws

- Dome lens kit/bulb… again it’s MIA and has never been in the car since I’ve owned it.

- Remote battery kit (trunk mount)

- Bright Driver Headlights

- Upgraded altenator

- Selecta-speed wiper kit

Now, IF I weren’t on a budget and could build my dream: (c:]

- 462 stroker kit for the Poncho 400, KRE 290cfm D-port heads, Hyd Roller cam... OR...

- LS2/3/7… with a Schwartz drive by wire TBI intake and a repop Ram Air air cleaner to work with the hood…
      (and Pontiac baby blue valve covers!)

- TKO600 5 speed

- 9" rear or 12 bolt

- Full Tubular Arm package

- Coilovers

- 4 link rear

- Aluminum Radiator

- Upgraded Seats

- 5 point cage

- Power windows, locks and an alarm system

- Killer stereo system

Again, I truly appreciate and am humbled by all the attention this project is getting! (c:]

V/R,

Ty
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

If you end up making the LS jump let me know and BRP will be happy to set you up with a kit, thanks again for your service. Check out www.Car-Part.com you might be able to snag a good deal on a 6.0L truck motor and make the LS swap without having to break the bank.

Wow!! thanks for the generosity!! you guys really are what makes me love this world and most of all this hobby!!

Thanks to SPCHIV for coming through with a gracious gift.He donated a full Poly bushing kit and full stainless bolt kit from Year one!!!

Thanks to Syborg tt for his gift of a set of locking brushed hood pins from hoodpins.net

WOW! Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks to all those sponsors out there how have something to contribute. It's always cool to show that there is some good left in the world.

This thread will be epic.
      /I called it!
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Probably couldn't have picked a worse time of year!! You know being SEMA is like any day now!! lol

This thread will be here when they get back! Never underestimate how awesome this community is. We're the best "car club" in the world, as far as I'm concerned.
      Last edited by TonyL; 10-27-2008 at 02:22 PM.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

You picked one of the best looking cars ever to build with. It will be a sweet looking project when done!!!
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Good to see another bird getting rebuilt. Mine's a 69 so I don't think any of my extra parts will fit or I would send them your way.

P.S. I'm also a boilermaker.
      69 Firebird Convertible.
      www.stevegarrison.com click Firebird link at bottom of page

Is it still going to look like this when done?
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
      Is it still going to look like this when done?

Yep! Ben Hermance did that rendering for me months ago... but it looks like it's finally gonna happen now! (c:]
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Thanks Guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
      Thanks to SPCHIV for coming through with a gracious gift.He donated a full Poly bushing kit and full stainless bolt kit from Year one!!!

Thanks to Syborg tt for his gift of a set of locking brushed hood pins from hoodpins.net
      I can't thank Steve (spchiv) and Marty (Syborg tt) enough for their generousity!!! MUCH appreciated guys!!!!!!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
      Little history. Ty is 23 year active Air Force guy, with 4 kids a wife and very tight budget. He contacted me, gave me his situation and his budget. My heart told me "its the least I can do". this guy has helped defend my freedom , I can give back to him and touch his life. His budget is only about 1/4 of what I am doing to the car. I was simply going to rescue the car from the previous paint jail it was in, and do a simple scuff and shoot!! But then I wanted to give back. So its turned into a full on build. Complete strip of car, rust repair, lots metal work, bodywork, paint, strip and paint subframe, refinish underside of car with bedliner, etc, etc. You figure I am already 20 plus hours into the car now @ $50 a hour, I half his budget already! And still got a to buy a ton of materials.

I am doing a lot of stuff he didn't ask for, but its my way of giving back. hoping that he and his family can enjoy the car and maybe he can use it in his daily life to show other active veterans how much we appreciate them.

There are ton of things we need for the car!! I'm not a big high dollar shop!! I am simply a two man operation. No big budgets to throw at this car. So any help I can get on parts, etc is much appreciated and lets us all give back! if there is anything or if you would just simply like to help out please let me or Ty know. Thanks from Fletcher's Customs
      I can't tell you how excited I am that Fletcher's Customs is working on the car now!! I'm 41 and have had this car since high school (1985)... it was my first car and carries alot of sentimental value and memories as you can imagine. Somehow traveling around all these 23+ years while on active duty in the Air Force I've managed to keep the car and work on it when time and money allowed. I'm anxious to see the car finally make the jump from restomod to pro-touring!! ... and that sick feeling in my gut is fading knowing that it's in good hands now... Thanks Chad!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com