Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

79-93 pro-touring mustangs are there any???

I know pro--touring cars are mainly older cars. I been building 79-93 mustangs for ever want to build one that i can drive daily with 18-20inch wheels. Fuel inj turbo big block with air, overdrive, more of road race suspension,bad ass paint. This would show my skills and talents as well Any pics of others that have been done? thanks tim

I know there are a few member with foxbodys on here. do a search. might wana consider a small block if you gonna wana road race it.
      1973 C10,400sbc, Baer Brakes, 4 link,TOYO tires
      2010 Charger RT

ya wont really be a road racer, I am just so use to drag cars want something different something i can enjoy something that can take turns without having to slow down

Country Flag: United States
      AHEM, cough cough. frankenstang.com (really crappy site) and fquick.com/frankenstang.

It ran 12.04 @ 120.2 last friday and I need to learn how to launch the car. We drove it to the rt66 cruise in D-town Springfield Il. 3 weeks ago.
      It handles better than anything I've ever owned and I get 20mpg with over 500horse to the wheels.

with that trap speed it should fly

whats all done to the suspension??

2003 Cobra IRS, came with the 3:55 gears and 31 spline axles. Tubular K member up front, modified stock lower control arms. Bilstein struts/shocks. 13" Cobra front brakes on 95 Mustang spindles. We used BBK 2"lowering springs in front and cut 3/4 of a coil off of the Cobra 'vert rear springs. I made my own subframe connectors and welded a bunch of plate steel into the rear torque boxes to stiffen the mounting points for the rear IRS subframe.

The wheels are 98 GT factory Ford that were stripped of paint and polished. Weldcraft widened the rears to 9.5" wide.

Yeah, it's not setup for outright drag racing for sure. One reason for the dismal 2.0-1.8 60ft times I get.

Good luck in your search. --Joe

Here's my little Fox Coupe.

It has some Maximum Motorsports goodies along with air ride. It makes for a nice little street/strip/AutoX combo. And I think it looks cool laid on the ground.

http://www.musclerides.com/forum2/sh...?t=1100&page=2

The center caps are on it now - I was waiting for them to arrive when I took these pics.

Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

Quote Originally Posted by frankenstang
      2003 Cobra IRS, came with the 3:55 gears and 31 spline axles. Tubular K member up front, modified stock lower control arms. Bilstein struts/shocks. 13" Cobra front brakes on 95 Mustang spindles. We used BBK 2"lowering springs in front and cut 3/4 of a coil off of the Cobra 'vert rear springs. I made my own subframe connectors and welded a bunch of plate steel into the rear torque boxes to stiffen the mounting points for the rear IRS subframe.

The wheels are 98 GT factory Ford that were stripped of paint and polished. Weldcraft widened the rears to 9.5" wide.

Yeah, it's not setup for outright drag racing for sure. One reason for the dismal 2.0-1.8 60ft times I get.

how hard was the independent rear swap?? like the idea to widen the stock wheel.

nice car nice mods

wiedemab
      Registered User Join Date: Oct 2004
      Trader Rating: (0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my little Fox Coupe.

It has some Maximum Motorsports goodies along with air ride. It makes for a nice little street/strip/AutoX combo. And I think it looks cool laid on the ground.

http://www.musclerides.com/forum2/sh...?t=1100&page=2

how do you like the air ride? is that there bolt in unit?? How does it compare to a stock set up?? I like the stance lowered!!!

www.maierracing.com for some neat handling stuff for a Mustang. Mike Maier just won the SCCA Solo Nationals in a C Prepared Mustang (not a fox body) but very cool nonetheless. He does have a fox body that has won Nationals before and knows how to set one of these up well. These Mustangs are excellent for a pro-touring build and make very competitive autocross/track cars as well.

I'll try to find and post a pic of Mikey's car ...

Cheers,
      Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Quote Originally Posted by 200horse
      how do you like the air ride? is that there bolt in unit?? How does it compare to a stock set up?? I like the stance lowered!!!
      I like it for what I do with the car. It all depends on how you are going to use it. If I was going to be taking it to the track every weekend, drag or road course, I'd probably go a different route. I use the car, mainly on the street, will occasionally go to the drag strip and I will also AutoX it a couple of times a year. I like the adjustability of ride height and firmness on the street. I think it rides better than it did with my Eibach Pro-kit (it rode really rough).

I used air ride's cool ride in the front and rear. I modified and made mounts for the rear bags to work with the Maximum Motorsports lca's.
      Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

Sorry to hi jack this thread but Im wondering how tight your 9.5 wheels fit. I dont think I have enough room to do that on the rear of my 82. I also have the 03 IRS.

Im planning a lot of MM suspension including the tubular k member to fit my 04 Mach 1 engine into my 82. Its getting the 04 interior also.

Best of luck with your project!

Got an '03 GT I like to throw into corners now and again! Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box w/ Wilwood SL6 and DL4's, 4:10's and LT's

John
      '66 Chevy II - The "NEW" '69 Camaro!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17108

Quote Originally Posted by 73z-6sp
      Sorry to hi jack this thread but Im wondering how tight your 9.5 wheels fit. I dont think I have enough room to do that on the rear of my 82. I also have the 03 IRS.

Im planning a lot of MM suspension including the tubular k member to fit my 04 Mach 1 engine into my 82. Its getting the 04 interior also.

Best of luck with your project!

You can fit a 17x9 with a 6.75" B.S. without too much drama. I had Weldcraft machine off 3/16"ths from the back side of the wheel hub. That brought the wheel safely inside the fender lip but the rear IRS subframe bolt was preventing the wheel from going on. I ended up cutting the bushing ear off and using the frame side bracket as a template to solidly mount the subframe to the car. It still unbolts, but there's an inch of extra room back there now.

There's some good pictures here: http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=3&carid=1498

The interior swap will be fun. I had to build the door panels from Fox panels and a set of 94+ panels. Pictures on the same page for that.
      There's a ton of info on the dash swap, Mine just turned out better than the others I've seen.

You can fit a 17x9 with a 6.75" B.S. without too much drama. I had Weldcraft machine off 3/16"ths from the back side of the wheel hub. That brought the wheel safely inside the fender lip but the rear IRS subframe bolt was preventing the wheel from going on. I ended up cutting the bushing ear off and using the frame side bracket as a template to solidly mount the subframe to the car. It still unbolts, but there's an inch of extra room back there now.

There's some good pictures here: http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=3&carid=1498

The interior swap will be fun. I had to build the door panels from Fox panels and a set of 94+ panels. Pictures on the same page for that.
      There's a ton of info on the dash swap, Mine just turned out better than the others I've seen.
      Hey! I've seen your car before! I didnt realize you had the IRS though. The way you modified the rear mount...did it make a difference in ride quality? Good idea.

I'm mostly done with the interior swap. Im using basically everything from the 04 including the seats. Im working on the rear quarter panel interior pieces. I used the 04 door panels in mine but it took a wee bit of modifying to make it work. Here's a pic:

http://www.modmusclecars.com/DSC01406a.JPG

http://www.modmusclecars.com/DSC01407a.JPG

Sweet!! need more pictures. I thought of doing my panels that way,I figured too much elbow room would be lost due to the thickness of the panel. Now there's only 2 fox's with the 'correct' door panel swaps done.

Keep us posted on the progress... I noticed no difference in ride qual after the solid mount was done. Sometimes I wish the car was more 'normal' so I could drive it more!!!

I saw a guy that runs around my town with a all black slamed down what looks like a 79 to 85 maybe with a very wide body kit and some very fat tires.

yes if it the kit i am thinking abou the flares are 12-18 inches front and rear?? Looks pretty good to me. I think someone use to manufacture the kits

i dunno if its pro touring, but i have a couple of mustangs that are "semi touring"? lol, the red one has a full MM suspension will billstein coil overs,panhard/torque arm,331-turbo,tko500.the black ones a work in progress.

http://i37.tinypic.com/5ttsz.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2my8846.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/36cf9.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/eumq03.jpg

I like the wheels/stance on the black one. The red one is nice too, but the black notch looks just right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com