Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loud Too Exhaust

I've been given orders by the wife to quiet the exhaust and I'm looking for ideas to quiet it down without sacrificing performance. I currently run Dougs 1-3/4 inch headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust and mufflers that I bought from Summit. I'm thinking a race type muffler in front of the mufflers might help. I don't want to get rid of my headers.

Country Flag: United States
      Which mufflers from Summit?

One way to quiet the system down is to install an X-pipe.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Magnaflow is a good choice. Pretty mellow until you get into it. I hope it's because it's annoying for her to ride in the car?
      Todd

Yes, it is because it is annoying to her. I have heard X-pipes will quite it some. They are the ones included in the Summit exhaust kit. They are a generic brand made in the USA. Straight through oval design. I'm open to a new header back system. Would adding a round muffler at the header flange help?

I agree with Vegas. Magnaflows are probably some of the tamest sounding quality mufflers out there. Not real loud at idle and cruising speeds.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Ok, here's another question. Are you running full tail pipes? Tail pipes help quiet a car down a lot. Are you setting off car alarms with it? It could also be that she's just used to what new cars sound like.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Quote Originally Posted by zbugger
      Ok, here's another question. Are you running full tail pipes? Tail pipes help quiet a car down a lot. Are you setting off car alarms with it? It could also be that she's just used to what new cars sound like.
      The tail pipes exit behind the wheel in the stock location for a 71 Nova. The engine is a ZZ4 350. The car will will easily set off alarms She liked my 92 V-6 Camaro with a Dynomax muffler and it would set off alarms too.

I'm starting to wonder if my problem is the headers. Is there a sound deadner for them? It would void the warrenty, but I'm using manifolds.

I'm thinking the following:
      1. Add a race muffler bolted to the collectors
      2. Insulate the engine compartment
      3. Install an X-pipe.
      4. What to do for mufflers. Which Magnaflows are the quietest? I would even get Borla's if they would help. If I tell her $600 will get it quiet, she will agree.

magnaflows are turbo style mufflers so any turbo style muffler is going to be the quietest... iirc the ones that come with the summit kit are turbos.
      also the most important thing to do sound deadener for passenger comfort. plan to spend around $400 on enough good sound deadener. im positive thats part of why the v6 didnt bother her.
      i wouldnt change the mufflers till after you try that. gut the int and cover the floors/doors/firewall/wheelwells(double layer) and behind the back seats.
      AJ
      1970 camaro rs, z28:pro-touring?... i wish
      93 trans am

Yeah... I'm with Jay on this one.

I would full sheet the firewall and floor pan with Dynomat/brownbag/or the like... first. Then I would make the call on the mufflers. I don't believe that I would add additional mufflers... just replace the ones you have. I will also third the use of Magnaflows... or even Dynomax 'Ultraflow welded' mufflers... these have been pretty much the quietest and least restrictive mufflers I have used... and Borlas would come in third place in that category (they flow even better, but do not attenuate as well.) I would also add an x-pipe... that in itself is a no brainer.

I don't believe that the headers are the issue... and there really isn't a way to quiet them down. Putting wrap on them will only focus the heat energy and possibly increase the amplitude of the pulse.

I agree with AJ as well. I only had one layer of Second Skin on the floor of my car and put about 400 miles on it and the noise was very reasonable. I have since put 3/8 of jute plus carpet over that. I haven't driven it but I am sure it will be great. I don't even have tailpipes on mine.
      Todd

Thanks for the inputs guys. The interior is already fully lined (floor, doors, quarters and cowl) with Second Skin Damplifier and Overkill with jutted carpet on top of that.

I will definitely get the X-pipe. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't put the second muffler/resolator in?

...unnecessary added cost, weight and restriction.

The money used for an additional muffler(s) would be better spent by replacing the exisiting muffler with one more suited to the requirement. I guess my question would be... why make it more complicated than it needs to be ??

For an inexpensive muffler, the hooker super comps have a good sound and are a good bit quieter than the magnaflows. (I've run both on the same motor)
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

dont give the wife a ride. lol
      rick k

Quote Originally Posted by rickk
      dont give the wife a ride. lol
      rick k
      I have to let her ride in it. When I'm cruising, I got'a have my girl by my side.

The Hooker's seem to get the quiet vote at this time, but I'm still looking.

I just recently yanked out my 3" maganflows because they were too loud for my taste and replaced them with dynomax turbo. It cut the noise almost in half.

When I had them both side by side you could look completely through the magnaflows, while the dynamax seem to follow an S path before exit.

Quote Originally Posted by dj3
      I just recently yanked out my 3" maganflows because they were too loud for my taste and replaced them with dynomax turbo. It cut the noise almost in half.

When I had them both side by side you could look completely through the magnaflows, while the dynamax seem to follow an S path before exit.
      I had Dynomax's on my 3rd Gen Camaro and they worked pretty good. I'm probably going to use that style of muffler.

Does anyone have experience with a Borla XR1 multi-chamber muffler. Their rep said they are the quietest that they have and should idle a little louder than a stock muffler.

Another vote for the Dynomax turbos for being quiet...and sounding good.
      Wayne Smith
      '70 Camaro - 406 - Street/Strip being converted to Pro-Touring (best 1/4 run - 11.05 @ 121, 1.50 60' - NA)
      '47 Chevy truck - 250 L6 / 5 spd - Resto Rod/Work Truck in the works

Quote Originally Posted by TnBlkC230WZ
      Does anyone have experience with a Borla XR1 multi-chamber muffler. Their rep said they are the quietest that they have and should idle a little louder than a stock muffler.
      i have xr-1s but thier not chambered or quiet... thats wierd though cause the xr-1 is thier race muffler, no reason for it to be quiet. but then again i didnt even know they have a xr-1 that was chambered.
      AJ
      1970 camaro rs, z28:pro-touring?... i wish
      93 trans am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com