Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      If you're wife's in the car, do you drive mainly at the lower RPMs? My car sounded like I was inside a speaker in the 2500-3200 RPM range. I installed a balance tube (H-pipe)...I couldn't fit an x-pipe in my car because of a driveshaft safety hoop.

The car is a lot quieter. I was going to do new mufflers too. I'm glad I didn't. I don't really need them now. Not sure what motor you have, but I have a 408 with a pretty good cam in it.

My kids tell me that it's a lot quieter inside, but still nice & loud from the outside when I pull away from the house. Best of both worlds.

H-pipe was about $70 at the local muffler shop. Try it first.
      Dan
      Chapel Hill, NC
      ***PM me if you're close by and can help with my 65 Mustang Fastback project***

My dynomax are very quiet by muscle car standards
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Borla does not offer a 'chambered' muffler... their product line is comprised of 'multi-core' and 'turbo' designs. The XR-1 was the first to use the straight thru, multi-core design. If used in the properly designed system... it can be very quiet. Not to mention, they are not really made to be quiet, they were made to keep the sound level under 96dB for sanctioned events with minimal restriction... hence being a "race" muffler.

As I said... they can be quiet. Back in 87-88'... I had client that had a 'unique' requirement. Well... long story short, we stuffed an R trim supercharged 410 cid SBC... into a Porsche 944 (mid engine) with a 930 transaxle. There was really no room for a muffler... or an exhaust system for that matter. We took it to Borla... they whittled up some headers and basically stufffed the mufflers right on the collectors. That was it. Collector... muffler... and a turn down... .. ...you couldnt even tell if the car was running at idle it was so quiet. Even at WOT on lost of boost... it was quiet.

It is still the only chassis I ever did that was actually quiet with a Borla product on it. Well... except for Jeeps.

The videos in my sig show my Camaro at idle and revving.

It has the Borla XR-1 race mufflers in 3.5" size with 3.5" pipes and turndowns. It's a 10.5:1 NA 406 with a roller cam. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it does sound sort of mellow and has some low baritone to it.
      Wayne Smith
      '70 Camaro - 406 - Street/Strip being converted to Pro-Touring (best 1/4 run - 11.05 @ 121, 1.50 60' - NA)
      '47 Chevy truck - 250 L6 / 5 spd - Resto Rod/Work Truck in the works

Sounds good Wayne....probably not the right muffler though.
      Todd

Glad to hear that some of you guys are using Second Skin to kill the noise in your cars.
      For a better combination, check out Damplifier Pro, then Luxury Liner Pro on top of that. You can also go with a heavy layer of Spectrum as an undercoating to sandwich the sheet metal.

This is awesome for noise and heat!

hope that helps!

ANT
      www.damplifier.com

Quote Originally Posted by 70camaro406
      The videos in my sig show my Camaro at idle and revving.

It has the Borla XR-1 race mufflers in 3.5" size with 3.5" pipes and turndowns. It's a 10.5:1 NA 406 with a roller cam. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it does sound sor tof mellow and has some low baritone to it.
      It does sound good and it is a good bit quieter than my Summit mufflers. It is always hard to tell how loud it really is on a video.

I'm going to go with the Borla turbo. I've measured and I have barely enough room for the 19 inch oval muffler. I'm running 2.5 inch pipes. I will also put a Pypes x-pipe in. Now I just have to decide if the 14 inch muffler will be enough or go with the 19 inch. I will also have the option of putting a second muffler between the quater panel and frame rail in the rear. There is room for a 12 inch long oval or a longer 4 inch round.

I have to have the car quiet outside as well as inside. It will be a sleepe when I'm done,

The Borla Turbo mufflers give off a lot of drone, I know from personal experince. And I have since changed to the Dyno Max and its pretty much gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69
      Sounds good Wayne....probably not the right muffler though.
      Thanks. When the car gets put back together, I think I'm going to use a 3" Pypes kit with x-pipe and Dynomax Ultraflows with full tail pipes out the back.
      Wayne Smith
      '70 Camaro - 406 - Street/Strip being converted to Pro-Touring (best 1/4 run - 11.05 @ 121, 1.50 60' - NA)
      '47 Chevy truck - 250 L6 / 5 spd - Resto Rod/Work Truck in the works

Quote Originally Posted by jeff70
      The Borla Turbo mufflers give off a lot of drone, I know from personal experince. And I have since changed to the Dyno Max and its pretty much gone.
      Which Dyno Max are you running? I do like the Super Turbos. According to the Dynomax site though, I would have to run a 3 inch muffler if I want to get above 350 HP. My main concern is larger exhaust systems are loader. It seams counter productive.

maybe single...

2.5" duals are good for a good a mount of power... like 450+
      The Gutless Cutlass, is no more.
      '73 Chevy C10, Low with lots of GO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
      maybe single...

2.5" duals are good for a good a mount of power... like 450+
      According to the Dynomax catalog, dual 2.5 inch super turbos are good for 350 lose free HP. Their straight Through designs are good for 500+ HP.

Finally decided on the 18 inch Magnaflows and Pypes X-Pipe. Definitely quieted things down. Much lower, deeper tone. Sounds pretty good. Standing at the front off the car, the engine is pretty quiet. you can whisper to the person next to you. There is a definite rumble at the back of the car though. No sesonation inside the car.

glad to hear it worked out for ya.
      the real question hows the wife feel?
      AJ
      1970 camaro rs, z28:pro-touring?... i wish
      93 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by skatinjay27 View Post
      glad to hear it worked out for ya.
      the real question hows the wife feel?
      She is happier, but I'll still convincing her it is as quiet as it gets without putting a second muffler/resonater in. I don't want to do that. It is definitely quieter though.

Your exhaust should quiet down if you use it to spool-up a turbocharger!

Not to hijack, but I had an idea along these lines that I'd like to get some input on.

I was hoping there would be a cost effective way to add a vacuum activated dump that would go between a set of dual mufflers and a single crossflow. In other words, under normal engine loads the exhaust would go through both dual mufflers and then through a third muffler. Then when the vacuum in front of the last muffler reaches 4psi, a valve opens in the exhaust which dumps it straight out a 2nd set of tailpipes mounted directly to the dual muffler setup, therefore bypassing the last muffler. That way, under normal driving, quiet as a mouse, then "normal" musclecar sound under full throttle.

This would possibly also improve low end torque since it allows more backpressure under low engine speed conditions. Similar to an drive-by-wire throttlebody, where under WOT at low engine speed, the throttle is not fully open to achieve even better torque than it would if it were fully open at those speeds. However instead of using computer control like it is on an intake, just use pressure as a direct control method.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

From what I have read back pressure doesn't help.
      http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com