Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I'd like to remind you that even though those cars have stock bodywork, they can shift weight internally to help keep the car on the ground. So if front lift was an issue, they could place weight up front to counter it. I'm not saying this Camaro did do this, I have no knowledge of that car, but I've been to Bonneville speed week and seen many that did. Some have no radiator and use a water tank onboard. Many had extra weight up front.

Bonneville 2004 pics by me.

Note this Camaro has a tank in the passenger compartment that has two braided hoses connecting to the radiator lower hose area. I believe the radiator has to be in place but does not have to be functioning. I saw one car with an intake cool air duct running right through the core! Engine is set back to aid rear traction which must be poor with no spoiler and narrow tires.

Name:  IMG_0449.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  92.9 KBName:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  70.3 KBName:  IMG_0442.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  84.3 KBName:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  55.2 KB
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 10-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Three Second gens. Didn't get as many pics of them
      Name:  IMG_0460.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  61.1 KBName:  IMG_0471.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  62.1 KBName:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  54.0 KB
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      Check out the BC Racing Salt car, with the Classic Gas Coupe record. No body mods allowed except for the front spoiler. This Red 79 went 277 mph on the GPS out the back door on it's record run. Aero has not been the problem so far... but there has to be an aero wall there somewhere. Getting power down is the biggest issue so far. This is one bas a$$ hot rod.
      The question really is... how much power is being used to overcome the current drag? There is a limit but it could probably be mitigated with a front spoiler that creates vorticies to seal off the areas under the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by HellPhish89 View Post
      The question really is... how much power is being used to overcome the current drag? There is a limit but it could probably be mitigated with a front spoiler that creates vorticies to seal off the areas under the doors.
      All of it. That's how much. If there was no resistance, the only limitation would be RPM and gear ratio.
      HWYSTR455 on PY
      1971 Lemans Sport 461 bottle fed daily driver
      1971 Trans Am 474 blown EFI pro tour car
      1972 442 W-30 clone

There are a number of ways to improve the "aero" depending on what you want to do with the car.The SCCA and IMSA race cars or the era are the most extreme with the wing and front spoiler .On mine I added the front spoiler from an IMSA car the rear factory "flairs" from a1979-81 Trans Am the rear front from a 1981 Z-28 .And the cowl hood design from a 1969 Camaro. There are those who modified the factory 1979-81 front spoiler with a "splitter" .Then there are the earlier cars like the 1973 Camaro by the Roadster Shop called "Rampage "for reference .There are a number of HP books dealing on the subject.Good luck to you on what ever you do.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com