Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      If I added everything up, including the purchase price, two sets of wheels, all the tires, multiple engine builds (one EFI), and two (new) aftermarket transmissions . . . there's still less than $20k in it since 1979. Except for things like engine machining work, windshield replacement, and a couple of repairs required when on the road, it's all DIY. Suspension is lightly modified, paint is original scheme.

Front 7/8 view HERE

Norm
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

I think I'm in mine around 20k but It's complicated... I originally bought it 24yrs ago for 1900, spent 1000 on paint, 23 yrs ago... maybe 2500 on interior and engine mods 23yrs ago… sold it for $4000, a year later bought it back from the girl for $2000 with a blown engine. That was done after a fight with her boyfriend. She told me she forgot to shift it out of first and was going almost 90 when it let go. Her loss, my gain. It sat in my garage for a few years until I moved up to NASCAR LMS from street stock and then dropped the old street stock engine in it. I think I had around $2000 in that engine. I again had to sell it because of my racing… mom and dad were tired of me borrowing their pick-up to haul the race car. I traded it in at the local Chevy dealership towards a new Chevy pick-up. I got $4500 for it then. (1991) I tried to buy it back over the years but the owner wouldn’t sell it to me. He was saving it for his grandson’s HS graduation. After the grandson got it I met up with him, and he gladly showed the car to me, and let me start it up. It still sounded good. I think it had less than 500 miles on it since I sold it, and it was stored inside all those years (12 yrs). I bought it back for $8000 because the grandson didn’t like it. He wanted a 66 Chevelle. Since then I put some Brodix heads left over from my racing days on it($1000), I think the front suspension package was around $6000, and the G-bar was $2000? I’m getting old so I might be off on some of the numbers. My sig has the pic of what it looked like 23yrs ago...
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro..getting closer to being done..I think
      1994 Camaro... Future N.A.S.A racer... maybe
      Victory Circle South West Tour race car (SCCA)
      2006 SS Trailbrazer (Wifes)
      2007 LTZ Chev Silverado 4x4 with the sports suspension package

Greg is my other name...

Web page..
      http://www.youtube.com/user/itlbtu?feature=mhee

Wow, ITLBTU! Sold and bought back twice? That's cool!

I'm at about $8k on my car. It's not a 1st Gen, and that helps alot.

I've put it together over the last 2 years using some nice aftermarket pieces (control arms, leaf springs, engine pieces) and some oem upgrades (12" 1LE disc upgrade, 11" rear drum upgrade, stiffer springs).

It's not a world-beater, just a nice, solid performer. Good luck with your project.

J.R. Hello and Thanks for the post. I often feel in the minority here and on other sites. I am on a SUB 30k Bidget myself. That is 25K with 20% allotment for overages.
      I believe you can build one hell of a car for that. (I am building a 67 Camaro). I believe that have a plan and a budget and sticking to the both is the key. Granted this type of budget eliminates the possability of a 10 of 20K paint job. I am more then OK with that. It also will not provide for having the latest of hottest products. It will however allow me to build a car capiable of holding its own agianst some of the 60k rides here. Good luck to you and all on their builds

I will have a little under $30k when my '71 is complete. It has been such a long project that I have changed my mind and reworked many of the completed upgrades. My guess is that I could have saved at least 25% in the total cost had I had a better idea what I wanted and did not try to piece meal it over time.
      Brent

1971 Camaro, LT1, 4L60E

I got about $18,000 in my car now.
      It's nowhere near finished.
      I need to restore the body/paint.
      But , maybe I can keep it under 30k.
      I'm all for under 30k !
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

My goal is the Under $5000 category with the $750 purchase price. I'm making use of a lot of salvage yard parts and doing everything myself from chassis to upholstery. Even building my own EFI. It will probably look like I did it myself but I don't mind.

The term "Joe Touring" is getting thrown around for these type of cars. ScotI came up with it on Lateral-G I think he is a member here too under the same name. Don't get me wrong I love the mega dollar pro built cars but a well owner built car in his own shop or garage and a working mans paycheck is it in my book.

Well then, here's to Joe-Touring!
      The few, the proud, the crazy... the LT1 owners.

MAN this sucks, I have just hit over 30K with the purchase of 2K back in 1999, I guess i can say that iam in the 30k clue for now LOL but i hope to stay under 40K so i could be in the 30's but who knows, they all look like great cars that you guys have and for the money very nice. this is the last pic that i have of the car right now but have done some more work to since. 2002 Ls1-t56 with a few goodies, moser 12 bolts, forgeline wheels, hotckis kit and qa1 fronts,c6 Z06 brake front and rear and so on, but you know its just money!!!!!!!!! YA RIGHT

And this is the next project i have about 1700 in it right now and hope to stay under 5K and have a nice driver no pro-touring for now. just a car to drive around until the camaro is done, yes it runs and drives LOL

I am looking at trying to do exactly this. For those of you that have completed a build under $30k, what do you think the key to keeping costs down? Unfortunately, most of the cars I like are the more $$ ones (ie mopars, mustang fastbacks, and first gen camaros), but I figured the best course of action is to find one with the cleanest body I can and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 69LT1Nova
      Well then, here's to Joe-Touring!
      I can raise one to that!

Quote Originally Posted by blown9746
      I am looking at trying to do exactly this. For those of you that have completed a build under $30k, what do you think the key to keeping costs down? .
      I have built quite a few cars. The #1 thing is to set a goal and a buget then stick to it. Sounds simple and it is. Plan everything up front and move things around on the list until the break even point is hit. What normall happens is you find thier are things that you thought you had to have cause they are so "sick" that you really didnt need when you realise how much they cost and what you have to sacarafice to get it. If after that you still have to have then then get it!
      Dont suscribe to all the Hype. If you do you will go over buget. Dont look @ the Pro cars that are in one way of the other just marketing tools.

For those of you that have completed a build under $30k, what do you think the key to keeping costs down?

Buy the parts you really want, even if it takes 2x or 3x as long to afford them. If you cop out on the stuff that really matters to you, you will always have a sour taste in your mouth about it. Buying the stuff you really care about will make you love your car so much more. This hobby is for carving corners, not cutting them!
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Under 10k club checking in although the $250.00 dollar price of a solid base car helped out HUGE.

I am looking at trying to do exactly this. For those of you that have completed a build under $30k, what do you think the key to keeping costs down? Unfortunately, most of the cars I like are the more $$ ones (ie mopars, mustang fastbacks, and first gen camaros), but I figured the best course of action is to find one with the cleanest body I can and go from there.
      Buy a clean car to begin with that has all it's original parts - not a basket case. Do all the work yourself. Teach yourself how to weld (or take college welding classes like I did). Do your own engine build, or beter yet, find one in a running wrecked car for cheap and snag the transmission/wiring/accessories while you're there. Do your own body and paint work - that will save you HUGE $$.

Most of all, take your time and do it right. When you get into a rush is when mistakes happen, or you end up spending more money than you need to. Research a lot for the best products at the lowest price.

Be penny wise but not pound foolish. Used parts and second hand parts are a good thing, but abused parts can make you tear your hair out.
      The few, the proud, the crazy... the LT1 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
      I have less than 5 grand in my car.

One of my favorite cars on the site!

On my Nova I'm aiming for not over $10k. Hotchkis TVS, Wilwood, forgeline wheels. Just have to finish the interior. When I bought it, the previous owner just spent his money on the paint which looks great.
      70' Nova

Quote Originally Posted by 69LT1Nova
      Buy a clean car to begin with that has all it's original parts - not a basket case. Do all the work yourself. Teach yourself how to weld (or take college welding classes like I did). Do your own engine build, or beter yet, find one in a running wrecked car for cheap and snag the transmission/wiring/accessories while you're there. Do your own body and paint work - that will save you HUGE $$.

Most of all, take your time and do it right. When you get into a rush is when mistakes happen, or you end up spending more money than you need to. Research a lot for the best products at the lowest price.

Be penny wise but not pound foolish. Used parts and second hand parts are a good thing, but abused parts can make you tear your hair out.

Well put! but let's not forget PATIENCE!! of which it will take a lot of....

WELL into the 6 digit #s..

but id like to tell you guys, good job on your endeavors!

I should come in under $30k. 69 Firebird T/A clone with stock LS1/4L60E, Art Morrison subframe, G-Bar, Rick's tank, C5/LS1 brakes, Vintage Air. Did all the body work myself - rear quarters, rockers, roof, door skin, outer wheel housings, floors etc. I also plan to paint it myself. The trick to staying under $30k is to avoid bling and do as much work yourself as you possibly can. Don't spend $5k on wheels and tires before the car is completed. This is the approach I have taken. I'm sure it won't compare to a $60k car but I just don't have that kind of money to spend.

Spend time researching on this site and others. You can save a lot learning from the experience of others. Ask questions before you buy instead of after.

Don

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com