Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States

Not what I said or implied about using a HF bender.

Quote Originally Posted by BAILEIGH INC View Post
      The Harbor freight bender is for pipe, not tube. I would NOT want a cage made from schedule 40 pipe.
      All I did was direct to a site that showed an alternative way to inexpensively bend tubing without kinking, or using heat. It IS noted in my post that a die needs to be fitted closely to the TUBING size by grinding (or other means). Not everyone can, or wants to, spend the amount of money on the fine quality benders your company provides. Nothing was said about using schedule 40 PIPE for a 'cage.
      Sorry if that came across in my post.

Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Excellent thinking, Jim.

That's what I did when I converted my rollbar in the Malibu into a full 14 Pt 'cage. For the guy who is not going to do lot of outside work, this is probably the cheapest way to go, but one has to WAIT for parts, haha. This is extremely hard for me, especially when I get the urge to do something. The funny thing is, I'll spend 8 hours building a tool or jig, for a job that may only take an hour or two once I get the tool done. Guess I just like building stuff. Here's an example: Axle Narrowing Jig. Cost like $15 for materials in the discard pile at the metal yard and lots of time on the drill press and brake lathe( yes, I used the brake lathe at work to turn the bearing adapters after drilling the centerholes on my drill press).
      Last edited by rixtrix1; 09-18-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: more info.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.

Quote Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
      All I did was direct to a site that showed an alternative way to inexpensively bend tubing without kinking, or using heat. It IS noted in my post that a die needs to be fitted closely to the TUBING size by grinding (or other means). Not everyone can, or wants to, spend the amount of money on the fine quality benders your company provides. Nothing was said about using schedule 40 PIPE for a 'cage.
      Sorry if that came across in my post.
      No worries.....your input is appreciated. Didn't mean to sound abrasive.

I agree with you, there are plenty of ways to bend tube for one off jobs without investing a ton of money in a machine. I have a genuine appreciation for the"home fabricator" like yourself that does things with home made tools.

Old thread: new post

Quote Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
      That's what I did when I converted my rollbar in the Malibu into a full 14 Pt 'cage. For the guy who is not going to do lot of outside work, this is probably the cheapest way to go, but one has to WAIT for parts, haha. This is extremely hard for me, especially when I get the urge to do something. The funny thing is, I'll spend 8 hours building a tool or jig, for a job that may only take an hour or two once I get the tool done. Guess I just like building stuff. Here's an example: Axle Narrowing Jig. Cost like $15 for materials in the discard pile at the metal yard and lots of time on the drill press and brake lathe( yes, I used the brake lathe at work to turn the bearing adapters after drilling the centerholes on my drill press).
      Downloaded plans for a Pro-Tools HMP-200 tubing bender years ago and just got around to making my version mostly using materials I had in the garage, drill press, chopsaw, Lincoln SP-175 Plus MIG welder and the brake lathe at work. Trying to make my own die, too. Since I'm changing my Malibu from a drag car to a track vehicle, I need to change the cage to fit those rules, from 1-5/8"x .134 ERW to 1-3/4"x .120 DOM. I'm about 90% done turning the main die , 1.75" x 6" CLR. So far I'm into it for $108.

Name:  03315951.jpg
Views: 6978
Size:  66.7 KBName:  03315959.jpg
Views: 6826
Size:  62.3 KBName:  My homemade tubing bender 001.JPG
Views: 36529
Size:  169.7 KB
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.

Name:  IMG_0023.JPG
Views: 17453
Size:  80.0 KBName:  IMG_0024.JPG
Views: 29896
Size:  87.1 KB
      Here's the finished bender. Works great, even with a manual bottle jack. Will have to get an air/hydraulic one from HF while they're still on sale. Total cost: $184.
      Last edited by rixtrix1; 04-24-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Insert pics
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.

Hey Ric, I've been scouring the internets for DIY benders, and yours is really simple and elegant. Nice work! I like the exposed die on top...

I was hoping for some feedback now that it's been a while- how did it hold up to 1.75, and anything you'd change?

It looks like with a few more holes in the die, you could re-pin and do 180*?

Thanks,

Patrick

I know this is an older thread but have you guys heard of The Fabricator on youtube. This guy makes some incredible roll cage structures with very simple tools and makes it look so easy. He also does a great job of explaining the process in his videos.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com