Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast
      i still think the first is the BEST!!!
      the gloss two tone with the dark red and flat all black wheels look so evil!!!!

AJ
      1970 camaro rs, z28:pro-touring?... i wish
      93 trans am

that is one badass bug!

good to see another VW guy in here too.

Wow this is awesome. Definitely go with the black rims, the 5S look out of place to me.

This thing is sick! I love it!
      Nate Kauffman

"She sips nitro with phase 4 heads, 600 horsepower through the wheels, shes meanness set to music and the bitch was born to run." Mad Max

Love it. Very cool project.

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Country Flag: United States
      Since I am using new length control arms, 3" wider fenders, MUCH wider wheels, and MUCH wider tires on the front of the car I located a "fitment" tool tonight. Proper wheel backspacing, tire width, and their associated clearances will be critical to figure correctly the FIRST time...

I just ordered this from Jeg's. There were two pictures on their site showing a plastic piece in the first picture and a steel piece in the second picture... I don't know which one I'll receive but either one should work just fine! Pretty cool tool for $90 bucks!

Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Here are the new front fenders, rear fenders, and running boards I ordered last week... The front fenders are 3" wider-than-stock and rear fenders are 4-1/2" wider-than stock... I already had 3" wider-than-stock rear fenders but I had to purchase the wider rear fenders to keep the proper flow from front to rear. This is the only example pics I have of them on a car. This is actually a older model bug with the older-style headlamp buckets and tail lights... Mine are more modern looking and with my paint scheme the headlamp trim rings will be painted to match the fender color and continue with the "de-chromed", sinister look...

Other than the chopped top this will be the new look for my bug... It gives you a good idea of how low and wide the car should look...

My bug is a Super Beetle so the hood is actually wider than this bug's by a couple inches which should make it look even wider...
      Ray

Dude you'll have the sickest bug i have ever seen thats for sure.

I too am voting for the first chop done of your car red black two tone, with the all black wheels.
      Chris Smock aka Blazed67
      1967 Firebird Convertible- Tough Luck- never ending
      2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T- the new DD
      2006 Suzuki SV1000R- greatly missed

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Quote Originally Posted by 454bug
      Since I am using new length control arms, 3" wider fenders, MUCH wider wheels, and MUCH wider tires I located a "fitment" tool tonight. Proper wheel backspacing, tire width, and their associated clearances will be critical to figure correctly the FIRST time...

I just ordered this from Jeg's. There were two pictures on their site showing a plastic piece in the first picture and a steel piece in the second picture... I don't know which one I'll receive but either one should work just fine! Pretty cool tool for $90 bucks!

Don't have too high hopes, I have the same tool and it's not worth 90$. It's a pos plastic tool, flexy as hell and the "tire circumference" is a piece of coat hanger wire. What a joke. IMO shouldn't cost more than 20$

Yeah, I got mine in and, needless to say, I wasn't impressed! Hopefully it will do the job. It is flimsy but if I take my time and get the dimensions I am looking for I should be okay. At $100, including shipping, the guy must have about 1000% markup on the "cost of materials"!!! I guess I am paying for all the "R&D" that went into the engineering of the piece...

When my fenders come in I will be able to put it to the test.
      Ray

Those wide fenders are going to be cool.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

cant wait

i just thought i'd throw this idea out there... maybe a carrera rs-esque paint scheme with the side stripe.. and maybe instead of carrera it could read "beetle rs" or "582 RS" or "bad bug"... you get the idea.

i figured you might be pretty set on the current photoshop, but other ideas and thoughts cant hurt! i kinda thought since you were planning on racing it, a more race inspired paint scheme might be kinda cool!

either way, i want updates!

Quote Originally Posted by ill steez
      i just thought i'd throw this idea out there... maybe a carrera rs-esque paint scheme with the side stripe.. and maybe instead of carrera it could read "beetle rs" or "582 RS" or "bad bug"... you get the idea.

i figured you might be pretty set on the current photoshop, but other ideas and thoughts cant hurt! i kinda thought since you were planning on racing it, a more race inspired paint scheme might be kinda cool!

either way, i want updates!
      That's some great ideas on the Porcshe paint schemes! I really like the blacked out orange GT3. That "de-chromed" look is what I am shooting for. Back in the early 1990's I had a '67 Chevy II with a 454 that was painted "medium blue" and I dreamed of painting it one of the Flourescent colors that were really cool back then... either orange (like the GT3) or lime green!!

To be honest, there are SO many things to do to the car prior to paint I haven't spent much time recently thinking about it...
      Ray

I have been making headway on the project. A lot of parts have been ordered. Waiting on them.

On a custom project like this when you make ONE change, it sometimes creates MORE problems!!

Since I will be running the car on road courses and competing in autocrosses I needed to create the lowest Center of Gravity as possible. Therefore, we removed the existing motor mounts and mounting pads from the frame rails. This is a picture of the existing motor mount pads.

Ray

These are the new Speedway Motors motor mounts I'll be using.

Ray

We were able to drop the entire engine/trans combo 2" lower. That should really help the center of gravity... But... That created a few NEW problems! Now, the stock Hooker "Competition" Headers for a '67-'69 Camaro no longer work! The front pipe on the driver's side now hits the upper control arm in the back (just a little) and also the collectors are WAY too low to the ground...

Therefore, we came up with two solutions! First we have located a local guy that builds headers from scratch for about $600. Secondly, since we need just a slight increase in height to clear the back of the upper control arm I am taking the opportunity to graduate to the "Tall Deck" Big Block Chevy block. It has a 0.400" taller deck height. Between that and the custom headers we should be good to go...

With the use of the BBC Tall Deck instead of the Standard Deck I won't be buying a 582 cubic inch short block. Instead, I will be ordering a 598 cubic inch aluminum short block! I guess I can handle an additional 20 hp!!! (870 hp vs. 850 hp on PUMP gas)...

This thing should be wicked...

One more thing... With the standard 468 cubic inch motor the rotating assembly was externally balanced. Therefore, you have to run a "weighted" flexplate as well as a larger, 8" diameter harmonic balancer... With the lowering of the motor by 3" the harmonic balancer came in contact with the new crossmember right on the back edge. The drivetrain is set back really far in the car (for great front/rear weight distribution) but just not enough to clear the balancer. Luckily, all the bored and stroked kits for the BBC are internally balanced. When these rotating assemblies are used you don't have to run the larger 8" balancer. You run a smaller 6"-7" diameter harmonic balancer. Either one of these will clear the crossmember just fine. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
      Ray

I have a buddy's Tall Deck spare block that we will be fabbing up with this weekend. We will be welding in the new motor and trans mounting pads.

I'll post pics as we do the work.
      Ray

Holy crud this thing is going to be one hell of a ride! 870hp in a small car like this! I want to take a ride!

dude this is so crazy i love it. what are your plans for the interior, with what you doing to the outside it need to be something good.
      1972 Camaro ( my retirement money hole )
      1985 GMC ( future plan pro tour build for the wife )
      1992 Isuzu pup bagged, bodydrop, shaved everything
      2013 GMC Single cab 4/7 drop

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com