Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      dennis68 Guest
      Just got back from Anaheim and kinda paid attention from Buttonwillow back home.....lots of nothing. Crossing my fingers all goes well.

Country Flag: United States
      Hey did you see the bunnies that hang out on the side of hwy 5? creepy!
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

dennis68 Guest
      Nope, but CHP is real good at hiding in plain sight sitting sideways in the tall grass of the median. Take it easy on the way down boys, I've never had a problem before but they scooped up a few guys that I saw. They came out of nowhere and all of the sudden the mirror was red&blue.

Registration is open!!

Ladies and gentle dudes, the registration for April 15th event is open. Start signing up!

https://www.speedventures.net/event_select.asp

Be sure to cough up extra $20 to rent a transponder, unless you have your own AMB transponder or a Hot Lap timer.
      The first step of becoming a better driver is to attend a track event, time yourself, and realize the fact you really suck.

Signed,
      A driver who laps Big Willow at 1:42.6 in a 134hp BMW - and I am still considered mediocre.

I just signed up. Hope there is still interest in this event.

Alcino

I registered when I posted the link above. Just need to get my car running in time I got carried away and am doing more stuff than I should have.
      The first step of becoming a better driver is to attend a track event, time yourself, and realize the fact you really suck.

Signed,
      A driver who laps Big Willow at 1:42.6 in a 134hp BMW - and I am still considered mediocre.

I may be able to make the April 15th event. I'll let you know when I get back from the Pontiac Heaven Drags & More on the 3rd/4th of April.

My goodness! JonB is alive!!

Staying busy, huh?

Signed,

Yeah, I've been super busy. We had a software release that ended up going a couple months beyond schedule so I was putting in 12-14 hour days trying to catch up. Didn't you see my thread in the Project Updates area?

I just FINALLY got the Firebird put back together last week. April 11th is my last day at my current job so by the 15th I should be plenty bored and looking for stuff to do.

So you're moving to SoCal?

Guess I missed that thread. Your new toy looks like it'll be a fun race car.

Yup, I'm moving to SoCal this summer. The job will be in San Diego area, but I'll try to find a place a little further inland. I can finally kiss good bye to NW weather!

Signed,

Heh. We could be neighbors! I'm in Ramona, which is northeast of San Diego (where I work).

It's been pretty wet down here this year though. Had about 3 sunny weekends ALL year. At least things are turning green again after the fire.

Jon! Dude! We are neighbors! I live in Carlsbad, I used to work over in RB. Small world. I am working my tail off to get the car set, all I have to do is to make a custom mounting bracket for the new Alcon calipers, align the car front and rear, design, bend, and install roll cage, install rear firewall (fuel cell in trunk now), finish tuning the motor. Heck, no sweat, right? Sheesh!

Mark

Hey, if you ever want some help, or someone to offer moral support, let me know. Hanging around other people's projects is always way less stressful than beating my head against my own.

As for my project: one word: ARGH! Last night I attempted to dial in the brake bias but there's something REALLY wrong as the rear brakes are locking up way too easily (I suspect a bad master cylinder or adjustable proportioning valve). Of course, while installing my brake pressure gauge in one of the front calipers I screwed up the bleeder adapter, so I spent a couple hours today trying to find a replacement. I also ordered a replacement MC and PV. All of this stuff should be here tomorrow, after which I can install it and HOPEFULLY I'll be able to stop without killing myself (locking the rears at high speed is, uh, scary). Otherwise I'll probably have to swap out the rear calipers for ones with smaller pistons, which is just MORE time and MORE money and MORE frustration. grrr.

Oh, gee, another guy with brake issues! What are the piston areas front/rear, what M/C are you running, and do you have a booster? having been down the "what the heck is going on with my brakes and why don't they work like I want them to?" boogie. There is a pretty straightforward front to rear piston area ratio (got the goodies from an old Tilton article). Drop me a line if you want some more info. Or better yet, bring the car over to my new shop, and we can sit and stare at the darned cars together! Maybe we can make one good car with the two of them?

Mark

Piston diameter is 1.75" front AND rear. Both are four piston Wilwood units (oldish Superlite IIs front, Dynalites rear).

I'm using a GM style (cast iron) 1 1/8" bore master cylinder, with a Hydratech hydroboost unit.

No stock distribution valve, Wilwood knob type adjustable proportioning valve on the rears.

The smallest piston size available in a Dynalite caliper is 1.38" (they also offer a 1.62" piston). I have to kind of wonder what Wilwood was thinking putting a piston that big in a rear brake kit. I originally misread the rotor width (0.81") as the piston diameter, but now that I've realized the front and rear are same size it's pretty obvious I'm going to have to swap calipers.

I keep telling myself that if this was easy everyone would do it. One day I might believe myself ;)

The Tilton guideline I have basically says go with about half the rear effective piston diameter as you have in the front, as a start. With the piston sizes you have, the prop valve will never pull down enough pressure to balance things out, you will pretty much always have a rear brake tendancy. You could swap the fronts out? Probably easiest to find a good twin piston (or single piston floating) rear caliper. For reference, the Alcon's I have net a piston area of 4.67 in2, and the rear floating PBR single pots are 1.94 in2. The guys at Hoerr also stated that almost all cars have too much rear brake. Not what you wanted to hear, I suspect...

Mark

Jon,

Call up Wilwood if you got 1.75" calipers in their rear brake kit and have them swap the calipers. Rear kits with 0.810" rotors are supposed to come with 1.38" Dynalites.

I have new style 1.75" SuperLite up front, 1.38" Dynalite rear, and the same adjustable PV. Rotors are 13" and 12". Even with 57% weight on nose, there's enough adjustment in PV to balance out the system.

Signed,

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Racer
      Yup, very true. I will get really screwed if my car breaks down 1200 miles from home, but I like living on the edge LOL.

Dare devil Katz
      Actually my friend in Kerman has a trailer so I'll bribe him in case of a trouble.
      I have AAA super gold filled platinum account.. they will tow my sorry ass up to 150 miles for free.. on a flatbed

I might be able to make the April 15th event with the 68.. would be a good place to learn the cars capabilities..

Anyone make R compound tires in a 335 width???
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Racer
      Guess I missed that thread. Your new toy looks like it'll be a fun race car.

Yup, I'm moving to SoCal this summer. The job will be in San Diego area, but I'll try to find a place a little further inland. I can finally kiss good bye to NW weather!
      Good, then you will closer to me and I can bribe you with beer and pizza to help me work the bugs out of the new 68.. I'm not up to date on tweaking a Mustang II suspension
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Given that I do 2000+mile road trips in my Riv at least a couple of times a year, I probably should join AAA.

As for tires, search and you shall find...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp

We can tweak MII IFS. But if you can wait, you'll be able to get a race-ready subframe in a year or so.

Signed,

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com