Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

How did you smooth your firewall?

Looking for input on how you guys smoothed your firewalls. I do NOT want a DSE plate (unless someone can show me how to remove the seam it leaves)

Im thinking just make a template from cardboard then cut out some sheetmetal and plug weld it in. After that cut out the holes I need for everything. Will this work or will it rattle against the old firewall?

Hmmm what did you guys do to get the perfectly smooth firewalls I see?
      John S.

68 "Bloodline" Camaro in assembly...

Speedtech Sub, Alston G-Billet/Fab 9 rear, Ridetech coil overs, Moser axles, Fesler 19's, Lots of Anvil parts,Twin tubo LS3/T56, Carbon fiber manifold, and the list goes on and on..........

Good luck with this one!!!! I have asked this question a couple of times in different ways and only got one answer from Steve1968. If i remember correctly he made it out of sheetmetal and bonded it on with a special type of glue. Chris

bondo man...gosh it fixes everything...just get a shovel and start throwing it on...i hear its what ALL the pros do... Chip started it...yuppp

lol actually i am very curious to see as well
      Colin Russ

I think this would be a great application for a glue like 3M Panel Bond. The only trick would be to filling the perimeter seam... maybe a 'glass based filler and then traditional plastic over it. Welding it nice 'cause you can grind the seam, but it's a lot of heat and grinding! The Panel Bond has no heat / warpage issues.
      Kevin Oeste
      V8 Speed and Resto Shop
      V8TV
      Muscle Car Of The Week
      V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
      https://www.v8speedshop.com

I welded up the seam that goes all the way across the firewall and all of the holes that were not going to be used, ground the welds down and pounded out any dents / indentations, then smoothed it with a thin layer of mud. It came out absolutely straight and no problems at all.
      Steve Martin
      67 Camaro RS
      66 Chevelle

I bought a piece of alum off ebay that was cut out for the 68 camaro and I siliconed all the small holes and a heavy bead all around the edges and I tec screwed it to the firewall but I think I should have used rivets instead then use seam sealer to fill the edges the guy had these panels with or without the hole for the wiper motor heres a pic before it was painted I cant resize the pics of it when it was finished painted I just dont know how
      Attached Images Attached Images  

How I did my firewall on my nova was cut out a sheet metal patch for the heater box and wiper motor and weld them in and remove all the sealer on the firewall seam and ground the seam down and solid welded it all the way across,Then I ground the firewall down and put a coat of duraglass across the complet firewall and sanded it down and finished it of witha couple coats of body filler and then blocked and primered it 2 time to make sure it was straight.And finally I final sanded the firewall with 400 wet and sealed and painted the firewall and cleared it and the next day I wet sanded and buffed it out.Yes it took a lot of time and effort but it has held up for 11 years now.

Country Flag: Canada
      We did it the "old fashioned way" on the OLC car - cut out the opening for the heater, welded in a new panel; cut, patched and shaped the firewall a bit on the drivers side, leaded the factory seam, then heated/shrunk the firewall until it was perfectish.

I'm happy with the result:

James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Actually, I prefer not seeing the factory seam. So I used 2 pieces of 16 gauge scrap metal (cost was about $12) and made a new firewall that won't have the factory seam. The fuse box will also be hidden, so you won't see the wires. Anyway, here is a few progress photos at the link below.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15671

Initially we was going to tack the sides in, but my friend thought I would prefer it to be welded in solid.

Here is a photo of the finished product.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

we just replaced the whole thing..

I traced the dse plate cut out where the edges were and made it fit flat. You still have the stock upper seam, but the rest of it is flat. I saw someone else on the board do it that way it looks pretty good. The inside doesn't look as good but the VA unit covers all that up

Try www.directsheetmetal.com they have a smooth weld in firewall for a 67-69 camaro part#cv274 it did not have a price.

heres a pic of mine I finally got it to resize

I cut pieces of sheet metal and welded it in bigger openings and filled small holes. Then did a light coat of bondo.

Sam
      Northern UT.
      '68 Camaro "Bodacious"
      '56 210 2dr "Buckshot"

we use 16 ga sheet, and cut a new peice for the entire firewall, with or without wiper hole, it smooths entire firewall but keeps the original wire harness hole, m/c hole area etc, works very nice, done it on a few cars, we weld the upper seam to firewall about 1/8th down, weld across the bottom up around steering column area, then panel bond with fusor structual glue the outer tulip panels areas, you do not want to glue the entire panel as the top semas will ghost line, crack over time. we will have these ready for shipping in 3 weeks.

price

Hotrdbldr,
      How much do they run?
      John S.

68 "Bloodline" Camaro in assembly...

Speedtech Sub, Alston G-Billet/Fab 9 rear, Ridetech coil overs, Moser axles, Fesler 19's, Lots of Anvil parts,Twin tubo LS3/T56, Carbon fiber manifold, and the list goes on and on..........

Quote Originally Posted by xp537
      I bought a piece of alum off ebay that was cut out for the 68 camaro and I siliconed all the small holes and a heavy bead all around the edges and I tec screwed it to the firewall but I think I should have used rivets instead then use seam sealer to fill the edges the guy had these panels with or without the hole for the wiper motor heres a pic before it was painted I cant resize the pics of it when it was finished painted I just dont know how

Fire > aluminum =
      -Ed Nelson

1967 Firebird.......
      1970 Corvette. -Sold

Country Flag: China
      Has anyone used the smooth firewall piece from Direct Sheetmetal? All the way at the bottom of this link . . . http://www.directsheetmetal.net/pages/chevy.html
      Saw this piece advertised in Chevy Rumble. Looks like a good start for a DIYer. Retail price is $420 on page 4 of their pricelist - http://www.directsheetmetal.net/grap.../PRICE%204.pdf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com