Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Holley Electric Fuel Pump Making Weird Noise

I have a Holley HP150 fuel pump. It's running to an Aeromotive Regulator and then to a Holley 750 Carb.

Sometimes the fuel pump sounds normal when it's running and then sometimes it makes a weird sound like it's having a hard time pumping the fuel... It sounds like "waaah waaaahhhh waaaahhh waaahhh".

Anyone experience this or know why it's doing this? Sure doesn't sound right to me.

Are you running a dead head reg?
      I have seen them if they run for a bit the pump/fuel will heat up and even bog down when used without a bypass style reg.

Also I suggest running a larger inlet line to the pump than the outlet side so that it wont cavitate the pump.

I run a -12 line/filter to the Aeromotive A1000 pump and then a -10 line/filter to a bypass style reg. with dual -6 line to the 1195 king demon dominator

It's a non return reg. Is this noise/problem bad for the pump? It sounds like hell.

I called Holley and they said to return the fuel pump so I have summitracing sending me a new pump. I'm wondering now... Maybe the next pump will do the same thing.

Here is what I am running...
      -10 from tank -> filter -> fuel pump inlet.
      -8 from fuel pump outlet -> OEM hard line -> -10 to reg -> -6 -> 750 carb

--

1195 king demon - LOL! Got' Damn - What size motor you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Schulz
      Are you running a dead head reg?
      I have seen them if they run for a bit the pump/fuel will heat up and even bog down when used without a bypass style reg.

Also I suggest running a larger inlet line to the pump than the outlet side so that it wont cavitate the pump.

I run a -12 line/filter to the Aeromotive A1000 pump and then a -10 line/filter to a bypass style reg. with dual -6 line to the 1195 king demon dominator

Hehehe. engine size is a 598 tall deck;) 4.600 bore x 4.500 stroke

I ran the holley blue,and then black pumps and they seemed to die after about 6months to 1 year of of street driving on my old 468 I had with a non return style. I had better luck with a return style and so have most of my friends.

598... Whew... Maybe when I blow this one apart I can get something like that... LOL!

Hmm... The HP150 pump doesn't have a return... :\

Hehehe. engine size is a 598 tall deck;) 4.600 bore x 4.500 stroke

I ran the holley blue,and then black pumps and they seemed to die after about 6months to 1 year of of street driving on my old 468 I had with a non return style. I had better luck with a return style and so have most of my friends.

Use any pump you like just get a reg with a return and run a extra fuel line from the return style reg to the tank.

Hmmm... How can I tap the tank with a fitting? I think some of the later model Camaro fuel sending units have a return fitting. I just gotta figure out which one fits the 67 tank and buy one of those.

Use any pump you like just get a reg with a return and run a extra fuel line from the return style reg to the tank.

You could drop the tank and have a shop install a fitting. (unless you know how to weld gas tanks dont try it...gas vapor can ignite even with the tank drained).

Or do a bulkhead like some fuel cells have.

Bulkhead looks like the easiest method. Thanks.

What regulator are you using? I like the Aeromotive regs but all the bypass regs they make have a 1:1 boost reference port on them. I am assuming this port is for turbo applications??

To run braided line all the way back to the tank that's gonna throw another $170 in the mix... Geeeeeeeeesh....

You could drop the tank and have a shop install a fitting. (unless you know how to weld gas tanks dont try it...gas vapor can ignite even with the tank drained).

Or do a bulkhead like some fuel cells have.

I forget the model number on my reg but its red/black that looks kinda like a egg and it also has the bost reference. But for now its blocked at least untill the procharger

You could always run pushlock hose from the reg on back. Little cheaper.

If I run -10 to the reg should I just run -10 back to the tank?

I forget the model number on my reg but its red/black that looks kinda like a egg and it also has the bost reference. But for now its blocked at least untill the procharger

You could always run pushlock hose from the reg on back. Little cheaper.

The return dosent have to be as big but I would use -8 or -10.

Well I found some brass fittings that I am going to use as a bulkhead. I am going to drill a hole in the sending unit and run pushlock hose along the frame. I will connect the pushlock hose to braided hose so in the engine compartment it looks nice.

I also found the Aeromotive Reg I am going to use. Looks kinda like an egg (how you were describing).

Should work out ok!

The return dosent have to be as big but I would use -8 or -10.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com