Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Steering Issue

Steering Issue

Working on my tube chassis right now for my 2001 Silverado, and planned to move all my control arms upwards to set it up for a low ride height. Problem is my rack can't be lifted, I have 1/2" from oil pan as is, so I thought about just flipping it to having it go in the spindle from underneath, but now I run into clearance issues. So what I'm thinking about doing is when I mount to engine 1-2" higher up. Still flip the tierod, but then convert to a heims steering system. Here are some pictures, if anyone has a better idea speak up! Thanks guys!

you can see the clearance on a stock engine height and rack height

here is the same rack height with my control arms in mock up height, 20* angle upwards while the lower arms sits at 0*

now if I flip them, you can see it would hit the control arms, not as bad angle but still not where it needs to be.

here is a picture of similar heims setup I plan
      Nick Schiffer

2001 Silverado
      Currently Fabricating Full Tube Chassis

Special Thanks to:
      Air Ride Technologies - Wilwood Engineering
      ...back in the day

no one?
      Nick Schiffer

2001 Silverado

Special Thanks to:
      ...back in the day

Country Flag: United States
      Are you saying that with the LCAs horizontal that the UCAs will be running 'uphill' from the UBJ toward the chassis by 20°? If so, that sounds a bit scary, as the roll center would be significantly below the ground level and a "zero steer" spindle arc would not at all agree with the outer tierod arc (translation: BUMPSTEER). If it's just for a cruiser, the roll center issue is probably minor. But I suspect that the bumpsteer would get really annoying rather quickly.

It might be possible to tame the bumpsteer by skewing the UCA and LCA chassis side pivots in either/both plan and side views (I think that's what GM did with the G-body and the earlier "Accudrive" arrangements for UCAs inclined at much shallower angles than 20°). Got a 3-D suspension program handy?

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

no no, the upper control arm and lower is factory geometry, the 20* is what the tierod angle is if I left it at stock location, while the lower is 0* Im going to flip it, (hense the picture) to bring it back done then raise the rack to get it on the same plane as LCA, I was just seeing if any of you guys saw another option I may have overlooked.
      Nick Schiffer

2001 Silverado

Special Thanks to:
      ...back in the day

Country Flag: United States
      In that case, the RC height should be OK. But there will still be huge bumpsteer. 20° seems like an awful lot to be compensating for with a bumpsteer correction kit, and torsion on the steering arms concerns me a bit.

Maybe we need a front view sketch, drawn somewhere near to scale . . .

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

am I misunderstanding you or you misunderstand me haha

Above is what I currently have as a dilemma, Factory mounted steering, but I moved all my control arm mounts upward since I want to retain factory geometry yet at a lower ride height.

20* is NOT what I'm going to run it was simply showing you what it would be if I were to mount it like that, when it's all said an done I will raise my rack up and flip it to the bottom of the spindle and the tie rod will lay at 0* along with the lower control arm. I don't know why you need a sketch if you look at the pics and read what I'm saying it clarifies it.
      Nick Schiffer

2001 Silverado

Special Thanks to:
      ...back in the day

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com