Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need help selecting a color

I need some help selecting a color for my car. Its a 69 cutlass convertible. White top/white seats. I like dark blue, but have been unable to come up with a color I like. I already bought 500 bucks worth of paint but didnt like it, so I guess I cam paint my lawn mower with it.

Any pics of A bodies in blue anyone?

My second choice is red, so any nice Reds as well...not orange red, a red red. I heard Boyds red is nice, but I havent seen it on an A body. Any pics you could post would be awesome! Im really stuck, this was supposed to be the fun part, but it a bit stressful!

Country Flag: United States
      you have to go with the blue! Chevy has an wesome dark blue metallic on their suburbans/tahoes/avalanches...

http://gm.ca/images/lmpforms/U311243...ado_header.jpg

There is a metallic blue 442 that rides around here locallay that looks amazing! Yours would look even better with the white top and seats...

Stay true to the blue!
      JC Scott

Nice color, but maybe a little dark for a white top, what about Vista Blue from an 08 mustang?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I vote for red.. or like you said, a lighter blue.
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

My favorite blue is Electon Blue I think it was 03-04 Z06 Corvette only. I am partial to black or red though.

Bright Blue Met B/C

Hi - We recently painted a 68 Coupe with a Chevy Bright Blue Mettalic. Chromabase Paint Code K8904 K Alt#2. The Color was great on this car with the white stripes. I think it would look fantastic with a white top. It may be the same color the other guy was referencing.

the best way to come up with an idea, is to walk around different car dealers, or go to a local auto body shop and ask to see some color swatches.
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by muthstryker
      the best way to come up with an idea, is to walk around different car dealers, or go to a local auto body shop and ask to see some color swatches.
      Color swatches are sometimes hard to use because it is hard to get a good idea of what the color will be like across the whole car (especially with metallic colors)... But going to a dealership and looking at the new cars gives you more of an idea of what the shades will look like...
      JC Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Autos2NV
      Hi - We recently painted a 68 Coupe with a Chevy Bright Blue Mettalic. Chromabase Paint Code K8904 K Alt#2. The Color was great on this car with the white stripes. I think it would look fantastic with a white top. It may be the same color the other guy was referencing.
      Definately a nice color...looks great with white..a bit on the bright side though. I'll have to check out the swatch

Quote Originally Posted by muthstryker
      did it this weekend..now Im more confused!! Having trouble because most of the newer colors have some sort of pearl in them, and I dont think pearl is gonna look right on the car.

I did see the Vista blue on an 08 mustang with white stripes and it looked awesome. But theres a TON of flake in that paint, maybe even a bit too much.

I also looked at the dark blue that chevy and pontiac have, and again there was alot of purple side tone happening.

Quote Originally Posted by justasquid
      I vote for red.. or like you said, a lighter blue.
      The blue you have pictured looks just like tahitian turquoise that they had back in the day

How about dusk blue? My car has a black top but white might look sharp.

This was an awesome blue in person.

69 RS Rat. Ocean View, De. 19970 If you wake up and you can put your feet on the floor, IT'S A GOOD DAY!!!

Sorry so big of pic. Need help resizing. Computer illiterate.
      69 RS Rat. Ocean View, De. 19970 If you wake up and you can put your feet on the floor, IT'S A GOOD DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CANTEX
      How about dusk blue? My car has a black top but white might look sharp.
      Is that code 51 from 1969? That looks really nice, and thats the color I have!

I can't remember the color code, but GM calls it "Indigo Blue Metallic"
      2003 S10 de-Xtremed - 4.3, 5-speed, bagged, 18" Centerlines
      For Sale : ATS Spindles and SPC Adj. UCAs for G-body

Quote Originally Posted by conVerted
      Is that code 51 from 1969? That looks really nice, and thats the color I have!
      Yes it is... code 51. I think it would look sharp with the white against it.

Could you let me know what blue you decided on? The pictures I found of your car after the paint job area color i would probably choose. Thanks

Jim

Also, do you remember the color of your primer, how many coats of base and how many of clear you used? Thanks again.

Jim

Country Flag: Canada
      Dark charcoal
      Like the new police package
      Tahoes etc.
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com