Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1973 Buick Century w/ L-92 swap

I purchased this 73 Buick Century 2dr as my 1st car in 1996. It was grandma-fresh. 38,000 on it and rust free (a big deal for anything over 10-yrs old in WI). I took it home and slapped on some blacked-out 14" Camaro rallies. Then some KYB shocks and 1 1/4" & 1" sway bars. I autocrossed it then. My saying was its not the fastest car out, but probly the loudest and most fun!

1997 pics (the date stamp is wrong):

I eventually put on some better coils (cut/lowered) and some GW rear control arms. And swapped in a quick ratio (f-body) steering box.

I ran 15x8s all around next-never dug the big/little wheel combo.

Rebuilt the rear w 3.42s and Eaton POSI.

Eventually 17x9s and 275-40-17s went all around coutesy of 02 Camaro SS take offs (couldn't insure a whole Camaro at the time-under 25).

Swapped on a 4-barrel intake, Holley 600 and Bow-tie Overdrives 200-4R (now for sale). This was back around 2000.

Next, I fixed some thing things I'd always disliked about the styling of the car. I took off the huge, heavy, UNDERBITE-looking front bumper and Greg Rea at Excel Auto Body here in town made me a custom lower front end. They also shaved the emblems and side trim. I wasn't ready to paint the car yet, so they shot the whole car in color w no clear (looks suede).

That was back in 02. In early 03 my 1st son (Patrick) was born. We had another in 05 (Kristopher). And you know the story...the car was parked and neglected for a few years.

But, I'm hoping to change that now.

I wish I had pics that weren't dirty, disassembled and on jack shtands....but:

My parts pile includes:
      08 Escalade 6.2L all-auminum L92 (403 stock hp) - never ran
      C5 front/rear brakes (engineered velocity kit)
      2" drop spindles
      Global West front upper control arms, del-a-lum bushings
      315/35/17 Hoosiers (all around) - undecided on wheels, just know they'll be 17x11s
      -still hunting for a manual trans. Want an overdrive. Thinking T56, TKO-600, or Richmond.

-Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

73-77 A-bodies are a neglected group. Parts aren't the easiest to come by. So I'm up for any input on what parts will fit (off more popular years) and any manufacturers who offer parts for these.

I'm in the researching stage for the late model engine/manual trans swap.

The car will stay a street car but also raced on the local road courses. Think vintage nascar/trans am, w a modern twist.
      -Shaun-

LOVE IT! ive always been a fan of the 73-77's any GM. sad they are kind of ignored. I was always impressed by them.

is that front pan made of fiberglass? how did he come up with the form? did he just hack up an OEM bumper and then use that as the form?

The front end is reinforced sheetmetal. The grille is 2 grilles combined (w some cut off). It is pretty much free-formed. I was originally going to cut down and re-fit the bumer (tight to the body), but Greg talked me into this. I'm happy!

I may add an air dam below when time permits.

Thanks for the compliment!
      -Shaun-

I love the frontend. Real talent there, almost looks stock. That makes me wish I still had the 73 Cutlass I drove in high school.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Thanks.

It's funny how many people comment on having a similar car in high school. I guess I'm the only one who hung onto my mid 70s high school cruiser.
      -Shaun-

Nice project there. Stepping out of the box is always cool. I have always liked the midsize cars of this era, especially the chevelle laguna s3 of 73-73. This is my daily driver.
      Roger

Thanks Roger!

And, Well done on your car!
      I love it. Its like a life size hot-wheel!
      -Shaun-

Quote Originally Posted by subtlez28
      Thanks.

It's funny how many people comment on having a similar car in high school. I guess I'm the only one who hung onto my mid 70s high school cruiser.
      mine was a 75 monte. poly sway bar bushings, short tires on some 15 x 8 steelies. man I was pimpin.

11" seems wide for the front- I know these 3rd gens have big wheelwells, but... I was under the impression that tires that wide in the front leads to wandering on the hwy, maybe hydroplaning issues, but I've never done it, so you know better than me
      anyway, I always liked the '73 GMs, all of them. I'm one of the weirdos that LIKES the big bumper. your setup is cool, looks likes a '73 laguna. cool stuff!
      Keith C.

Yes 11s are big for the front. However, I think they will clear. If they don't the inner fenders will get modded or axed all together.

In the 90s people said 8s wouldn't clear up front, but I always wanted big rrims front and back. They cleard. Then eventually I put 9s all around w 275/40/17s, they fit-no problem. Next come the 11s.

Are 11s extreme for the front, yup! Will they tramline on semi ruts, yup.

The point is to get all the grip possible on the front for the road course. Guys are running 11s all around on C4s and 4th gen f-bodies. I don't want to go so extreme w my Z28....thats where the Buick comes in.

Again, think vinatge nascar, w modern road race parts. I want this to be a street legal car, but have a very stock-ar (as in race-car) feel. I may even axe the carpet. Heck interior parts are hard to come by for these forgotten a-bodies anyway. And it will eventually get the cage I cannot bring myself to put in the Z28.

Also, UPDATE:
      I'm getting a Liberty-faceplated T56 from a member here. Its hopefully going to help w that race car feel (clutchless shifting-like a jerico).
      -Shaun-

That's a cool car. I't nice to see people building more than Camaros.

Can't wait to see what the car looks like out of the garage.

I've always been partial to the 73 Monte Carlos. I'd love to build one Pro-Touring style.

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      Last edited by TonyHuntimer; 03-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Awesome project! I love the vibe. I love the fact that it isn't a Laguna or a Malibu. One of my early cars was a mint and flawless baby blue
      '76 Pontiac Grand Lemans 2 door (with a vinyl top to boot). We got in '87 with 31K miles on the 301 for a lousy $700. That car was fantastic to
      drive... so effortless. I always wished I could've done a CAN/AM thing with it or the like, but alas, it was just time to let it go. We sold it to a tow
      company for $300 in '94 with a mere 52k miles on it. So sad.

Thanks for the kind words and pics guys!

I haven't fully committed to a wheel yet.
      1-Black center 17x11 ZR1 style wheels are cheap (like $550 a set), but require spacers-which I already have from running 4th gen 17x9 10-spokes (no custom backspacing avail-that I know of)
      2-Vintagewheelworks 17x11 Vintage 40s (custom backspacing-$349 each)
      3-wheelvintiques 17x11 Billet Buick ralleys ($675 each)

4-What I would really like, and would fit the vibe of the car better would be custom offset aluminum slots in 17x11. American racing calls them "Ansen® Sprint"s. However they do not make them in 17x11s or w custom offset... Anyone know who can/does?

Anyone have any other suggestions for a strong 17x11 wheel that won't kill the project's budget? I like the ZR1's price but don't want to run spacers. I need to clear the C5 brakes. I don't want to go bigger than 17, and cannot go smaller (the brakes). I would like something that fits the vintage road racer vibe, but these will be raced on, so they need to be strong, light, and not kill me on price.
      -Shaun-

I love these

but, alas, they only go up to 9". cheap though, it's a steel wheel, only $63!
      Keith C.

I like the look of some stock-car type wheels. I had some 15x8 bart wheels on a long time ago. I didn't keep them because of fit/finish issues-went to 15x8 black rallies w police caps for a while.

Anyway, I thaught about getting custom 17x11 steelies made up, but imagine the weight diff from steel to aluminum in a 17x11 would be significant.

Unsprung weight = bad!
      -Shaun-

Awesome build. We need more pro-tour 73-77 A bodies. Please finish it

Great looking car. I love those cars and how they look, but they are often completely forgotten.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

very cool car...

I have always thought about pro touring a car like that. I love that body style.

Growing up some old lady had one of those up the street... I always thought it looked pretty cool. Nice to see one being done up though.. That front end is amazing too. I love the whole build.. good luck with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com