Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

3/8' to -8 adapters?

I have the stock fuel tank in my 69 Camaro and need to convert it to a -8 AN fitting to run the fuel system. Summit makes an adapter to convert 1/2" hard line to -8, but i cant find one for 3/8" to -8. Do I need to run a short piece of 1/2" and connect it to the 3/8 with rubber hose or is there a better way? Is there anyone that makes a 1/2" setup to replace the 3/8" line in the tank? Thanks for the help, dj

I ran a seperate 1/2" pickup tube in and then ran one of the 1/2" hard line to #8 male fittings. The nice thing is the 3/8" line is still available for a small nitrous system feed. (I'm thinking of a 250-300hp shot for fun...)

I've also read of people modifiying the pickups by changing the pickup tube and using JB weld epoxy or cutting up a new pickup and tig welding in a bigger pickup tube.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible project LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1972 Corvette LT1 Stock
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

You should be able to flare the 3/8" tube to 37 degree flare and use an aircraft backup sleeve and flare nut, then use a -6 to -8 double male adapter.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks for the help guys, I should be able to get something together now.

Whats the point of going from 3/8 to 1/2 inch? Your fuel system is only as good as your smallest segment.
      Todd

I thought the same thing when I did pretty much the exact same mod as dj3. I cut off the factory roll on the sending unit and used a stainless 3/8" compression x 1/2" male adapter. I then used a 1/2" al female coupler to a -8 adapter with -8 line up to the mechanical pump. I opened up the insides of the male adapters with a unibit in an effort to get more flow, but I doubt it did anything. Why do it this way? I hope to upgrade the stock style tank one day, and when I do, I will already have the -8 line there. As for why go from 1/2 to 3/8- I figure until the tank upgrade the -8 will still add more volume. (don't hold me to that last statement) Either way, it's an upgrade over the factory 5/16 line!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69
      Whats the point of going from 3/8 to 1/2 inch? Your fuel system is only as good as your smallest segment.
      My new engine combo is 600HP and the fuel pumps have the -8 inlets, so i figured a short run of 3/8 out of the tank wouldnt hurt. I was trying to put off buying a new tank with a simple fix. I probably should do what 68sixspeed said with the horsepower I have, since it looks like hes putting down some crazy number with a small block.

Prodigy Customs told me I could modify a stock sender with a 1/2 inch line. You may want to consider that if budget is a huge concern. I said *** it and ordered a Ricks Tank with a -8 AN. Of course I am ALL IN. I did get a really good price from Frank on my tank. Of course I think I am on the third tier above the top tier on the discount scale. I still don't think you are gaining a damn thing even if you use a .25 of 3/8 line. That 3/8 line still has to keep that -8 AN full. In fact they recommend a larger diamter feed line to the pump the the output.
      Todd

Is adding a sump to the rear of the tank out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by another69
      Is adding a sump to the rear of the tank out of the question?
      Welding on gas tanks make me nervous.

In the latest PHR there is an article on the problems they had using a stock small-diameter fuel line in their 600HP Chevelle.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

dj3-
      Welding on a gas tank is really no big deal if it's new ('69 replacements are reasonable, about $120). If used, I think there are several ways to do it safely, one of which involves dry ice. I just finished adding a sump to a friend's chevelle (new tank), and I'm kicking myself for not doing it to my own car when I had the chance. We used a kit from C. E. , which showed how to "baffle" the stock tank- it's really simple and (seems) effective. We leak checked it with compressed air and soapy water. I MIG welded it, but TIG welding would have been better if I had the equipment. The nice part is the 1/2" npt ports that make it really easy to run AN lines.

Using the stock 3/8 pickup but -8 past the electric pump solved all my fuel issues. Pushing 575 HP 10.99@124. Maybe I can get that Chevelle in the magazine to spot me some lengths since I have less CI and less HP

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com